JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

God, please, no - Will to star in the new Shyamalan movie

Mr K

• Members

Here's where I read it:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75972

I haven't contributed to this forum in a while (I do visit it all the time though) but when I read this I just shrieked in terror. "Sixth Sense" is one of my all-time favorite films but ever since "Signs" M.Night has started a general decline in quality cemented by the terrible "Happening" and I haven't even seen "The Last Airbender" after I read the reviews! Surely, we might all be proven wrong and this might be Night's spectacular return to form but let's be honest - chances are slim:/

Of all the iteresting projects Will has in development (I still look forward to seeing "The Last Pharaoh", "Empire" and "Bad Boys 3") I have no earthly idea what would push him to make this his next feature so here's hoping that it falls apart....

Cheers
Mr K

P.S. Even Wachowski's HOOD sounds better even though they also haven't released a decent film since the first Matrix:/

I completley agree with everything you said. I read that and just shock my head in disbelief. I starting to wonder if I should move away from Will Smith, between this, the disaster that MIB 3 seems to be with the constant script problems and behind the scene problems(which seems to happen on every Smith movie and is getting worse), and the profliation of his damn kids! I can't take it anymore. I look at actors like Dicaprio or Pitt and think that's the career Smith should have. Working on quality diverse projects with A-list writers and directors instead of laughable hacks like Shyamalan in a generic sounding movie. He could be better then those guys also cause he can do comedy better then them. Will do "Uptown Saturday Night" with Denzel, something with Spielberg, that Michael Mann movie, hell even "City that Sailed" would be better than this!

Hey, at least it's not a remake. I am so desperate for a Will Smith film that I no longer care what project that is. I hope I won't have to wait another 5 years for this to come out. Oh and Shyamalan is from Philly. I don't know if that changes anything but I thought I'll bring it out...

• Members

I heard about this while ago,but don't wanna to say anything because I wasn't sure.I think that this news is absolutely true (sadly)and only reason is that Will wanna push Jaden's career by acting with him again.Honestly,I don't understand anything that Will do recently.That what they do with his kids is really "too much too soon" and if it continues I'm afraid that people going to hate them for couple years.I guess that Will and Jaden going to act in this movie,Willow will perform song from movie and Jada's going to be producer:-).I agree that he should (and can) have career like Brad,Johnny,Leonardo,etc.Just do your job (ACT) and let other people to do their as well.And Willow and Jaden had plenty of time to became a superstar or whatever they wanna became.
I'm really mad,I used to love his acting and music so much but I really don't understand what's going on with him last couple years...

I LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOOOOVE IT! Best Movie news I've heard in a while!

Shyamalan get a bad rap. You know why? Cuz he is a fantastic writer and Director, who happened to make a series of bad decisions. He is extremely talented, so much so, that he has continued to have an effect on the general public even though his recent movies have been garbage.

That's what a good writer does, he doesn't give up. EVEN when haters continue to hate. Studios continue to have faith in him because he IS A GREAT DIRECTOR!

And Honestly, do you guys really think that Will and his production company will allow Shyamalan to make something that is completely terrible? I doubt it. Not with the creative control that Will Demands. Look what he did with I Am Legend. He took a terrible Director and MADE the movie great.

Having Jaden will help the Box office as well as The CGI and action that is sure to be in the movie. Will and Jaden have a chemistry and likability factor that OVERSHADOWS Shyamalan almost completely.

Don't be so quick to write this one off yet y'all. You might just be surprised! :prof:

• Members

JusticeKnight - not giving up is not a sign of a good writer/director! It's a sign of perseverance and yes, it is a trait that a good writer should have but it is not the only trait. Do you know what else he/she should have? The ability to learn from one's mistakes. Unfortunately that is not something that Shyamalan does well...or even at all. People have neen talking about pacing and acting issues in his movies for a long time now and nothing's changed. Now I'm not saying that he's unable to make a good movie. The kind of talent that he exhibited with "Sixth Sense", "Unbreakable" and, for the most part, "Signs" doesn't just go away so here's hoping that I'm wrong and you're right!

I'm just 100% on the same page as Rad, Visqo and Typhoon - these are not the type of movies he should be making. He has so much creative control over his projects he can do anything with anyone. And a lot of good directors want to work with him. He's like a black Tom Cruise. Tom also has insane amounts of creative control yet look at how well Tom uses his: he works with fantastic directors like DePalma, Mann, Spielberg, Zwick, Abrams, pre-Elizabethtown Crowe, Anderson. Now look at Will's aince "Ali" - Sonnenfeld, Bay, Proyas, Tennant, Muccino, Berg, Lawrence. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them. They're not bad directors. I mean, we all know that Alex Proyas is a legend (and many would argue that "I, Robot" is Will's best summer blockbuster to date) and I personally think that, from a technical point of view, "Seven Pounds" is Will's best looking film to date. The cinematography, the music...it was just beatufil to look at which is why I respect Muccino's sensitivity a lot. We just think that he could be doing so much more. 4 years and no films? WTF? Get Zwick to direct "Last Pharaoh", do Mann's "Empire" and ask Spike Lee to direct you and Denzel in "Uptown" - then I'll be 100% back in your corner;)

And Lawrence was not a bad director. I happen to think that "Constantine" was a very competently made film.

Cheers

P.S. Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes. Been a while since I wrote in English ;)

Yeah, agree for the most part. You must learn from your mistakes!! SO true!

I happen to do a lot of writing and I know it's a tough, tough business. That's why I made the comment about not giving up. If I had given up from all the hate I got, I would be half the writer I am today. Many writers and directors would say the same thing. In fact, most successful people will say the same thing, regardless of their profession. Perseverance is not the only trait, you're right, completely. It takes great skill and passion as well.

And Will DOES need better directors. Spike would be great, Scorsese, Spielberg, even Cameron or Tarantino.

However, I don't give up hope on M. Night because he has proven his skill on multiple occasions. Its like when people say George Lucas is a bad director because of the Star Wars prequels. To me, that's silly. He proved his skill and vision. And created something unforgettable.

M. Night has done the same. His passion comes through in each movie, even when the skill is not there.

I'm sure the movie won't win best picture, but it won't be the end of Will's career, or Jaden's either.
I'm looking forward to it. Not everybody is, and that's cool, but I think it will be a good time at the movies! :laugh:

Edited by JusticeKnight