JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Chuck D flips 'Otis'

Big Ben

I agree there too. Since the moment I joined this forum my knowledge on real talent on hip hop has changed and improved a lot. I still listen to some crappy rappers, because they make some songs that I like. I guess thats why I have different playlists on my ipod. I have one thats called legendary, another is called southern rap, another its call that new ish, I have JJFP on another, and I listen to different music depending on how I feel. I cant see myself listenting to Rakim and KRS all the time, as I cant see myself listening to 50 cent and LiL Wayne all the time either.. In life it is all about balance guys.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just pretty pumped that I actually started a thread that got the 'Hot' label. But I gotta give it up to Chuck still doing what he does best, bringing in educated and civil discourse on a subject. If this was posted on a board like AllHipHop, it would have been filled with 'Chuck D is old' and 'Jay Z is a god' instead here we have an actual discussion, without resorting to name calling. That's probably why I still come around.

i think it's healthy to have discussions like this, when we don't is when this forum will become obsolete, michael hit a lot of points that're important and need to be known, i don't think everybody that lists jay-z and lil' wayne is a sellout but you can't front how at least some are ignorant and have limited views of hip hop based on what gets airplay and what the magazines say are the top artists and they don't form their own view, it's just like when a lot jumped off of ja rule's bandwagon when 50 dissed him for doing pop songs but failed to see the fact that 50 was singing with girls on his songs too, it's also kinda funny that pac and biggie were murdered right in the prime of their careers, people view them as perfect mcs which is unfair to those that're living, i could go on and on with examples but i'll leave it on the note that like chuck d was saying the history of music has to be respected

That video for the song "Otis" is even more distant from the title than the song itself. These old guys are dressed like teenagers just laughing like idiots and having fun with multi racial girls on a dismantled 300,000 car. And doing it on your face.

Haha I think the video is fun, I mean we all know they dont dress like that anymore.. Jigga is even a family man. It's just for fun, it is almost a throwbak video. I mean look at Kanyes last videos - damn near close to art. I do think they respect the history of music, I think that is why they called the song Otis at first place.

About our discussion: It's all love isn't it. We've all been doing this for a while now, haha. We've pretty much had the same discussion once a year for the last five years. I'm just happy that BigTed stopped posting long ass quotes from Chuck D's (He kinda has always been involved in our discussions haha) website that are completly off-topic :pound:

"If the Armageddon in Hip Hop hit and there was no money in it, who would still be rapping?" - I think some of us would be surprised. Fact is, guys like 50 Cent, P. Diddy and Jay-Z (not Lil Wayne though, he hasn't proved himself to be anything but a Rapper) pretty much lose money errtime they decide to focus on music for a while. They found ways of making money beyond music, much more money. Those guys are rich as hell. Yet a guy like 50 is pissed off as hell when Interscope pushes back his Album and puts all his energy into still releasing it, even though he knows he could use his time to make much more money with Vitamin Water. I'm just saying - we dont know what is going on inside dudes like that. Most of them eat, breathe and ish Hip Hop. Just like us. They just have been more sucesfull making money of what they love.

Edited by Turntable

I think the love for the music is undeniable on most of them. Probably they do listen to and respect the legends of hip hop. But as I said, music right now is about going for what sells, and people determine what is selling at the moment. Remember lost and found, and Will discussions about what to release and what not to? We ended up releasing party starter instead of Tell me why. Probably this is the reason why Will has been so distanced from music for so long. He loves hip hop. The real one. He can get more money promoting Jaden/Willow's careers, but he loves the game. What he dislikes is the way the game is Played nowadays, where if u don't have Drake or Lil Wayne crying on the hook, you're not selling your record. It ain't even coming out.

Edited by VIsqo

• 3 weeks later...

will has remained true to the game like you mentioned, personally i feel the same way, there's so much trash out there it's hard to be inspired as an artist, if there was better stuff out there and the music industry was supporting true artists i feel true aspiring artists like several of us on this board would be in a better position, that's why i feel that it's important for legends like will and mistachuck to keep going with their music so that way the new generation of true mcs could keep going as well, it takes all of us to keep hip hop alive...