JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

DJ Noodles & Nic Balz Present: The Black Album Unplugged

Back when all the mashups of Jay Z's album The Black Album were flooding the internet, it was hard to find a good one. DJ Dangermouse's The Grey Album (using The Beatles White album) is generally looked at as one of, if not the best out there. I'd suggest this could be a close second.

DJ Noodles and Nic Balz put out this gem of a mashup, and surprisingly it didn't get much attention. Using Jay's accapellas from The Black Album (and some from Jay's MTV Unplugged show) with the music of Nirvana's MTV Unplugged they created an actual mixtape that bears listening to more than once or twice.

All the links online I've found were dead, so I fortunately got my hands on a copy of this, thanks to a friend of mine. Feel free to share this with anyone you think might like this.

2zf4yv7.jpg
2hxxgye.jpg

01. Encore b/w "About a Girl"
02. Intro b/w "H to the Izzo"
03. Dirt of your Shoulders b/w "Lake of Fire"
04. Change Clothes feat. Pharell b/w "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam"
05. What More Can I Say? b/w "All Apologies"
06. P.S.A. b/w "Come as you Are"
07. Threats b/w "Plateau"
08. 99 Problems b/w "The Man Who Sold The World"
09. December 4th b/w "Pennyroyal Tea"

• 3 weeks later...

I listened to it a few times. Still have it. I liked it for the most part, but I wish it was a blend of the two unplugged performances, if that were possible. I think there's a difference in the vibes. I liked the way they rearranged some beats to fit. Wish they included more Nirvana vocals with Jay though. Still like it tho.