JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BACK TO BACK ID4 SEQUELS - WILL SMITH LOCKED?

JumpinJack AJ

Producer Dean Devlin Talks INDEPENDENCE DAY 2

“I can tell you that Roland Emmerich and I are working together for the first time in eleven years and we are working really hard to try and make this happen. I don’t know if we’re gonna pull it off. I don’t know if it is going to happen. But I can tell you that we’re spending a lot of effort, that we’re writing together for the first time in eleven years. And we want to make it happen.”

“I think that the story that we finally cracked is finally worthy of a sequel. And I think that the people who have been fans will feel like they got the movie they were waiting for.”

“Many years ago, I was actually hired to write the sequel to Independence Day. And I wrote a sequel. And they paid me a boatload of money to go write this thing. And after I wrote it, I read it and I gave them back the money and I said, ‘look, this is an okay movie I just wrote. But it’s not worthy of the sequel to Independence Day.’ And I literally gave back the money. And afterwards I said, ‘You know what? I’m not even going to try anymore.’ And it was only about a year-and-a-half ago that Roland called me up and said, ‘We should try again.’”

He also said that the script would use the time between the movies as a plot point.

Watch video here!

http://collider.com/independence-day-2-sequel-dean-devlin-interview/184201/

• 1 month later...

Independence Day sequels latest

(Cover) - EN Movies - Independence Day director Roland Emmerich says the sequels will be a “continuation” of the original.

The first film starred Will Smith as USMC Captain Steven Hiller, who fought aliens who had invaded earth.

Now Emmerich has revealed what can be expected from the upcoming sequels.

“It won’t actually be two single sequels, but the continuation of Independence Day which will be called ID Forever - Part 1 and ID Forever – Part 2,” he revealed to Filmstarts.

Emmerich added the new pictures are likely to be released in 3D, as Fox Studios are funding them.

Although the studio is very successful with 3D releases, Emmerich prefers his movies to be two dimensional.

"My opening line was: 'I really don’t like 3D. So do whatever you want, but run it by me,’” he confessed. "Have you ever taken magic mushrooms? It feels a little bit like that."

Emmerich is currently filming his latest offering White House.

http://www.film-news.co.uk/show-news.asp?H=Independence-Day-sequels-latest&nItemID=14423

• 3 months later...
Bill Pullman Gives Independence Day 2 Updates
'I like what I have to do in both of them. I’m not in an old age home in a wheelchair being wheeled out for one more moment.'
Bill Pullman plays the president in the new NBC comedy “1600 Penn.” We got to interview him at the Television Critics Association party for NBC, and he said a sequel to Independence Day could begin filming within a year. We know, we know, they keep talking about Independence Day 2 and even when Will Smith says he’d do it, it doesn’t happen. Pullman said director Roland Emmerich and producer Dean Devlin has a plan, even if his new show becomes a massive hit.
“Within a year, yeah, something like that I guess,” Pullman said. “I worried about taking this part because it’s heating up. I thought, ‘I don’t know if I should do the comedy’ and I talked to Dean [Devlin] and Roland [Emmerich] and they said, “No, do it. We’ll work around it. If it goes, we’ll work around it.”
If “1600 Penn” gets a second season, there could still be a summer hiatus in which Pullman could film a movie. However, Independence Day is an ensemble so they could even schedule Pullman’s scenes around his NBC gig.
“Well, I don’t know if it needs to be hiatus,” Pullman said. “I think they’re willing to work around shooting.”
Smith has expressed interest in returning to the role that made him a July 4 box office star, but he’s very busy. Pullman confirmed there is a backup plan for a sequel that would not involve Smith’s character.
“The Will Smith part of it may be ongoing but I think there’s strategies for both. I like what I have to do in both of them. I’m not in an old age home in a wheelchair being wheeled out for one more moment. It’s a very interesting conception of what happens to Whitmore between then and when it picks back up.”
Even Pullman is realistic about the sequel though. He’s heard all this talk before too. “Nobody’s holding their breath because it’s been continually plagued.”
We’ll be back with more on Independence Day 2 after we whoop E.T.’s ass.

It's a dumb idea. It's so dumb that I'm challenged to understand why people think it's a good idea...other than greedy companies that will profit from it. FP has said many times "zero chance." It pains me that he'd consider it without seeing a miracle of a script that almost makes the idea of a sequel tolerable. The bottom line is; the earth doesn't get attacked by aliens twice. To pursue that idea tarnishes the original. The only thing that gives me an ounce of fear that FP would do it is that he's done moves like Hancock, which I can't imagine were that good on paper when he agreed to do it.

I think it would be a great idea to make at least one sequel. The subsequent world that was created in ID4 is rich with stories.

We have never seen a big budget movie about a present-day world having to rebuild and defend itself after a massive alien attack. Let's remember where we left off. Every major city in the world was destroyed and a ridiculous percentage of the world's population was killed off. No doubt, countries were toppled and dictatorships arose. We likely have nuclear missiles unaccounted for... disease... illness... poor medical care, fractured governments... and to top it off, we still have a healthy alien population running around and planning revenge if not amassing another attack. The story could write itself.

The maddening thing about many of these apocalyptic movies is that we rarely get a chance to see what happens after the apocalypse; no comprehensive forward glimpse or post log. We're left to imagine what could happen after we blow the alien space ship out of the sky and win the day, forgetting that they day hasn't really been won... our cities are still devastated and most of our world population is still dead... that "win" was just the beginning.

There is so much more that can be told while adhering to the original theme of Independence Day... the resilience of the human spirit. It should be made.

• 2 months later...

I have a few things to say (of course). First off, reading him talk about the idea for the new movies sounds rather elementary. It sounds like a 12 year old who is talking about his idea in a very excited way...yet, hasn't thought it out.

Secondly, he's an idiot for saying he "doesn't want Will." Ten years ago FP said there was "zero chance" he'd return for an ID4 movie because there is no logical reason to do so (other than to make money). He's flirted with the idea by saying he'd do it if the script is right, but that's because he know that a sequel isn't right at all. Plus, the "world" in the movie isn't going to be a sequel at all since it's going to focus on the younger generation. There's just no good ideas tied to it.

Going back to the statement "Will is too big" for the movie...that's BS. In all honesty, if "Will Smith" is too big for something, it would be Bad Boys or Men In Black...but he loves those movies and it MAKES SENSE to revisit them. ID4 is an awesome, epic movie. If there would be a reason to make a sequel, it would be MORE APPROPRIATE for him to be involved.

Sorry, I get worked up about this every time I read about plans for ID4 sequels. If they happen, I hope they fall flat on their face. ID4 is a stand alone movie. Let it exist on its own and be awesome.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...