JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

50 Cent Says New Album Is A Predestined Classic

bigted

G-Unit leader 50 Cent is still making fans wonder what his forthcoming new LP will have to offer by hinting at a balance of good and evil on the follow-up to 2009's Before I Self Destruct.

Calling the LP a predestined classic, 50 shared his thoughts on its production.

"My new album is epic it defines the struggle between good and evil. There's a bright side and a dark side on it. #SK," he tweeted October 23rd.

"I had to write it that way so I don't lose people. When you see someone say they miss the old 50 know that person hasn't grown with me. #SK" (50 Cent's Twitter)

Last month, 50 said the album was a go and ready to enter the mixing/editing stage.

"I feel like I'm done with the album, I'm going through the mixing process," 50 revealed in an interview. "Music, for me, it marks time. I believe a classic is timing. I haven't made a song that I felt like wasn't up to standard, where you listen to it and say, 'This is garbage.' You just got to be in the mood for it, maybe. The timing might have been bad during the release for some of the actual songs but it's not necessarily a record that you say, 'OK, I can't listen to this. What is this? Turn it off,' because I make all of my music up to standard. If that's the case, the stuff I did for promotional purposes, for free, wouldn't be talked about like it's so good." (Shade 45)

In August, he opened up about his record label, Interscope, and struggles to put the project out through them.

"It's actually my final requirement. My fifth album and the final requirement for Interscope. I had some difficulties with the actual system," 50 explained in an interview. "There are people there that are afraid to lose their job -- they've seen other people get fired. I think they're afraid to make some decisions that need to be made right away, they just sit and look...We've had some conversations communicated to develop plans for different things and it's not actually executed in the time plan that we've created. And I get frustrated and I start doing things, like I put the record out." (MTV UK)

A few weeks prior, the G-Unit General publicly aired out his Interscope frustrations.

"Man I'm not releasing a album i can't believe interscope is this f*cked up right now. I apologize to all my fans.," he tweeted July 27th.

"I will work with other artist on there projects but I will not put out another album. They dropped the ball with me one time to many." (50 Cent's Twitter)

50 Cent? Classic? Impossible. I don't care that the current cats on the radio are so bad that they make him look good. Unless he asserts himself and flips his style drastically, I could never see the word "classic" being associated with him. When the last time a Hip-Hop album TRULY EARNED the status "CLASSIC"?

He ain't really as wack as he used to be 'cause I thought that his last album "Before I Self Destruct" was a step in the right direction for him just like "Recovery" was a step in the right direction for Eminem and I'd say that his "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" is closer to being a classic than anything Lil' Wayne or Rick Ross ever put out and I could argue that it's possibly one of the last great albums in hip hop in the last 10 years, it's just the stuff he put out after that was so weak that most people forget that... And sure it's true that he'll probably never be one of the great mcs but that's 'cause he's too inconsistant in trying too hard to have a hit record... If he could return to "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" form then I'll definately be buying it...

We all want people to be open minded and not blindly hate on Fresh Prince's music but it bothers me that some of us here just seem to just blindly hate on certain rappers, I try not to do that since I rather be open minded.... It's the record labels fault more than anything that they don't promote the most talented artists but the reality is that every rapper had to do something worthy to get a record deal 'cause like I said before it's like being the 12th man on the Knicks that has more skills than all the arm chair quarterbacks that wish they could be in the NBA, I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt to not blindly hate...

the problem that has held him back is his ego in thinking that he's greater than he really is and his worry over trying to have pop hits, if he could just get the mixtape hunger that he had when he got his record deal then he could definately put out a classic, he does seem to be going in that direction, that diss track against Game and Wayne was his hardest song in years

I dont wanna bust the bubble here or anything, but about 99% of the hip hop cosmos regards grodt as a classic. I dont like it that much tho. I also dont think he has it in him. A good album maybe, but a classic? To answer AJ's question, about 99% (again) the of the whole music world considers Kanyes last solo album a classic.

Edited by Turntable

i remember when "grodt" came out back in 2003, I wasn't really that much into the hype that everyone else was, one of my friends from high school during my senior year burned a copy of it from his computer for me and I liked it but I thought there was better albums out there at that time too, I remember the 2002-2003 season had a lot of great albums, it was actually one of the better times in commercial hip hop compared to today

This was the list of albums that I played a lot during my senior year of high school:

LL Cool J "10"
Will's "Born To Reign"
Nas "God's Son"(the true classic from this time period, probably my favorite from Nas even though I think "It was written" was his best)
Busta Rhymes "It Ain't Safe No More"
KRS-ONE "Spiritual Minded"
Public Enemy "Revolvotion"
DMX "The Great Depression"
Jay-Z "Blueprint 2"(I know I might be the only one in the world that actually likes this better than "Blueprint" but I thought it had more balance to it)
Ja Rule "The Last Temptation"(a lot of people started turning on him when 50 came out but I still liked this album better than "GRODT")
Eve "Eve-o-lution"
The Roots "Phrenology"
Bringing Down The House Soundtrack
Brown Sugar Soundtrack
8 Mile Soundtrack

I could make a big list of all the great r&b albums that came out then too from Keith Sweat, R. Kelly, Dru Hill, Blackstreet, Boyz II Men, Musiq Soulchild, Kelly Rowland

A few more albums also come to mind from 2002/2003:

Naughty By Nature "iicons"(a lot of people slept on this album but it was dope)
Wyclef Jean "The Masquerade"(my favorite album from him besides "The Carnival")
Fat Joe "Loyalty"(sure it's a lil' disappointing compared "J.O.S.E." but I liked it)

rappers like kanye and 50 are dope compared to the garbage out there on the radio but they don't measure up compared to the legends

I think there are times when both of them are at the same level as the other guys and times when the put together and okay song. I don't think Kanye's done anything good since 2008. His album with Jay-Z is his first step back in the right direction. Beyond my on disinterest in his last album, I can hardly see it considering as a classic. To be honest, I never saw a music video air, heard a song on the radio, or hear ANYONE talk about since 2 weeks after it dropped. When my local Borders closed and CD's were 70% off, they STILL had copies of it. 50 Cent interested me back in 1998. I previewed his albums and I usually think he has 2-5 good songs on each of them. When you don't respect the man behind the music, its hard to respect the music. I don't think it's okay to be good just because you are being compared to some of the worst music ever made.

it's really hard to defend either 50 or Kanye 'cause of how they come off as arrogant and conceited in their interviews and their music ain't really that special but i don't hate on them though at the same time, i just don't listen and like who i like