JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jay-Z Disses Hammer, Hammer Responds!

bigted

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but what I'm saying is, those other guys were popular and successful back in the day and caught crap for being popular. They were being themselves, got popular and then got called crossovers and sellouts. Now it's okay for rappers to be popular and more than often (way more), the infact sold out to do what is popular to be popular. Old school legends paid the price so that less talented, less mature, less moral watered-town "artists" could flourish today. Building off of what Ted said about Hammer still having his stuff together, I was giggling at the fact that in most (or all) cases of new school rappers being disrespectful to the ones who paved the way would probably have their butts handed to them by any of those 4 emcees if they met them in a dark ally....lol.

I've had this attitude for years..."Who cares about what's popular in rap?" I love when a dope emcee like Common Sense is on the charts but commercial rap and it's artists are garbage. I don't care about what's trendy, what they talk about (if anything), what their style is, etc. I love Hip-Hop and they aren't Hip-Hop so I could care less. However, when the planets align and a dope Hip-Hop artist gets mainstream success, I will cheer them on.

yeah back in the days when a rapper had mass appeal they'd be called sellouts but now these days you see people giving credit to the rappers with the best sales, most money, biggest crib, coolest commercials, etc... I'm with AJ here, I could care less if an artist sells 10 thousand or 10 million I care more about the quality of the music and whether the artist stands for something original and if that artist gets the most success then I'll be cheering him/her on but if not then I'll still support that artist anyway and keep it moving....

Jay-Z is Hip Hop, I dont see how that is even in discussion. So is Kanye West. Look at his record label, look at who he signed, artists that wont make him a lot of money but that are as real as it gets: Common, Pusha T, Mos Def, Consequence and so on..

Edited by Turntable

Turntable, I don't think AJ said that Kanye and Jay-Z aren't hip hop, he basically made a point that just 'cause rappers like Kanye and Jay-Z are rich and sell a lot of albums doesn't mean that they're the realest, that's what he's referring too, he's referring to the point I made about how some fans and critics these days are dillusional like they're the only real ones out there... Rappers like LL, FP, and Hammer have kept it real too even though they ain't dominating on the charts right now or are the richest, peeps got it twisted in claiming what "real" hip hop but not knowing the history and that's why hip hop is at a dying state right now when they don't give credit where credit's due...

Edited by bigted

I agree with what Turntable said there to an extent, there are rappers who have good talent and are lyricists but they choose to make weak songs which ain't being real, the difference between being real and good is that thin line, the reason why people don't give Hammer credit is 'cause he ain't the greatest lyricist but he chooses to make positive songs, people need to realise that there's more to real hip hop than being a lyricist, it's about standing for something with the music, 2Pac ain't the most lyrical rapper either but he stood for something unlike a lot of rappers these days....I digged up this allhiphop.com interview from earlier this year and I like the way Hammer broke down the state of hip hop industry today about how rappers need to step up their creativity levels and he also broke down about how he chose to be positive even though he grew up with a rough background:

AllHipHop.com: You were primarily a positive Hip Hop artist. What are thoughts on Hip Hop now? You gave up a little bit of everything, but for the most part positive with songs like "Pray."

MC Hammer: I did songs like "Pray" because that's who I am. Cats Whoodni, LL [Cool J], they'll tell you that they knew me as the holy ghost boy before I was MC Hammer. In the midst of my life in Oakland, in the middle of all that hell, I always wanted a piece of heaven so I believe in God, Jesus and the power of prayer. I don't believe that no man, no style of music, no movie can ever get me to bow down and say I don't. If I want to make a record and say "We have to pray," I say from my perspective. "What are you going to do about it? I'm going to do a record called 'Pray' and I'm going to put on a robe and have people from the choir. If you have a problem with it, see me after the song and I'll see you outside. I'll get down with you then pray for you."

That's how it went. I just didn't say this is what I do. This s what I've actually done. So those records came as I reflection of the spirit man of my heart. I think that there has been other artist who have done some similar things. Tupac would make a song that might be abrasive while making a point, and turn around and say "Dear Mama" or "I shed so many tears." So To have these contrasting emotions from a public stand point, they're real because nobody is in one mood all day long. There are some people who are atheist and don't believe in God and that's alright as long as that's your belief. If you wanted to express that in a record, that's your right. Nobody really has the right to say that you can't express it.

It's a great opportunity right now, for a rapper, an artist, a movement to come along that will address the pain of the nation. Cats that are going to address with those clever rhymes, great hooks and melodies that are going to express what the world is going through- in particular with losses of jobs, foreclosures, a perspective on life, romance, fathers, death, incarceration. Done in a way that's clever. The game is in a severe decline. They can pull the cord on the game right now. Music ain't gon' never stop- of course we gonna keep making music and it's gonna be out there. But if the business model doesn't exist, what is it? What do we have? Because this is just business. These cats aren't going to support what we do as a art form if they can't make any money off of this. Let's increase the creativity.

• 3 weeks later...

