JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

JayZ says "takeover" beat out "Ether"

VIsqo

Jay-Z Says "Takeover" Beat Out "Ether"

Tuesday, 16 November 2010 | Written by Jason

Jay-Z recently ranked his 2001 "Takeover" diss track (towards fellow rapper Nas and Mobb Deep) over the track Nas sent back (Ether). Despite that the two rappers have since put their problems behind them, Jigga thinks his song beat out Nas.

It's been nine years and the great debate over Jay-Z vs. Nas still isn't over. Earlier today (November 15), Hov appeared on Peter Rosenberg and Cipha Sounds's podcast, "Juan Epstein," and during the interview, the Brooklyn legend said, despite popular opinion, that his 2001 diss record towards God's Son, "The Takeover" is better than Nasir's response track, "Ether." "I think in the history when we look back, and I don't mean no disrespect to Nas, I think when we look back it's not even close," he shared, adding, "I just think it was a better record." (XXL Mag)

http://www.rapbasement.com/jay-z/111610-jay-z-thinks-his-diss-towards-nas-beat-out-nas-diss-towards-him-listen-to-both-here.html

Well I dont think so. Inside the link they have both songs. Its been a while since I heard them, but after giving them a listen today I reconfirm that Nas killed Jay Z and threw him to the dogs with that song. What do yall think?

Maybe in his dreams, but not in reality. Nas lyrically murdered Jay, who cares if Kanye's beat was better. In a diss track (not song), when 2 MC's compete...the lyrics, flow, delivery, etc. matter and in every aspect of this, takeover could not match ether. LOL @ Jay-Z still catching feelings nearly 10 years afterwards.

Jay-Z is a weak battle rapper, sure he might sell more albums but Nas is leaps and bounds above him

lol, yeah, it is hard for a person, no matter who he is, to be self proclaimed and called by a lot of people the "best rapper alive" and to know that in the most important battle of your rap career you lost and got embarrassed in the eyes of everybody. He knows he cant beat most of them good rappers, so he should just let it forgotten. Besides, most of these kids dont even know this event happen, and some of them dont even know Nas for that matter. I think all the popularity Jay Z has lately comes from the fact that he is the only "old" MC who is still big on the mainstream music. Jay Z is good, and probably some day he will be a legend too, but in his mind, he will always be the guy who got "ETHERED".

Yeah Visqo it's you were mentioning in the MC Hammer/Jay-Z post about how Jigga don't want to man up and battle other rappers for the throne and his so-called most famous battle he got "ethered", don't get me wrong Jigga could make good records when he's up to it but he don't back himself up enough to be considered the greatest, if he's such a great battle rapper he should make strong diss records to prove it....

Edited by bigted

And he cant say he doesnt have whom to diss. Everybody disses him. Eminem is the one who nobody tries to diss because people know he wont just ignore them, he may explode and destroy a few careers. lol.

DMX just said F Jay-Z at a concert the other day, that's another rapper that's also more consistant than Jay-Z, once DMX gets his legal issues together he'll be back on top again

Neither of the tracks are that crazy. After hearing "The Ripper Strikes Back" and "Hit 'Em Up" no battle/diss tracks have really impressed me. Nas' "Ether" is definitely more solid any diss track Jay-Z has done that I've heard (and I have giving some a listen). Nas as an artist, an emcee, and even a performer beats Jay-Z in every way. I'm not even Nas's biggest fan but I give each of them a listen. The difference is, all of Nas' albums that I've bought, I've bought new. All of the Jay-Z albums I have I bought used and really cheap...lol.