Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Annie remake

gosia

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Hey, I'm new to this forum but I wanted to express my profound disappointment in the trailer for this movie. The best way I can put it is to say: imagine if the 1960's camp Batman tv show remained the only way that character was ever portrayed on film, and the only version that the public would accept, to this day. That's what I feel like when it comes to Annie.

Maybe the trailer is misleading but I was very frustrated by it. For those of you who have never read Harold Gray's masterpiece of comic strip art, Little Orphan Annie, Daddy Warbucks (or "Stacks" in this case) is not a person who would use an orphan as a tool to boost his public image. Daddy Warbucks is a hero - in the original strip he used his fortune to fund an all-out war on organized crime and political corruption. He was tireless in his battle against crime and Annie was his faithful companion, fearless and resourceful. I'm especially disappointed because Jamie Foxx is a gifted actor who could really capture the complexity of the real Daddy Warbucks, if he'd been given the opportunity.

The original strip was dark, brooding, violent and fantastical. It explored moral, philosophical, spiritual, social and political issues. It was action packed and imaginative. The stage musical recast the story as a Depression Era "Silas Marner" and every subsequent film version has been based on that lame interpretation.

I can't quite understand by Will Smith, who has been associated with sci-fi cinema since the 1990's, and apparently has a respect for the comic art form, has chosen to completely ignore the source material and base this film, yet again, on an inaccurate musical from the 1970's. 'Cause everyone knows two songs from it? To begin with, I don't think many modern inner city kids use the term "hard knock life" lol, it's not even a real "update". Smith could have a really cool franchise on his hands, something that could compete with Disney's Marvel movies, instead of a one-off, vague remake of an old musical.

If you've never read the original Annie, here's a good primer:

http://www.tcj.com/the-orphans-epic/

I'm really disappointed that Annie has been overlooked again. And that they have seemingly gone out of their way to destroy the character of Daddy Warbucks. Why . . . ?

The real Daddy Warbucks:

'>

How cool would it have been to see Jamie Foxx play this character?!?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Admin

Thank God Willow said let me be a 12 year old..but that's something WIll should have known already.. let kids be kids.. its the only time they get to enjoy not worrying about grown up stuff and just being happy..let them do it

It's amazing Will didn't realise this til now...he wanted some Hollywood family where a 12 year old is having 16 hour film days check the interview below....

WS: I took pretty much a year and a half off. In 2010, basically everything that I had ever dreamed of had come true and the hole was still there, you know? In 2010, it was "Whip My Hair" [Willow Smith's hit single] and The Karate Kid, and Jada and I had just hosted the Nobel concert, and Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize and the only interview he did was with Jada and me. It was the best and the worst year of my life. It was everything that I had dreamed, and my family was battered by the conquest.

SR: They suffered emotionally? You weren't around?

WS: Well, no. We were doing it together, but—I grew up in a military household. My father was in the Air Force. It was hospital corners on our beds growing up.

SR: You were saying the family was going through a hard time?

WS: I love creating music and television and film. I love the hustle, I love the grind, I love working sixteen- and eighteen-hour days and waking up at four the next morning and going to the gym. I love that.

SR: You've called it a "psychotic" work ethic.

WS: But it's so enjoyable for me. And I had to make the transition into accepting that everybody doesn't want to do that. My kids taught me to redefine love. Before 2010, I had a vision. I saw a family in my mind that I wanted to have. And I was pushing and driving hard for my picture, and then I realized everyone has their own journey. I have to support what they want to do. I have to support the vision that they have for themselves, not my vision. That was excruciating for me. That was excruciating because I'm military-minded. And to have to back up off of the masculine in that way, to have to embrace a more gentle, understanding, loving, and caring side—that was a tough transition for me.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/interviews/a9938/will-smith-interview-0315/