The recent rift between rap veteran MC Hammer and Jay-Z was reportedly caused from a conversation made with Kanye West.

According to reports, religious tension was also an underlying theme.

I know, people have totally forgotten about this one by now, but I got a recent tip that seems to give insight on what happened here. Now, you know Hammer is a serious Christian. Remember, how Kanye West used to be with the whole "Jesus Walks" period of time? Well, I heard Hammer sort of became endeared by Kanye's affinity for Christianity. So, I heard, Hammer had a conversation with him about Jay-Z, who he now refers to as "hell boy" or "the beast." Well....I don't know what happened after that, but I heard something got back to Jay and caused Jay to go at Hammer. I'm sure the truth will come out, but these are the rumors from the sources I have. (All Hip Hop)

On Kanye West's "So Appalled" collaboration, Jay references Hammer's fall from fame and publicized bankruptcy woes despite being a platinum-selling artist in the early 1990's.

"And Hammer went broke so you know I'm more focused/ I lost 30 mil so I spent another 30/Cause unlike Hammer 30 million can't hurt me." ("So Appalled")

Following the song's release last month, Hammer warned Jay about the consequence of calling him out.

"@kanyewest jay-hoe aka #HellBoy Tell Jay Oct 31 (Devils Nite) We'll see if this record and video"Hurt's Him" .. #IamHammer," Hammer tweeted on Saturday (September 25).

"KING HAMMER:You wanted my attention #HellBoy (Jigga) ..you got it .. http://bit.ly/9BIhWj #IamHammer."

"These lil demons and Imps stopping by timeline today.. Yes,I dissesd yo #Daddy .. The dude who made the #Lucifersong....smh"

"Stop talking about money when you know you can't put 50 thousand dollars together at a Family Reunion.. #Demons"

"Laughing at these grown men coming on my timeline with they #pompoms waving for #HellBoy (Jigga) .."

"Let me mess you #HellBoy (Jigga) Stans high up... What verse you gone put in front of me ? #Demons" (MC Hammer's Twitter)

Hammer's financial problems date back to the mid-1990's.

Due to a fickle public growing bored with his positive message in previous albums during the rise of gangsta rap, as well as excessive spending while supporting friends and family, Hammer became $13 million in debt. He would go on to explain in Inside Out (1995) that he felt many of his so-called friends he staffed used and betrayed him and had contributed to a majority of his financial loss (best explained in the song "Keep On" from this album). He would also claim this again on The Ellen DeGeneres Show in 2009. Because of dwindling album sales and a lavish lifestyle, Hammer eventually filed for bankruptcy in April 1996. (Wikipedia)

• 2 weeks later...

Rap veteran MC Hammer has confirmed speculation about a Jay-Z diss record called "Better Run Run" has been recorded.

Although Hammer did not provide a link to the song, he tweeted about his new anthem.

"jblack98 @MCHammer I'm glad u exposed Jz. So many pple don't kno n I think even Christians period r in the dark. This stuff is deeper than we think.," Hammer re-tweeted on Halloween.

"In West Oakland knockin' this #BetterRunRun ... Streets loving' it!!! #KingHammer."

"toddtuller1 @MCHammer the jay z explanation was great. I never put 2n2 together. I think you opened a lot of peoples eyes. Peace brother." (MC Hammer's Twitter)

Earlier in the week, Hammer released a promotional trailer painting Jay-Z as a devil worshipper.

With a couple of days before his scheduled Jay-Z diss video, MC Hammer has released a trailer for his retaliation music video entitled "Better Run Run." The video features a red devli-looking person dressed up and running through a parking garage. Smoke is also coming out of the masked person's face. After a long twitter rant by Hammer, the emcee announced that he would release a retaliation record on October 31st. "Better Run Run!" -King Hammer- Oct 31st (Hip Hop Wired)

Last weekend, reports claimed religious tension was at fault for the issues between Jay-Z and the "Too Legit To Quit" entertainer.

I know, people have totally forgotten about this one by now, but I got a recent tip that seems to give insight on what happened here. Now, you know Hammer is a serious Christian. Remember, howKanye West used to be with the whole "Jesus Walks" period of time? Well, I heard Hammer sort of became endeared by Kanye's affinity for Christianity. So, I heard, Hammer had a conversation with him about Jay-Z, who he now refers to as "hell boy" or "the beast." Well....I don't know what happened after that, but I heard something got back to Jay and caused Jay to go at Hammer. I'm sure the truth will come out, but these are the rumors from the sources I have. (All Hip Hop)

On Kanye West's "So Appalled" collaboration, Jay references Hammer's fall from fame and publicized bankruptcy woes despite being a platinum-selling artist in the early 1990's.

