JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

JayZ says "takeover" beat out "Ether"

VIsqo

I never liked superugly of the fact that it was a "freestyle" to one of Nas best songs and a song in which Nas flow and delivery were almost perfect. I think that Jay Z didnt do right to that beat when you hear Nas singing Got urself a gun.

"Your ass went from Jaz to hangin' with Kane, to Irv to Big/ And, Eminem murdered you on your own s**t."

This line took it for me....

Even tho I loved the line from Jay

"You said you been in this ten
I've been in it five - smarten up Nas
Four albums in ten years nigga? I could divide
That's one every let's say two, two of them ****s was due
One was - NAHHH, the other was "Illmatic"
That's a one hot album every ten year average"

Jay-Z is the one who basically drops one hot album every 10 years it seems, his best albums came out in the '90s and even Nas' so called worst album "Nastradamus" is an underrated dope album, Jay-Z' only more popular 'cause he hires popular producers but I find a lot of his lyrics repetitive and boring compared to Nas and the other legends of the game, even his so called popular lyrics are from Biggie, "How many Biggie lyrics gonna come out yo fat lip?"

I agree with most of the comments on this. Especially with Brakes cause that one line "...and Eminem murdered you on your own ****." That single line was able to win it for Nas. Don't get me wrong, as much as I love Jay, he did get at Nas well with breaking down the album sales and what not, that was clever. Both are fantastic diss songs but Super Ugly was wack. It was rather disgusting which as a matter of fact, Jay-Z's mom made him apologize for. He was embarrassed by Nas with Ether and then his own mom lol

There's a great article on KevinNottingham.com (if you search for it) about the genesis of the beef but when it comes down to it, the center stage was "Takeover" vs "Ether", Jay picked the wrong MC to go at, he basically woke up a sleeping giant.

Not to get off topic, there is no way Nas is a better performer than Jay-Z. Last year (July 09), I saw Jay-Z live and then a week later Nas in concert. Jay-Z is a way better performer. Trust me on that one. Rap isn't really good live but there's a few exceptional performers (JJ+FP, LL, Jay-Z...etc). Nas did his thing live but Jay-Z was much better, Jay really put on a show.

@ Vipa, mad props for putting up "Blueprint 2" the title track, thats a great track which is ofter overlooked on the much slept on Blueprint 2 album.

Believe it or not, as much as I'm not a fan of Jay-Z' post 2000 music on the most part I like the "Blueprint 2" album, that's actually one of his better albums in the last decade to me, "The Watcher 2" is one of the best collabs ever

I got Blueprint 2.0 a year or 2 ago thinking it would be like Blueprint. I was really disappointed because it had almost no elements of the original? Why would he make a sequel album when the true Hip-Hop sound of the original was mostly replaced with a mainstream sound, mainstream guests, etc. Same with Blueprint 3. I guess it's just a way to get more sales.

BP3 is whack, it has some nice singles on it...but thats it. Even though Jay lost the battle, Blueprint 1 and Reasonable Doubt are classics. His last great album was the Black Album. Honestly I think that Lost & Found was better than his last 3 albums (KC, AG, BP3).

Nas is still the King of this rap game. No Jigga album comes close to Illmatic or It was written. Even this year the Nas & Damian Marley collabo album was one of the best, although Eminem and Jay had the commercial success.

Nas & Damian Marley "Distant Relatives"
Big Boi "Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty"
Cee-Lo "Lady Killer"
The Roots "How i got over"

The Roots, yes.. the rest should not be on that list. Thats the nonselloutyetstillcpopishlist right there, It Was Written and Illmatic are masterpieces.. Thats it tho. The rest of his albums were good, just good. Jigga made three classics, not as good as Illmatic, but as good as It Was Written.

Edited by Turntable

"The Black Album" is probably the best Jay-Z album in the last 10 years, I like it better than any "Blueprint" or the other albums, it's on the level of "Reasonable Doubt" and "Hard Knock Life" which is when he was on top of his game.... Nas is on the level of all the greats like LL, Fresh Prince, KRS, Rakim, etc. when it comes to consistancy, every album is dope....Like I said earlier I play Game's "The Red Room" mixtape more than any album that came out this year, industry politics seem to be holding his album back it seems, to me he's probably the best mc that came out in the last 5 years.... I still haven't gotten to that Big Boi album yet but I liked what I heard from the internet...

I think that the blueprint I is better than the black album man, and reasonable doubt is his best. But to compare Jigga with Nas is out of the question. If Nas could find some good beats, he would be making it rain all day. I dont like every album Nas has released. And even though the last one with Damien Marley was dope, I can not play it as much as I play the BP3.

In recent years Nas has had similar problems that LL Cool J has had with production, they both kept it up lyrically but they both need to work with their original producers like Marley Marl again....

Of all the talk about who got the hardest diss track, I gotta bring up the hardest diss track ever made, LL's "Jack The Ripper" that ripped Kool Moe Dee: