Willow Smith - '21st Century Girl'

Ale

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All-Time Smartest, Most Talented Kids

20110223-tows-talented-kids-1-300x205.jp

Over the years, Oprah has shared the stage with a 7-year-old surgeon, a 3-year-old drummer and countless young prodigies. Now, for The Oprah Show's talented kids finale, Oprah is introducing a few fresh faces, including her co-host, Willow Smith!

Willow's not just the spunky, 10-year-old daughter of a Hollywood power couple—Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith—she's also a chart-topping performer! Her debut single Whip My Hair has already gone platinum and has more than 42 million hits on YouTube.

Willow's first single induces hair whipping all around the world, but she says this is not just another catchy pop song...it's an anthem about being yourself and not caring what other people think about you. "[i'm saying,] 'I don't know what you're doing, but I'm me,'" Willow says. "Just do what you feel is right."

Unlike most young performers, Willow's rise to the top was lightning-fast. She first showcased her vocals by singing a song for her dad on Father's Day. Then, while recording songs on a computer program, Willow discovered her passion for music and told her mother. "[My mom] told my producer, 'She wants to sing, she wants to sing,' so we just found the first track and we did it," she says.

20110223-tows-talented-kids-2-300x205.jp

As an elementary school student with a flourishing singing, dancing and acting career, Willow leads a busy life. Her favorite part of the week? Ballet class! "My teacher [Miss Brianna]'s really awesome," Willow says.

A typical day for Willow includes dance class before school, where she's taught by a tutor. Then, Willow heads home to start recording new music. Even though her schedule is jam-packed, Willow says it's "50 percent work and 102 percent fun." At times, the attention gets to be too much, but Willow says she just follows her mother's advice. "I just pretend like I'm alone," she says. "I pull myself out from the world and just do what I've got to do."

Willow also works hard at being a trend-setting fashionista, and she says it doesn't matter whether she's on the best- or worst-dressed list. "I dress according to the event and how I feel about it," she says. "Somebody likes the outfits." Same goes for her hair. "If I'm feeling groovy, I'll put a little purple in it," she says.

This rising star has a lot to look forward to, including going on tour with pop sensation Justin Bieber in spring 2011. "He's energetic and goes around the stage," Willow says. "I get to learn a lot from him. I like watching him perform."

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Oprahs-All-Time-Most-Talented-Kids/1

-----

Dancing duo D'Angelo and Amanda talk with Oprah and co-host Willow Smith about winning the dance competition, Live to Dance, and what they plan to do with their winnings.

VIDEO

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/DAngelo-and-Amandas-Love-for-Dance-Video/topic/oprahshow

Edited by Ale

• Members

Thanks Ale!
Definitely don't like the song and this performance is nothing special at my opinion,her voice didn't sound good,but it's going to be hit anyway so who cares :laugh:
Btw,did anybody watch Oprah,what did she say (because in my country it not will be aired any time soon :laugh: )?

Btw,did anybody watch Oprah,what did she say (because in my country it not will be aired any time soon :laugh: )?

Hopefully someone will upload the video with the full interview to Youtube soon. Probaby by tomorrow ;)

Seems Willow also performed 'Whip My Hair'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5YWZNAdblQ

Edited by Ale

Willow Talks Bieber Tour, Lady Gaga & Fame on 'Oprah'

What does “Whip My Hair” mean?
First of all, whipping my hair is the new, “I am me.” I don’t know what you are doing but I’m me. It’s an anthem about being yourself and not caring what other people think about you. Just do what you feel is right for you.

Do you like singing, dancing or acting better?
I think I incorporate it in all that I’m doing because when you’re on the stage, you’re playing to the crowd; you’re acting toward the crowd. You’re giving them the face, so that they scream.

What’s an average day in your life like now?
I wake up, ballet class, school, come home [and] record.

Looking [from the outside] in, your life looks like a dream life, is it?
It’s a lot of work but it’s like 50 percent work and 102 percent fun.

How do you handle the fame now? Has it ever been a problem?
Sometimes, I take this from my mom but I just want to be alone.

You’re a fashionista now, Is it better to be on the best dressed list then the not so best dressed list?
It doesn’t make a difference.

What does your closet look like? Is it huge?
Giiiiirl. No, it’s like from here to there.

Are you constantly taking things out and putting more in?
If I don’t wear something, I’ll donate it and clean out my closet.

Where did the whip my hair come from?
My friends. Like if they like a guy…. If he likes pokemon and she doesn’t know what that is, she’s like “yeah, I like pokemon.”

Pretending to be something she’s not to please him and she’s not. You don’t do that?
No, I don’t do that! I’ll be like I don’t know who pokemon is. Will you explain the game to me?

I hear that you’re opening for Justin Biber when he goes to the UK.
Yes, I’m so excited because when he’s performing I get to learn a lot from him. He’s energetic and goes around the stage. I like watching him perform.

I heard you met Lady Gaga. I think you two would really hit it off, did you?
We did, I really like her. She was born that way baby.

http://necolebitchie.com/2011/03/01/video-willow-smith-performs-on-oprah-talks-bieber-tour-lady-gaga-fame/

VIDEO: Willow Waxes Poetic on Pokemon

The youngest Smith has some mature dating advice. When she's not whipping her hair or having "102 percent fun," Willow doles out her wisdom via lofty metaphors, as in one popular Japanese game.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/video/item/willow-smith-on-oprah

Edited by Ale

• 4 weeks later...

Don't think this interview has been posted before..

Willow Smith Dishes on Shooting '21st Century Girl'

Willow Smith is a "21st Century Girl" and she explains what it was like to film her new music video for the song.

Willow's video for "21st Century Girl," her follow-up to her 2010 hit "Whip My Hair," is out today, and she's explaining what the title means: "To be a 21st century girl means that you're practicing at what you want to do, and that you're being adventurous, and you're being confident, and you're being yourself."

She says of the video, "I want people to feel the emotions that I did when I was recording the songs," adding that she hopes people pick up her music's positive message.

And that positivity spreads to her recollection of shooting the video. Her favorite part? "Being around friends and family," she tells ET, explaining, "I'm 10 years old and I can't do it alone."

VIDEO!

http://www.etonline.com/music/108503_Willow_Smith_Dishes_on_Shooting_21st_Century_Girl/index.html