JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

For Those Who Doubt Hammer's MC Abilities

bigted

I was browsing music on youtube tonight and I just found this song called "Big Man" from his rare "Family Affair" album, it was a remake of the "Too Late" song that you posted AJ

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, half of that Family Affair album is the Too Tight album but with the lyrics and subject matter changed up. Many of the beats from Too Tight are on Family Affair. I spent ALOT of money to get Family Affair on ebay. When I got it in the mail, it was a CD-R with a weak attempt to hide it. I also got promos of Blaque's 2nd and 3rd unreleased albums. I filed a claim thru' ebay and they never helped me out. The seller disappeared but recently returned under a different account and he's playing the same games. At least I have an A+ copy of the album...lol. I just wish I wouldn't have spent a fortune on them.

This would be the perfect timing for Hammer to release a "Lost Tape" mixtape with his rare heat tracks 'cause a lot of these songs are better than his popular stuff

I found the "Funky Headhunter" track just now on Youtube, this is one of the hardest diss tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-jJ00uhGk0

I dont realy do not see the point of this. The rhymes you posted are supposed to convince me of what? That Hammer is a lyricist? Those rhyes are not bad, not at all, but they are simple and thats that. Just look at too legit to quit. Rhyming new to true and so on is simple, not wack, but simple. Like you said, a good Hammer song is good because of the energy. Hammer is not a lyricist, Big Pun is a lyricist, Talib Kweli is a lyricist, Hammer isn't. Thats okay, he can still make good records, I mean Talib Kweli can also make bad records.

well the origins of this thread was from the frustrations i felt with how a lot of dumb kids and critics have responded to hammer over the years about how he's this soft and weak talented rapper, this really don't have much to do with you
or anyone on this board since we're more open minded than a
lot of peeps from other boards are, that's why i like this
board the best, i just felt like making this thread to give some props to the man who's always stood up for himself, and btw that's another misconception people make about big pun and talib kweli, they put out some classic records, they're more than just lyricists, I like their songs too, all in all hammer's a hip hop great just like they are....

Edited by bigted

Yeah, I check this board 2 find out about stuff I'm not into. MC Hammer has always been one of my favorites so I appreciate this post. For someone who isn't into him, this is an opportunity for those who aren't into him but who have an open mind 2 check his music. Sometimes posts like this lead to people finding out about stuff they don't like. Sometimes they aren't into what's being shared. Sometimes it turns into a debate. The difference is, is the topic worth a debate.

I think there are many things that make Hammer dope. He's honesty. The fact that the man he is in his music is the man he is in person. The fact that his doesn't fill his music with tasteless topics and bad language. The fact that he can do a serious song and a party song. The fact that he loves Hip-Hop which is why he's still active as an entertainer and why he's still rhyming. You can't say that about a lot of people in Hip-Hop. Having an artist who has heart and qualities like that is certainly more interesting than someone who is tighter on the mic. But that's just me.

While we are on the topic, Talib is one of my favorite emcees. He is one of the greatest to ever do it. But I would say overall, I enjoy Hammer's music more and probably listen to it more often overall. Big Pun on the other hand, I was never into him. I didn't find anything to special about his lyrics (not that I'm saying he was bad). Overall, I think some of his lyrics were uninteresting. And clearly some of his lyrics were just that...lyrics (not his life). I didn't like his voice and found it disgusting to hear him inhale between lines.

The thing that I think is funny about a lot of these so called "internet gangstas" is that they got the nerve to say "you should drink bleach if you listen to this soft rapper" like i'm retarded but their favorite rapper couldn't create a whole sentence without using profanity and more than likely the "internet gangsta" is doing the same thing in all their posts, there's countless interviews and posts that hammer's made online and on his album inserts to show that he got more intelligence than a lot of these rappers and they're fans combined.... You could say that Mobb Deep are more lyricists than Run-Dmc but what seperates Run-Dmc from Mobb Deep is that their music is more original and enjoyable, that's why I like Hammer more than Talib too, this is music now we're referring to, not just a poet slam, that's why LL's more of a famous rapper than Canibus after they battled 'cause even though Canibus is a good poet LL makes more enjoyable CDs, you have to be more than one dimensional, that's what seperates the original artists from the others....

