JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Terry McMillan on Willow and Jaden

gosia

Terry McMillan sure wasn’t pleased about the news that Willow Smith may be playing “Annie” in a remake produced by Will Smith and Jay-z. The outspoken and opinionated author took to her twitter earlier today to express her feelings on The Smith children who she believes are being pimped and exploited:

The Smith children already act like child stars. There’s an arrogance in their demeanor and behavior. I find it incredibly sad. It feels like the Smith children are being pimped and exploited. Or, they’re already hungry for fame. What about 4th grade?

A lot of A-list movie stars shielded their children from the Hollywood-world until they were old enough to decide. Look at those who didn’t. Look at Lindsay. Phoenix. To name but a few. They miss out on childhood. It’s more important than fame.

These kids don’t already know what they “love”. Total bull****. They’re not prodigies. They think Hollywood is real.

Why don’t they do a remake of The Little Rascals and call it a day? Or, come up with an original film with some ethnic pride. Come on.

Okay. I’ve said enough about the Smith children. I’m not debating about them. It’s just my opinion. People can justify anything, though.

In 4th grade my son came home complaining that the kids in his school said I was famous and rich. I told him that was not true. That some of my books were popular but not everybody liked them. That we could afford a vacation. “Oh” he said, and went back & repeated it. I wanted him to think of me as his mother. He didn’t read any of my novels until he was 15. He only read 26 pages. Was bored.

Have a wonderful Wednesday everybody. I raised my son. I’m not wasting another minute worrying about how Will & Jada are raising their kids.

P.S. I loved the Karate Kid.

http://necolebitchie.com/2011/01/27/author-terry-mcmillan-thinks-that-willow-jaden-smith-are-getting-pimped/

wow! everyone is entitled to their opinion but "exploited, pimped our and arrogant"? seriously???
I would LOVE to see Jada's response on her twitter...

She’s now reusing her platform on Twitter to apologize:

I apologize for using the word pimp and exploit in referring to the Smith children. It was insensitive of me and wrong. Twitter is not the best forum to express some things. I didn’t know folks would take my opinion so personally. It is amazing, though, how fast an unflattering comment gets retweeted versus one that’s flattering. I’m done with this issue. My opinion isn’t going to change anything.

There are a lot more important things going on in the world right now. My Mama used to say: “They’ll talk about you if you do. And talk about you if you don’t. Let ‘em talk.” Some folks look for a reason to criticize you. They’re getting off on it and are saying much worse things than I did. I’ve got work to do. I hope everybody who has something important to do today besides worry about the Smith children, does it.

And for those of you who were so offended by what I said or thought I was being disrespectful, unfollow me.

I don't think they get exploited. I'm more worried about Jay-Z's involvement in her career or cooperation with Will. Dude just cares about his dollars, ****ed up Roc-A-Fella, Def Jam etc. and just moved on. He is a clever business man, who used his relationship to Beyonce to become an international star. I hope his influence does not get to big that he causes problems within JL or Will, or has a bad influence on Willow.

Well obviously to say that they're being pimped and exploited is going too far but I don't agree that it's healthy for the Smith children at such a young age have to be in the spotlight, they should be given more time to work on their talents so that way when they're a lil' bit older they could be successful, in other words they should be spend more time having fun being kids rather than dealing with the pressures of the entertainment industry.... And I don't think that having Jay-Z work with Willow is a smart move either...

Sur, Jigga is the devil.. That cmed in handy, just in case that the kids do turn out ****ed upped ya'll can just blame Hove, like errbody does for everything. It's lonely on top. By the way, Jigga signed Nas & The Roots to Def Jam, the two best signings since 2000.

I don't blame him for everything, so don't come with that devil bull****. Lonely on top? Maybe on a commercial level...

Thats the only two good things he has done over there. He had problems over there with LL, Ghostface, Method Man, Redman and DMX. But instead promoted Young Jeezy and his own album. Another good thing was the signing of Rihanna.

So don't make him bigger as he is, Jay-Z is good at promoting Jay-Z and thats it.

Yeah, never heard of Kanye, Rihanna, Young Jeezy, J. Cole and so on. Fac it is Jigga is better at promoting people than Will is. Jigga has turned a few people into stars, Will has Tra Knox and Kel Spencer. It took J. Cole 5 minutes to do what Kel Spencer has been trying for 10 years now.

Edited by Turntable

Yeah, never heard of Kanye, Rihanna, Young Jeezy, J. Cole and so on. Fac it is Jigga is better at promoting people than Will is. Jigga has turned a few people into stars, Will has Tra Knox and Kel Spencer. It took J. Cole 5 minutes to do what Kel Spencer has been trying for 10 years now.

Dame Dash was the one who brought Kanye into the Roc a Fella camp. I mentioned Rihanna and Jeezy(= commercial garbage) before. J.Cole is talented, but has not even an album out yet. Will & Jeff turned also a few into stars ... Tatyana M. Ali, Jill Scott and so on. I dont say that they should not collaborate with him, but i would be careful with too many projects together. Fela, Willow and now the Annie remake... Lets see what the future brings, it is about time that Will steps into the spotlight again.

Edited by Jin

It's always a concern with young children when they become involved in the entertainment industry, if only because we've seen what it's done to other child stars. I too would caution Will and Jada to be careful... however... the way they treat their kids and the heavy involvement they maintain in their kids' lives indicates that they recognize the dangers and have no intention of letting their kids fall into the same traps of other child stars.

Let's be real, Will put his filming on hold to be there with Jaden for the entirety of Karate Kid, and Jada was there as well. We know that Will is no slacker when it comes to being there for his kids, often traveling from China back to the US to attend Trey's football games. I also get the sense that Jada is a no nonsense mom when it comes to dealing with the kids, while giving them just enough space to let them be individuals.

And to be honest, I see Will keeping the kids in line and their egos in check by embarrassing them in public as often as possible... Who can forget...

Will-Smith_Jaden-Smith.jpg

and

1279634244will_kiss_boy1.jpg

KS's like Skillz 'cause he's written quite a bit of songs for popular rappers out there, he probably got more checks coming in from those hits than a lot of rappers get for putting out albums, and let's be clear when Jay-Z started promoting the wack rappers like Rick Ross over the great rappers like LL Cool J he lost a lot of respect from hip hop heads