JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BACK TO BACK ID4 SEQUELS - WILL SMITH LOCKED?

JumpinJack AJ

Brent Spiner will return for Independence Day 2

So we guess Dr. Brackish Okun survived Independence Day after all?

It certainly seems that way, with director Roland Emmerich announcing on Twitter that Brent Spiner will return in the upcoming Independence Day 2. Emmerich also announced the addition of Fargo actress Joey King to the cast, which already includes Vivica A. Fox, Jessie Usher, Jeff Goldblum, Liam Hemsworth, and Charlotte Gainsbourg.

Carter Blanchard is writing the script for the sequel, which is reportedly set for a June 24, 2016 release. 

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/10/brent-spiner-will-return-independence-day-2

It's cool that a lot of the cast is returning, but it doesn't justify returning to a world and trying to come up with a new story for it when the first is a stand-alone film in every way.  It'll be interesting to see if I'll eat my own words in the future, but I see this whole thing as fueled by greed.  There's no art to it, just a chance to monopolize off something people already spent a lot of money to see back in 1996.

It's cool that a lot of the cast is returning, but it doesn't justify returning to a world and trying to come up with a new story for it when the first is a stand-alone film in every way.  It'll be interesting to see if I'll eat my own words in the future, but I see this whole thing as fueled by greed.  There's no art to it, just a chance to monopolize off something people already spent a lot of money to see back in 1996.

​I don't think I can agree, AJ. ID4 ended in a manner that left room for a lot of stories to be told. Will and Jeff destroyed the mother ship and subsequently incapacitated all of the sub-ships, but it is inevitable that aliens survived and have quite a bit of tech... at least enough to pose a major threat for surviving humans. Moreover, most of the major cities of the world have been destroyed, governments have been toppled, and order is scarce. Disease is likely rampant, people who lived in and escaped the cities are living in refugee camps in cities and towns that don't have the resources to support them and humans (both good and bad) now have access to very powerful and dangerous alien technology. There are a lot of stories here  and it always felt weird to me to leave the aftermath up in the air.

I also don't think this is greed. 1 sequel in 20 years when there are great, unforced stories that can be told isn't really greed. We all... well, many of us... enjoyed ID4 and want it to remain untouched, but it seems worth it to revisit that universe and see what the aftermath could be.

• Admin

The thing is most hollywood blockbusters are superhero movies these days.. An independence day movie/a disaster movie/which harkens back to the past would actually be quite different to avengers or iron man 4 at this point so I am more interested in this than I was maybe 5 or 10 years ago. Getting the original cast back was a good move, and then getting a young star like Hemsworth means this could be big.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Synopsis

We always knew they were coming back. After Independence Day redefined the event movie genre, the next epic chapter delivers global catastrophe on an unimaginable scale. Using recovered alien technology, the nations of Earth have collaborated on an immense defense program to protect the planet. But nothing can prepare us for the aliens' advanced and unprecedented force. Only the ingenuity of a few brave men and women can bring our world back from the brink of extinction.

First Poster

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_748,w_640/t_mp_quality/jy3iowqbspy7hvijxmfh/independence-day-2-first-poster-and-synopsis-447065.jpg

• Members

The reason why Will won't appear in Independence Day 2 (got it from his Facebook):

"I wanted to make Independence Day 2. I worked very hard with Dean & Roland (the producer & director) to find what I would do in my performance that would be new, different and exciting for the fans.

But, as an artist I'm in a very different place in
my life. I'm 46 years old and I am impelled to push aggressively toward new places, new challenges and ideas. You will see in my next few films that I am taking HUGE artistic gambles. I am WAY out of my comfort zone. I want this period of my career to be the least Safe I've ever been.

But, It broke my heart to not return with the cast.

you might as well as name the movie something else if will ain't a part of it 'cause he's a major reason why the original id4 was such a classic! at this point i could respect will wanting to go a different direction with his filmmaking....

But, as an artist I'm in a very different place in my life. I'm 46 years old and I am impelled to push aggressively toward new places, new challenges and ideas. You will see in my next few films that I am taking HUGE artistic gambles. I am WAY out of my comfort zone. I want this period of my career to be the least Safe I've ever been.

​Yeah, but still we're hearing he's gonna do another 'Bad Boys' movie :lol: