JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Django Unchained

Mr K

Foreign For Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained' Goes To Will Smith's Home Studio Sony (Even Though Universal Tried Hard)

EXCLUSIVE: Sources tell me that international on Quentin Tarantino's new Spaghetti Western Django Unchained is going to Sony to co-finance production later this year and distribute sometime in 2012. This after the filmmakers met with every major studio except Warner Bros. Of course, The Weinstein Company is taking domestic. But the surprise is that Universal International didn't have the inside track since it co-financed and took overseas on Tarantino's last film, Inglourious Basterds, in a very successful pairing ($201M international for a global cume of $321M). Actually, Universal really wanted Quentin's latest and tried to really step up. There was a big meeting this past Friday between Universal International and Quentin where the foreign guys went to extraordinary lengths to pull out all the stops. Employees wore T-shirts emblazoned with the languages of all the managing directors of the territories in town. And a bag of handmade scalps was presented to Tarantino -- a reference to the "100 Nazi scalps" from Inglourious Basterds to remind Quentin how well the studio did for that movie last time around. Instead, Django Unchained went to Sony because of its existing relationship with Will Smith, whom Quentin desperately wants to star in the film. "Having Will involved is the key. That's what the filmmakers want, and they think the best chance of making it happen is at his home studio," an insider tells me. UPDATE: Right now, Will is still pondering his role as a slave in the script, which I just read and would be a very risky project for the actor, who's known for carefully controlling his professional persona. Other top-flight casting will start immediately. The film is a take-off on the Sergio Leone/Eastwood "Man With No Name" films. According to the script, it's not a Spaghetti Western remake or reboot but a brand new story with a similar character and similar stylized violence from those 1960s films. Tarantino's Pulp Fiction producer Stacey Sher will produce with Pilar Savone and Harvey Weinstein. Getting the WME-repped Tarantino back behind the camera is another boost for the rebounding TWC.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/foreign-for-quentin-tarantinos-new-spaghetti-western-django-unchained-going-to-will-smiths-home-studio-sony-even-though-universal-tried-hard/

• Members

Thanks for the article Ale!!

Seriously, Will has been my number one since the first MIB in 1997. "Pulp Fiction" is my number 1 film of all time. If he decides against doing this movie, I will give up on following his career as closely as I did. I just won't be invested anymore. The movie sounds awesome and it's Tarantino for Pete's sake. By the time we reach 2012 Will will have been absent for almost 4 years and to come back with a Tarantino flick? You don't have to be an agent, an actor or a pr expert to know that that's the way to do it. If my dream of becoming an actor ever comes true I will always think about what people will say about me after I'm gone, my legacy. If you don't do that, then it's just a job, sth you do for the money. Turning down a Tarantino flick is not the way to be remembered.

Sheesh, sorry for the rant guys, I just feel really strongly about this project and I really really want it to happen :))

Gosia, by the time I got to your link it was too late. What did you put there?

• Members

Gosia, by the time I got to your link it was too late. What did you put there?

THE script (check out imdb Tarantino's forum)- pozdrowienia z Lodzi :wave2:

Tak myslalem, ze z Polka mam do czynienia;)) Dzieki za linka i pozdrowienia z 3miasta;)

• 2 weeks later...

Quentin Tarantino + Will Smith + Christopher Waltz = Dream Cast

This could be Will's chance to step in another league with an bad ass role like Clint Eastwood in Dirrty Harry. Quentin Tarantino is the perfect director for such a project. Plus Christopher Waltz, he is one of the best actors nowadays...I hope he does not reject this one...If you look back, his best role as an actor was in Ali, the main reason for this was surely Michael Mann.

• 2 weeks later...

It all certainly started out with fact. Around 5:30 PST Sunday morning, actor Idris Elba had some very cryptic and very interesting comments for the Twitterverse. Here’s what he had to say:

Having one of the biggest meetings of my professional life today…meeting a very controversial director for a very controversial part. :-/

Followed by:

On the plane to the destination of my fate…..ok…. a lil dramatic….destination of my life..?

The second Tweet was accompanied by an image of Elba on the aforementioned plane. Predictably, the rumors began shortly after and continue up to this point. But one rumor seems to have caught much more steam than any others. That being that Elba was on his way to meeting with Questin Tarantino, and the “controversial part” he spoke of was for the title role in Tarantino’s latest, Django Unchained.

The facts have ended long ago. Now we’re completely in speculation mode, and it’s been brought on by Elba’s comments of a “controversial director” and meeting for a “controversial part”. Speculation turned into rumor, and rumor quickly turned into people begging for these two to work together. But that’s all it is at this point, rumor.

For all we know, Elba could have been boarding a flight to Denmark for Lars Von Trier’s next film. Roman Polanski could have a script he wanted Elba to look into. These two are certainly more controversial than Tarantino even if neither of them have the current recognition or clout to give anyone the “biggest meeting of their professional life”.

If this rumor ends up being true, if Elba is in actuality meeting with Tarantino to take on the Django role, it raises a new series of questions. Mainly, what happened with the rumors regarding Will Smith in the role? Maybe nothing. Elba could be meeting to fill the role of the film’s villain that was earlier speculated to be filled by Samuel L. Jackson. We really don’t know, and until something official comes out, we’re just continuing to spin the rumor mill.

What we’re really trying to say here is that Idris Elba started some rumblings with those cryptic Tweets this morning, and more than a few would love to see him work with Tarantino. Of course, as solid bits of information regarding Django Unchained come out, we’ll be reporting on them. Until then, fan cast all you like.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/idris-elbas-twitter-comments-spin-django-rumor-mill.php