"And Hammer went broke so you know I'm more focused/ I lost 30 mil so I spent another 30/Cause unlike Hammer 30 million can't hurt me." ("So Appalled")

I just found the video for "Better Run Run", this is probably the most creative diss song since Nas' "Ether", this is the way Will shoulda made "Mr. Nice Guy", these overrated rappers like Eminem and Jay-Z need to go down baby!!!! I see Hammer's taking his flow back to the "Funky Headhunter" days, don't hurt 'em Hammer, he still got it!!! It's picking up buzz fast, maybe Hammer might be the 1st rapper in his late 40's to go platinum, doing for the real old school hip hop!!! Ha Ha, I'm loving this baby, the video's hilarious, sure other rappers dissed Jigga for worshipping the devil but Hammer just did it the most effective and that's what matters the most, this is one of the main reasons that makes me a hip hop fan!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFtQML2O5B0

MC Hammer - Better Run Run Lyrics :-

Chorus
Thats the fire, thats the fire, thats the fire

Thats the fire, thats the fire, thats the fire, what

Better run, better run run, uh
Better run, better run run, lets go there (oh yeah)
lets go there (oh yeah)

[Verse 1]
Lets go where the lights is hot
(?) gotta back up on the sh-t he pop
lets go there, the game is so cold
I could see it in his eyes, the boy sold his soul
Devil said I’ma give you the World
“I’ll take it, plus give me a girl”
Mr Devil can you give me a sign
he said “Throw the Roc up, thats one of mine”

lets go

[Chorus]

[Verse 2]
Yo Jay, I got a Reasonable Doubt
if I knocked on your door would you come on out
if I knocked on your door that mean I’m knocking you out
If I knocked on your door boy, I’ll buss ya in ya mouth
uh, see me son I don’t play
I come from the shoulders that due the hard way
new rules, let me show you the way
if a rapper talk tough he gotta back up what he say

http://lyricsmusicvideo.blogspot.com/2010/11/mc-hammer-better-run-run-lyrics-video.html

[Chorus]

[Verse 3]
I don’t really have to go in on the fella
but that dude wrote back to devil
nah nah I don’t roc-your-wear
your shoes I don’t need a dark pair
that boy tried to steal my swag
fingerprints all over the bag
imposter get him outta here
imposter the king is right here, lets go

[Chorus]

Yeah you’re now rocking with the king of heart
the king of heart, tearing all imposters apart
yeah, king, king, king, king, king, king, king…

Lets go

[Chorus]

Edited by bigted

This is freakin' ill....I can't help but dance in my seat. I don't think I ever grooved to a diss track before. Ha ha. Hammer does have swag tho.' Keep in mind he went at Eminem on "Full Blast." I like that the lyrics come of pretty vague unless u know who he's talking about. Hopefully the attention he's getting from this whole thing will lead to MC Hammer getting the mainstream attention he's deserved. Love him or hate him, it would be one of Hip-Hop's greatest comebacks.

Like I said, Jay realy already adressed all this ish a while ago.. Hammer should pay more attention.. Jigga won this round before round before it stardet.. I doubt he's even gonna respond anyway. By the way, I know all the Jay-Z haters will not get this, but it's still a fact.. That Jigga line was not a Hammer diss.. It is a fact, Hammer is a running joke when it comes to going broke.. and that his own fault aint it.. Next to that it is also a fact that 30 mil can't hurt Hove.. He's close to being a billionaire. But wahtever, Hammer sees a possibility to get back in the spotlight, so he jumps on the illuminati train dissing Jigga. Why else should he only go at Jigga, the most popular Rapper in the world right now, and not at all the other people who mentionm his name in combination with going broke? This is a wack move, period. Hammer is full of them, he was once cool, but for a lonbg time now he's jumping on and off diffrent bandwagons to get back again.. Hyphy anyone?

Niggas couldn’t do nothing with me they put the devil on me
I would have preferred if niggas would squeeze the metal on me
Rumors of Lucifer, I don’t know who to trust
Whole world want my demise, turn my music up
Here me clearly
If y’all niggas fear me, just say y’all fear me
**** all these fairy tales, go to hell this is God engineering
This is a Hail Mary pass, y’all interfering
He without sin shall cast the first stone
So y’all check in the mirror, double check your appearance
Bitch I said I was amazing
Not that I’m a Mason
It’s amazing that I made it through the maze that I was in
Lord forgive me I never would’ve made it without sin
Holy Water, my face in the basin
Diamonds in my rosary shows he forgave him
Bitch I’m red hot, I’m on my third six but the devil, I’m not
My Jesus piece flooded but thou shall not covet
Keep your eyes off my cupboard
I’m a bad mother****er, it’s Hov just say you love it

Edited by Turntable

I'm not a Jay-Z hater, far from it, I like some of his music, especially stuff from his earlier albums but he basically jumps on bandwagons himself, he didn't promote real hip hop artists like LL Cool J and Method Man when he was Def Jam president and he promoted garbage rappers like Young Jeezy and Rick Ross, he'll work with rappers like Lil' Wayne faster than a real hip hop artist, MC Hammer basically started a lot of the trends that rappers today have used and he didn't go broke, he's still richer than most of us fans will ever dream of being so people need to quit hating on him