JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

JayZ says "takeover" beat out "Ether"

VIsqo

I still can't believe Jay-Z is talking about this ten years later, but naturally neither him or Nas would admit they lost the battle so its not Jay being cocky, its him just sticking up for himself. Its human nature.

Both rappers are extremely good. Consistency? Nas has had some crap albums as much as you guys knock on Jays catalog, The Black album was a hot album. BP 2 was a nice follow-up, "some people hate" , "the bounce" , "**** all nite" all hot tracks, it was nice. BP 3 for the most part is solid but it does have some crap tracks too like "reminder" and "venus vs mars"..

well jay-z seems to have a better a&r and an ear for beats than nas does, i gotta give him credit for that but that don't change the fact of this whole post that he's not the greatest battle rapper and nas is a more respected rapper than jay-z is, jay-z is more respected as a businessman, it's sorta like how 50 cent makes the forbes list of the richest rappers but the rappers he battled like fat joe and game are more respected than he is, money's not everything...

The Roots, yes.. the rest should not be on that list. Thats the nonselloutyetstillcpopishlist right there, It Was Written and Illmatic are masterpieces.. Thats it tho. The rest of his albums were good, just good. Jigga made three classics, not as good as Illmatic, but as good as It Was Written.

Can i ask why? Have you listened to the albums? Qualitywise all four albums were one of the best so far this year. I just count 2 classics, the Black Album was close though.

I just think that Statik Selektah (both solo and with Term), Skyzoo, Rah Digga, Refelction Eternal and others released much better albums. I agre on How I Got Over tho, maybe my favorite Roots album. Nas & Marley was average, they did not take enough time I think, it ended up sounding like a blender to me. Cee-Lo did not release a Hip Hop album as far as I know, I dont hear him rapping anyway. And Big Boi was good, but not as good as others, maybe thats because I do not realy appreciate electronic sounds that much. One of the best release this year, probably my second or third favorite was Fashawn's Ode To Ilmatic mixtape. That was incredibly dope and once again proved how timeless Illmatic is.

Edited by Turntable

I'm buying that Big Boi album from MixUnit.com since I get a free Big Boi mixtape with it:
http://www.mixunit.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=14791

I bought his previous album and it was really good, maybe one of the best of that year. I havent checked this one out yet, but I heard its not ranked as high as the previous.