JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Grad School Application Status Update

Big Ben

Not that anyone particularly needs to know where I stand in my attempt to get into Grad school, but I figured i'd give ya'll an update anyway. Since the Fall when I decided to switch my path up and follow my passion for creating and writing and apply to MFA programs in Creative Writing, I've applied to six schools. So after six applications and a butt-load of money in application fees I've got my first rejection letter today. So I guess i'm officially not going to be a Michigan Wolverine. Which is okay I guess since I've been a lifelong Badger fan it may have been difficult to live with myself if i did go. Anyway that's the update. 1 down and 5 to go, fingers crossed.

i wish you all the best!

what do they base your application on man? In australia its just based on the score you get in your final year of high school so its obviously diff. over there

Well this would be Graduate school, which comes after a normal four year college post high school. It kind of depends on the the school but they look all kinds of things. Mostly they look at the writing samples you send in, and your transcripts from college, letters of recommendation from your professors, your letter of intent and past publications. Unfortunately for me I'm at a disadvantage because I never intended to follow my dream in college so I never got published. They also look at your GRE scores which is like the SAT's bit for graduate schools. Whats got me worried is those two were my top pick and my safety school which doesn't bode well for the middle ones. It feels like a bit of a racket because the GRE costs $200 to take and $23 for every score you send. In the end each application totals somewhere around $100. Leaves you shaking your head because your out all this money for a generic letter saying the same thing, "this is the most talented pool of applications ever" yada yada yada "sorry we can't take you" yada yada yada "good luck" I've been tempted to get a black light and see if there is any hidden message on the back that says 'thanks for the money, send us some more next year." :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ever thought of going abroad? In the Netherlands, for example, public universities have to accept everybody with a high school degree, and they are still the 3rd universities in the world country wise. I'm sure there are also english speaking countries that make it easier to entry a university than the us. a lot of non english countries also offer a lot of english classes. My university for example is completely english speaking even tho it is in the netherlands. well anyway, keep it up.