Edited by bigted

I'd be curious to see a lyric or a quote from most of today's radio rappers that's as real as this:

Message In The Music(Album Insert Of Active Duty)
This recording is dedicated to our country and to the spirit and strength of our people. The diversity of music on this record represents the diversity of our nation. Many people from different ethic backgrounds together making beautiful and powerful songs. I support our president and our nation. We have been attacked and violated. Evil does not recognize peace. Evil only recognizes stength and power greater than it. I pray for our country. Stand up and fight. We cannot allow fear to grip our nation. Fear is not of God. The enemy uses fear to tear us down. Those who want peace must understand that peace is worth fighting for. When you march against our country defending itself, you are marching against freedom and peace. I reject your position but support your right to voice it. The right you excercising only happens in a democratic society. I am a proud US Navy anti-submarine warfare veteran. I talk the talk and walk the walk. To my brothers and comrades in the Armed Forces I love you and support you. USA. Stay alret and focused. We honor you and your families. To the families of the innocent victims, I offer prayers to my Lord and savior, Jesus Christ to comfort you and heal your hearts. We will triumph.
-MC Hammer

That is exactly what I was talking about when it comes to Hammer having heart. Is that from the insert of Active Duty? I know I've read this before. Either way, none of the current day popular rappers ever promote intelligence or their view on the world beyond their block. They are small-minded, faith-lacking, ignorant, drug and alcohol addicted, immature, materialistic, sex addicts. If they aren't, then maybe their lyrics and actions should reflect something otherwise. I can't support people like that. That doesn't represent me and I'm even against that kinda lifestyle. And as a listener, I'm not gonna let an artist like that represent me.

But there is a lot of very good hip hop out there coming from young cats, its time to support them too.

@ BigTed & AJ: I understand wht you are saying and I respect that. It is a mather of taste I gues, up to a certian point. I grew up listening to Mobb Deep and I rather listen to Hell On Earth than Tougher Than Leather. But both are classics. I mean, at the end of the day we all love Hip Hop, we all live Hip Hop. Who cares if you dont like Jigga and I dont like Hammer (not saying it always is like that). We all agree on the fact that D4L and Wakka Flokka Flame are wack, so it's all good. :bump2: I just think sometimes we should be a little more open minded to each other, I mean just because somebody likes to listen to gangsta rap or nonsense rap, as I like to call it, sometimes does not mean he does not know or supoort real Hip Hop. Same goes for the artists who make nonsense rap. If they have skills, if they know theyr history and if they make it clear that what they do is nonsense rap, they can be just as real as Common to me, if you know what I mean. I'm just saying, if somebody got skills like Pusha-T, there are times that I can enjoy raps strictly about coke and diamons just as much as a song about the beauty of marriage. Cam'ron is a good example too. One of the biggest **** talkers, but a very special Mc, so I dig it (not mentioning that suddeny he comes around the corner with one of the realest songs in the last 10 years, I hate my Job. Same with swearing, I respect that you dont like it, but thats real nothng more than a opinion based on religion (most likely) or something like that. Just because people think difrently about that does not mean they are wrong and swearing does not make an Mc less real.

Edited by Turntable

I like some rappers that people label gangsta rappers like 2Pac, Ice Cube, DMX, and Snoop but they display many sides to themselves that I don't really consider them gangsta rap, they represent the real hip hop, I don't really like categorizing music so much, to quote Common I just like what I like and if I don't like something that don't mean that I'm hating... The problem it comes down to with a lot of rappers today is that they don't try pushing the creative bar and show other sides to themselves, it seems like every song on a Lil' Wayne mixtape is a repeat of the same boring song... Let's be clear, I just can't respect somebody's opinion if they're gonna cuss me and others out in every sentence, that's not being hard, that's being uneducated... They're a bunch of "laptop gangstas" like LL Cool J likes to call them, maybe they should spend more time learning how to read a book rather than spending all day cussing people out over the internet....

I found the Do It Roger mix of "Don't Stop", Teddy Riley is the only one besides Roger Troutman who does a dope job at auto-tune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_MVVGWnG7I

Oh snap! I didn't know this existed. I may have 2 track this down.

I was recently given a lesson on auto-tune. Auto-Tune is different from the vocoder. I don't know the difference, but there is one...ha ha. The only other person I liked using it was DeVante from Jodeci.

The vocoder, as far as I know, is a tool to realy change your voice into this roboter/alien voice. Autotune is a tool used to make it seem like you can sing. For example: If you sing bad, they put the right amount of autotune on your voice and you will sound like a boy band singer. They are the ones that use autotune the most. If you turn up the autotune too hard, you will sound like T-Pain, which is close to the vococoder, but not the same if you listen a little more closely.

Edited by Turntable