JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL Cool J, Beastie Boys Nominated For Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame

bigted

Rap pioneers LL Cool J and the Beastie Boys have both been nominated, yet again, to be inducted for the new class of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Both acts were on the ballot in the past, but failed to make it in. In order to become eligible, the artist’s debut album or single had to be released at least 25 years ago. Then a list of 500 musicians and industry professionals make the final decision, set to be announced in December.

Also on this year’s ballot is Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper, Tom Waits, Neil Diamond, Donovan, Laura Nyro, Dr. John, the J. Geils Band, Donna Summer, Chic, Darlene Love, Joe Tex and Chuck Willis.

The 26th annual induction ceremony will take place on March 14 at New York City’s Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

So far the only hip-hop acts to be inducted into the Hall was Run D.M.C. in 2009 and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five in 2007. —Elan Mancini

They both deserve to get in, Beastie Boys opened the doors for white rappers like Eminem and Vanilla Ice to have success, Ad Rock is probably one of the most underrated emcees ever, and we know LL's career is the longest and strongest ever as a hip hop GOAT...

Yep, JJFP for 2011 Hall of Fame!

Well if LL Cool J and Beastie Boys don't make it then JJFP won't, I don't think there's gonna be that many hip hop artists in the Rock & Roll hall of fame, Public Enemy will probably get in when their 25 year anniversary comes since their music is more rock driven

I dont think they will introduce JJFP there.. I mean if even the VHI hip hop honors havent induced them yet, or the grammys didnt do anything for the 20th anniversary, what possibilities have they for the rock and roll hall of fame?

I'm really surprised that VH1 didn't honor Will 'cause back in the day he'd the only hip hop artist they'd show music videos of

Russell Simmons Co-Signs LL Cool J, Beastie Boys Hall of Fame Nods

by Slava Kuperstein

posted October 04, 2010 01:10:00 AM CDT | 7 comments

Russell Simmons Co-Signs LL Cool J, Beastie Boys Hall of Fame Nods

The former head of Def Jam gives his opinion on two of his earliest acts.

As co-founder of Def Jam, it's natural that Russell Simmons has plenty to say about the fact that two of the storied label's earliest artists have been nominated to the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.

In a blog post on GlobalGrind.com, Simmons expressed his joy at Hall of Fame nods for LL Cool J and the Beastie Boys, and posted some of his favorite images of the acts.

"Nothing makes me happier than seeing the greatest of all time, LL Cool J, getting nominated to become a member of the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame," wrote the Hip Hop mogul, who noted that perhaps only Jay-Z exceeded the Kangol-sporting rapper's resume of hits.

"But more importantly than being a hit maker, [LL] has always said yes when asked to give back to his community," added Simmons. "I have asked him to do many, many things and he has NEVER said no. He is a true friend and someone who truly deserves to immortalized in the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame."

"And while on this subject, I also want to give praise to the Beastie Boys who have also been nominated. When I first met the Beasties, they were a bunch of white kids from New York City who were doing this new thing in music, fusing rock and rap and making it accessible to every white kid in America."

Simmons further explained, "...they took this incredible sound and made EVERY kid in America want to rock one of the greatest albums ever, license To Ill. They are amazing people and I feel honored to have the chance to have worked with them during the early years of Def Jam. I look forward to seeing them on the stage being inducted into the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame."

• 2 months later...

This is complete BS, to say LL and Beastie Boys ain't first ballot hall of famers is like saying Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen ain't:

Rap veteran LL Cool J and the Beastie Boys have been snubbed from being officially inducted into the annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ceremony in New York City next year.

Instead of the former Def Jam artists, today's announced inductees include music legends like Neil Diamond.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is ready to admit a new class: Alice Cooper, Tom Waits, Neil Diamond, Darlene Love and Dr. John have all been inducted for 2011, the foundation announced Wednesday. With the exception of Waits, this was a first time nomination for all of the inductees. Artists aren't eligible for induction until 25 years have passed from the release of their first single or LP. The 26th annual ceremony to celebrate the inductees will go down on March 14, 2011 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City, and will be broadcast on Fuse. (CNN)

Following last September's announcement of Cool J as an inductee, Def Jam co-founder Russell Simmons vouched his support for the rap mogul.

"Nothing makes me happier than seeing the greatest of all time, LL Cool J, getting nominated to become a member of the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame. I remember when Todd was just a young, runaway kid who kept sending his demo tape to Rick Rubin's dorm room. When we first listened to his tape, we knew we had to make Todd part of the Def Jam family. Over the years, Todd made hit after hit, and maybe only to Jay-Z, he has the most hits in hip-hop history...at least in my book. But more importantly than being a hit maker, Todd has always said yes when asked to give back to his community. I have asked him to do many, many things and he has NEVER said no. He is a true friend and someone who truly deserves to [be] immortalized in the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame. (Global Grind)

After LL lost out on an induction last December, Slaughterhouse's Joell Ortiz was vocal on his issues with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame panel.

"how they not let LL cool J in the rock n roll hall of fame yet?," he asked Wednesday (December 16) night. "LL cool J is one of the first rappers that ever reached out to give me encouragement early on. He didnt even know me just a good dude. @menima27 not many at all. Alot of arrogant a**holes in this biz. I got stories yall." (Joell Ortiz's Twitter)

Former XXL Magazine Editor In Chief Elliott Wilson also let his voice be heard on LL's missed spot.

"F*ck the stats. I can't believe the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame chose to not induct him," Wilson wrote on his RapRadar website. "Last year, you put [Run-DMC] in and now you front on LL? The man who designed the blueprint of what a solo hip-hop star could be. This is beyond my comprehension. Disrespectful. So so so disrespectful. This is his first year of eligibility so I'm sure this will be rectified soon but still the moment's ruined. If I was Todd, I'd tell 'em to kiss my black a**. You only get a first time to do the right thing." (Rap Radar)

I thought of all people he had the most opportunities to get in this year.. But, yeah well, he can make it next. U know how things roll in music, if it wasnt like this then JJFP would at least be inducted to the Hip Hop VH1 BS..

When I read the 1st article this morning, I was happy 2 see talented Hip-Hop acts getting recognized. LL is the best. Beastie Boys are are one of a kind. They are both trailblazers and without the both of him, Hip-Hop may have never survived (real talk). I think it's ridiculous that they got overlooked. And who the heck is Tom Waits and Dr. John?!?! I've never even HEARD of them!!

vh1 did a great job with hip hop honors when it started but the past couple years been garbage, at this rate they'll honor lil' wayne before jjfp