Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MIB3 box office - $620 Million Worldwide

Hero1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

This is actually not doing well for Sony.. The budget was $375 million including marketing. They basically get 50% back from what it makes at the box office..so to break even they needed mib3 to make $750 million worldwide.. Mib3 is going to finish with about $150 million in the US and maybe $250 million around the world. So a total of $400 million which is lower than MIB & MIB2.. With the increase of movie ticket prices(and the addition of 3d which raises tickets) the attendance is well down.. If the movie had a budget of $100 million it would have been a good result but believe me this has lost a lot of money for Sony.

Just came back from seeing it. I liked it quite a bit. The movie theater was packed; rainy weekend here in the northeast after all. I had trouble finding parking when I arrived at the theater... that was a tip off that there might be a lot of people. We arrived just on time for the 3D showing, so I asked the gentleman who took our tickets whether there were a lot of people in the theater and he replied that there were. We got in while the previews were still rolling and the theater was indeed packed. We couldn't see many available seats and ended up taking two that were very close to the front.

People laughed throughout the movie... that "O...K..." line always gets me. The overwhelming majority of the audience clapped at the end, and people looked like that had really enjoyed it as they walked out. It will be interesting to see if this type of turnout is an anomaly at this particular theater on this particular day, or weather what I saw today will be reflected nationally in the sales numbers.

• Admin

well it only did 8 million on friday.. so its headed for about 24 million for the weekend which is a 60% drop from last weekend (not great) avengers will probably beat it next weekend and thats already made 530 million..

• Admin

Looks like its doing well overseas!

MIB 3 held well in a few of its major markets and wound up in first place once again at the overseas box office. Meanwhile, Snow White and the Huntsman did solid business in its debut, while Prometheus put up some strong numbers a week ahead of its U.S. opening.

MIB 3 added $78.6 million to bring its foreign total to $274.6 million through less than two weeks in theaters. The movie eased 29 percent to $15.4 million in China, and held about even in Germany $5.34 million) and the U.K. ($4.88 million) following soft debuts in both of those markets. The movie also added $7 million in Russia, $5.3 million in Japan, $3.8 million in South Korea, $3.7 million in Mexico, $3.7 million in Australia, $3.2 million in France, and $3 million in Brazil. It's already passed Men in Black II's $251.4 million foreign total, and it should eclipse the first Men in Black's $338.7 million sometime next weekend.

<box office mojo>

and held up pretty well in the US...

MIB 3 fell 46 percent to an estimated $29.3 million in its second weekend. That's actually a very strong hold for a sequel coming off a Memorial Day opening: in comparison, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian both dropped 55 percent in their second weekends. The movie has now earned $112.3 million, which is a tad off from Men in Black II's $115.6 million 10-day total.

• Members

Sometimes i wonder... i know america is big and many people live there... BUT. I never get this in my head why the movies gonna run with over 100 million ~ earning dollars...
Why is that so?

So that 5,34 million dollars are the complete cash from all weeks? Then the movie falls down. 4 Million in first week... 1,3 million in second week. Very bad.

Edit:
Ok now here the results from Germany:
450.000 visitors and 4,3 million €uro (5,3 million $)

This is a plus from 35000 visitors more than the first week and now an total gross about 8,3 million € (10,3 million $)

Thats a good result. The bad weather and many good reviews and mouth to mouth advice will have done his job.

Still #1!!! (#2 Snow White & the Huntsman 390.000 visitors)

Edited by BWS.com

Thats a good result. The bad weather and many good reviews and mouth to mouth advice will have done his job.

I seem to remember saying something like this would happen. :clap:

ahem i do believe i also said this lol. No-one believed me about the weather but im telling you in the UK it was dead the opening week when it was sunny and packed the second week when it rained. It may not make a difference in sunny Countries but in the UK our activities revolve around the weather lol.

And also in my experience, films get worse as the trilogy goes on, people might not have expected a 3rd to be very good but it turns out it better than the 2nd and so word of mouth would be very good for this film.

Edited by Jazzy Julie

I just really happy that it ended up having a great weekend worldwide. Will worked really hard traveling everywhere, and doing what it took to promote this movie. Yeah, the soundtrack was a problem. Yeah, the Avengers and snow white were strong competition. Yeah, the reporter slap was more famous than the movie during the release week. But still people, we have a ball game.