JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Fat Joe To Release First Mixtape Of Career

bigted

People need to stop sleeping on my man Fat Joe, he's been putting in work, "The Darkside Vol. 1" 's one of the great albums out in recent years:

Fat Joe Plans Release Of First Mixtape, Calls It The 'Hardest Mixtape Out'
Penned by Allen Starbury, Published 09/22/2011

Fat JoeDuring the summer, Fat Joe emerged as a lighter version of himself in a new music video. Now, the rapper will do another first in his career -- drop a mixtape.

Speaking with XXLMag.com this week, the New York rapper revealed that he'll be releasing a mixtape sequel to his 2010 album, The Darkside Vol. 1, which will be followed by an official album.

Joe calls it the "hardest mixtape out."

"We have the mixtape, The Darkside, Vol. 2 -- we gonna drop the mixtape no later than two-and-a-half-weeks," he says. "That's coming out super hard though. Not ever regular hard. It's gonna be the hardest mixtape out; nothing nice about it. The mixtape is too hard. Sh** coming out like what a street anthem mixtape should sound like. This is my first mixtape. We're gonna put it out as a mixtape and hit the people with that raw, street, Joe Krill."

Joe also revealed that the street joints, "Drop A Body On Em" and "Massacre On Madison", are just a couple of the tracks fans should expect on the upcoming mixtape.

Then, on his upcoming album, he says there will ne "crazy new sh**," including a potential collaboration with Maxwell.

"We gonna have them joints on the mixtapes then we gonna have some new sh**," he tells XXL. "Crazy new sh**! Then we working on the album too. We haven't named it yet. The first single with Chris Brown is retarded. It's called 'Another Round,' produced by Cool & Dre and Young Lad. We got joints [on the album] produced by Rico Love; it's sounding great.

"With the album, we're gonna make that music that everyone can relate too," Joe continued. "It's still gonna be hard, but it's gonna be hit mania. You know exactly what it is. The joint with Chris Brown is a super joint. I got another joint I'm trying to get Maxwell on. You know, I'm talking to the ladies. I lost that weight, I gotta talk to them."

A release date for his forthcoming untitled new album has not been announced.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn I was just listening to his "My FoFo" 2005 diss track towards 50 and I gotta say that's probably in the top 5 hardest diss tracks of the 2000s:

I was listening to "All Or Nothing" album last night, it's underrated 'cause it got a nice mix of street songs like "Lean Back Remix" with Mase, Eminem, Remy Ma, and Lil' Jon, "My FoFo","Safe 2 Say"(The Incredible), and "Temptation" Pts. 1 & 2, and commercial songs like "Get It Poppin" with Nelly, "Rock Ya Body", "So Hot" with R. Kelly, and "Hold You Down" with J-Lo

My thoughts on Fat Joe have been mixed, but have pretty much negative. He may have talent but he pretty much squanders it like so many other rappers. There's a lot of things that bug me about him. His praise of cocaine like it's God's gift to the hood. His flagrant use of the n word (I know a lot of rappers are guilty, but he seems to drop a ton of these in his songs). And his association with other wack rappers like Lil' Wayne and such. I hate seeing people like T.I. do this too. And his content has really fallen off, IMO. I'll probably never be a big fan because of stuff like this.

Association breeds similarity. It also creates healthy competition. Unfortunately, he's not challenged the same way he used to be.

Edited by Silver Tiger

I know people saying that Fat Joe sold out but he still does songs with Preemo, LL, and KRS, not just Wayne and Ross, it's just people notice the songs that he does with Wayne and Ross more since they're bigger names right now but it's not like he forgot where he came from, it's just like people say Will forgot his Philly roots and that he broke up with Jeff...

Anyway it's all about the music with me, no rapper or person in general is perfect, we all have something that you could criticise, at the end of the day Fat Joe puts out good music so I give him props for that

He is back to putting out good music since his last album. All or Nothing is a dope album too, I used to listen to it a lot. Fat Joe has his flaws, but he seems like a nice dude, he never lost toiuch with his homebase completely, even on his most commercial album he had one Premo Beat.. He always reps D.I.T.C.. He always supports young street Rappers.. And he brought us two classics (J.O.E. and Don Cartagena) and he brought us Big Pun and thank him for that

I'm with Chris on this. I have positive and negatives about him. He has a nice voice and flow but his subject matter is often quite limited and predictable. He manages to make some really great songs and many not-so great songs. As a business man, he has made a lot of good decisions to keep himself popular enough but I've never liked anyone from his clique. In many ways, I look at him the way I look at Jay-Z.

Technically this ain't really the first mixtape for Fat Joe since he released a G-Unit diss mixtape a couple years ago called "Gay Unit"

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/2766/gayunit.html

You could really say that a lot of artists are predictable at times, and like I said there's nobody that's perfect, at times people call Will a hypocrite for saying gangsta rap is wack and then doing songs with rappers like Snoop Dogg and Lil' Kim... I admit that people can call me hypocritical sometimes too for dissin' 50 Cent for putting out violent songs when Ice Cube's one of my favorite rappers but they both release albums with parental advisory stickers, people act like 2Pac was Jesus as well but he put out violent material too, at the end of the day it's entertainment, the parents should raise the kids not the rappers 'cause they ain't preachers... The rap game would be boring if everybody sounded like Jay-Z and Fat Joe just like it'd be if every rapper sounded like Will and LL, I like variety...

The truth is that you shouldn't criticise a rapper you don't like for doing something that a rapper you like does too, for instance if you're gonna criticise Fat Joe for using the n word in his music, you can't overlook the other 99% of rappers who say it as well which obviously would include some of your favorite rappers... Obviously some entertainers are more talented than others, that's why I think Ice Cube's better than 50 Cent but the reality is that neither are perfect people, I always liked 2Pac better than Biggie as well but I'm gonna front and act like I approve everything 2Pac said and did...

50 ain't getting arrested every 5 minutes like DMX is, sure that's true, but musically DMX is a better performer than 50 Cent is and is one of the best to ever get on the mic, it's just like Tiger Woods is a womaniser but he's one of the greatest performers in the history of golf, 99% of golfers are probably better people than Tiger Woods but they can't touch him on the golf course...