JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Django Unchained

Mr K

I hope Foxx wins an Oscar just to embarrass Will. Whatever Will follows MIB 3 with better be something good, or he'll be ripped even more than he is now. He should just retire and focus on his untalanted children.

Very harsh words indeed.. :boxedin:

I hope Foxx wins an Oscar just to embarrass Will. Whatever Will follows MIB 3 with better be something good, or he'll be ripped even more than he is now. He should just retire and focus on his untalanted children.

I am sorry WHAT???

Why is Will gonna retire, just because he turned this role down? Come on Rad.. there will be more projects in the future.

Okay, so maybe I posted out of anger,and the kids part was a little harsh, but I'm not gonna edit it out, it's done. If you are truly honest with yourself, when was the last actually good Will Smith movie? For me, I'd say it is "Enemy of the State", and that was in 1998! I've been a fan since the Fresh Prince days(never really been a music fan) and ID4 was my favorite movie as a kid, but his films have regularly dissapointed for a decade now! I am tired of defending him on other boards as an actor. I am tired of waiting for his truely great movie. I post here more out of memory for an actor I onced really liked, then being a current fan. Maybe he'll do somehting really cool with a great director and cast. I doubt it. It just seems he is content with being a safe, family-friendly blockbuster actor with occassional sappy Oscar-bait in there. He could be so much more.

Edited by Radewart

If you are truly honest with yourself, when was the last actually good Will Smith movie? For me, I'd say it is "Enemy of the State", and that was in 1998!

Well, that's very subjective. I mean, for me, personally, there have been some great movies since 'Enemy Of The State', such as 'Ali', 'The Pursuit Of Happyness' and 'I Am Legend' (in fact, I like these more than 'Enemy Of The State'). But again, it's something very subjective and everyone has his/her own opinion, his/her own taste.

That said, Will has proved he can be a very good actor when he wants to. He just makes mistakes when it comes to choosing great roles, roles that can change his career. But we're fans, we just can't stop supporting him because he doesn't do the movies we want him to do. Like Turntable said, while there are many fans unhappy with his decision of not doing this movie, there are many other fans who can't wait to see 'Men In Black 3'. It's all about taste.

Edited by Ale

• Members

Very harsh words indeed.. :boxedin:

Very true words indeed ...

I have to somewhat agree with Radewart on this one. Will Smith can't pass on something like this. It's a poor decision, no doubt. Jamie foxx is a good actor, but he does NOT command the screen like Will Smith does. Tarantino is an amazing director not just for critics, but for audiences too. No matter how good the movie is with Foxx, it would have been BETTER with Will Smith.

Will is starting to embrace this "Family-Friendly" Persona, and while it may be somewhat lucrative (From his perspective), Will views his Family as more important that his Fans or even an Oscar. AND FOR THAT I have to admire him, no matter what his Professional decisions are.

THAT BEING SAID... It's still a pretty bad decision. You DON'T turn down Tarantino! However, when you are WILL SMITH, you can turn it down and not lose a wink of sleep over it! :laugh:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Will's next projects MIB3 and M. Night's Movie. Both are gonna be fun.

Congrats to Jaimee ... Lets see what comes after MIB3. I still want to know, what Will's reason for rejecting the project is? If its for family reasons, its ok. But some sources even mention that the reason is that the Weinstein company is creating an Scientology critical movie... If thats the real reason, it would be more than sad...i want definately a statement from Will or QT on this one.

Edited by Jin

• Admin

It's so disappointing on so many levels.. I don't think Jamie Foxx would be great.. how many bad movies has he done recently? This could have been Will's chance to work with a great cast and a great director..and Will hasn't done this since Enemy of the State (opposite Gene Hackman with Tony Scott directing) Bad Boys II (Bruckheimer/Bay/Lawrence - probably the only exception)

Wow this thread was on fire! I dont think Enemy of the state is Will's last good movie, cmon dude.. He has the right to turn down or choose whatever movie he wants..