JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kanye West new album review

VIsqo

I previewed the album and I think half of the beats are really good. The other half aren't bad but nothing special to me. That's all I really have to say about it tho.' Lyrically and vocally Kanye reaches "average" at best.

I'm not gonna go overboard and say that this new stuff makes him one of the greats but he's taking a step in the right direction, unlike other rappers out right now

I'm not a hater, I stay open minded to give a listen to music and if I don't like something that don't mean that I'm hating, Common said it best: "If I don't like something I don't like it that don't mean that I'm hating", I wasn't hating on Kanye over the last few years I just didn't like his music, I like what I'm hearing now though....

Edited by bigted

@ AJ: That is what I am trying to tell you: You cant preview this. Almost no beat stays the same for more than 30 seconds and almost every song is more than 6 minutes. And Kanyes rapping is just what it needs to be for this album because he is not trying to make a Rakim album, it's not about spitting at all, you hav to think outside the Hip Hop box. Back to back on a good stereo, I'm telling you, it's very important to understand this album.

I'm not a Stan or anything, Ya'lll know that, the only Kanye album I consider beeing as good as people say it is is his second one - College Dropout was just "good" to me and Graduation was "average" to me". I also never considered him te be a very good MC, just good enough to carry a song with right concept. But this album, and I am not crazy, is a piece of art. Kanye put all of his knowledge of music in there and he naild it.

Edited by Turntable

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The truth is that I couldn't listen to any of the songs in full. They didn't keep my interest and usually I couldn't stand his voice, attempt at flowing, and the lyrics. I did listen to it with an open mind. I just don't think his talent is rapping or writing. Just cuz I don't like it means I didn't give it an honest listen or that I didn't put his personality/actions to the side. A hater is someone who is jealous and goes out of their way to diss someone or something. When I say I don't like Kanye vocally or lyrically, that's me voicing my opinion.

I heard it a couple of times already and it is pretty good, Its fresh and inventive. I think Kanye did a great job putting together this album, it was worth the wait.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.rapbasement.com/sales-charts/113010-hip-hop-rap-and-rb-billboard-soundscan-sales-charts-for-the-week-ending-november-28th.html

Well the final numbers are in and Kanye West has beat out Nicki Minaj for the highest first week sales, by nearly 200,000 units. Kanye's new "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" sold 518,775 copies while Nicki Minaj's "Pink Friday" scanned around 371 thousand. Rihanna's "Loud" dropped three spots to 6th while Ne-Yo's "Libra Scale" album debuted in 8th with 117,800 CDs sold.

Eminem's "Recovery" album gained 43% in sales from last week, but dropped 5 spots, while Lloyd Banks' "Hungry For More 2" project debuts at 25th with over 45,000 copies in its first week. Lil Wayne also gained 38% in sales, dropping two spots, Nelly drops 27 spots (dropping 54%) and KiD CuDi moves from 25th to 38th.

Sales were very good last week, maybe influenced by the black friday holliday

i was reading on the rolling stone mag's website and i noticed they gave kanye's album 5 stars, like i said the music on the album's a step in the right direction but i don't think it's worth all that hype, when rappers like kanye and eminem put out something good after all the crap they put out in between people overreact like it's the greatest thing ever and that's ridiculous....on another note congrats for him outselling nicki minaj and lloyd banks though 'cause i rather see a good mainstream album sell something for a change, and of course it's sad that eminem's album been out since the summer and that it's still selling on the top half of the charts while better quality albums that came out in the summer like nas/damien marley and the roots fell off fast, those albums deserve to win grammys but most like eminem will win again....

The album may seem kind of weird at first but when u listen to it a couple of times, it becomes clear that the changes of pace and the beat mixing on the album are a nice touch, there are some songs I can listen to all day.

Kanye just got "5 mics" on the source!

http://www.rapbasement.com/kanye-west/120310-the-source-magazine-rates-kanye-wests-new-album-with-5-mics-details-here-click-now.html