JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Willow Smith : Whip My Hair

MissAshley

obviously because willow's the daughter of the fresh prince and the lovely jada she's getting more attention, which is a good and bad thing for many reasons, at 9 years old she still has a lot of growing to do and i don't mind her making songs for fun, when i was 9 years old was when i would sing karaoke with my friends and when i look at back at my early raps at 15 years old i laugh, i'm still trying to figure out things at 25 years old and since I'm not related to nobody famous i probably won't ever go platinum either and i'll have to work regular jobs for most of my life, that's just a reflection of society, it's just like obama's kids will have a better chance of being future presidents than most of us, even the ones who're more qualified, it's just the breaks.... personally i didn't even know that this many people were still posting on this board until i went through this thread, when i make a post about a music legend like keith sweat putting out new music or even kel spencer putting out some real hip hop stuff it don't get much attention, there's still good artists out there but people pay too much attention to gimmicks and i really tried hard to hold back from saying this 'cause i've been on the sidelines looking at this thread in between but this is nothing but a gimmick, i know a gimmick when i see one, i wish willow all the best for her future but being in the entertainment industry that chews and spits out careers might not be the best for her, I just pray that "Whip My Hair" won't be looked at as the "Macarena" of 2010 15 years from now, but i'll probably be still working 9-5 then so really who am i to talk right, some things in life just ain't the way they should be...

Willow Smith: 'Rockstar' Song Preview!

Check out a preview of Willow Smith’s new song! The fun track is called “Rockstar”, JustJared.com can exclusively confirm.

The song was played in the background of the behind-the-scenes look of Willow’s “Whip My Hair” video.

“Rockstar” isn’t decidedly the second single off Willow’s much-anticipated album but will definitely be on the record.

Can’t wait to hear the whole song!

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/12/22/willow-smith-rockstar-song-preview/

Whipping Your Hair Is 'Supposed to Make You Scared' Says Willow Smith

willowrecut300mc122210.jpg

When Willow Smith first entered the music scene with her debut song, 'Whip My Hair,' no one could have predicted the 10-year-old would become an overnight sensation.

As the daughter of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, the tiny songstress is no stranger to the limelight. Her brother Jaden starred in the remake of the classic film 'The Karate Kid' this past summer. Willow's new found role as a performer is a natural fit in her talented family.

And still, nepotism had nothing to do with the wildfire internet and radio takeover 'Whip My Hair' staged. It was all about attitude.

"Whipping your hair is kind of the thing where you do it and people are like, 'Yeah, that's pretty cool, Willow.' I'm like, 'Thanks ... but it's supposed to make you scared!'" Smith explained.

PopEater sat down with Willow Smith to talk about her off-the-charts style and what celebrity loves to whip his hair! Watch the video interview after the jump.

http://www.popeater.com/2010/12/22/willow-smith-whip-my-hair/

Willow Smith On 'Parents Just Don't Understand,' 'Twilight,' Jay-Z, And Being 10

hiphopmediatraining6895.jpg

Willow Smith's odds for success are greater than those of the average 10-year-old aspiring child star.

Both of her parents are already famous. When her father Will Smith was a teen, his hip-hop group Jazzy Jeff And The Fresh Prince earned the first hip-hop Grammy for their song "Parents Just Don't Understand." By the early '90s, he starred in his own sitcom, "The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air," and then took over the big screen with blockbuster credits like "Independence Day" and "Men In Black."

Her mother, Jada Pinkett Smith, has a respectable resume of television and movie roles, including co-starring in Eddie Murphy's "The Nutty Professor."

Even her older brother, Jaden, has made a name for himself. Last summer, he starred in an adaptation of the '80s teen martial arts flick, "The Karate Kid."

Willow is already following suit.

Her first musical release, "Whip My Hair," was an instant hit, selling more than two million downloads. The buzz of the song about swinging her hair back and forth eclipsed the news of Rihanna's "Only Girl (In The World)" when the songs were released on the same day in October.

Yahoo! Music recently scored one of the budding superstar's first online interviews. It felt like we were meeting a young Will Smith when we met Willow in her dressing room after a rehearsal session. Aside from her hazel eyes and pompadour-like 'do, she looks nearly identical to her dad and has his personality to match.

Watch Video!

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hiphopmediatraining/348884/willow-smith-on-parents-just-dont-understand-twilight-jay-z-and-being-10

Her comedic timing is excellent. When the cameraman experienced technical difficulties, Willow eased the otherwise tense moment by making sarcastic jokes. And instead of responding "No comment" to questions she was not at liberty to discuss about her forthcoming album, she offered precious, goofy sound bites.

In our quick chat, we covered a lot of ground: the best advice she has received from her parents, her favorite hair style in the "Whip My Hair" video, what it is like being signed to Jay-Z's Roc Nation label, and what's the toughest part about being a child entertainer.

YAHOO MUSIC: Hey Willow. Great to meet you. What does the song "Whip My Hair" mean?

WILLOW SMITH: It's about don't be afraid to be yourself. Don't let anybody tell you that's wrong. Just be yourself.

What's your favorite hairstyle in the "Whip My Hair" video?

The cotton candy one.

I know you've done some acting as well. Which do you like best, acting or singing?

I'm in the music world right now, so I don't really focus on acting. But I love acting.

Are you planning to remake your dad's song "Parents Just Don't Understand"?

There's a possibility that I will. There's a possibility. It's a really good song.

What's the best advice you have received from your parents?

Have fun because that's the best. If you're not really having fun then there's no point of really trying. And sometimes it can be work. You need to do it. Sometimes you have to do it because you have to promote your song.

Considering you are 10-years-old, what message do you want other kids to get from your music?

I have the motto that says whatever you see in your closet that you like pick it and wear it. It's not just your closet, but just your life. Whatever catches your eye. Pick it.

What is it like being on Jay-Z's Roc Nation label?

When I have an idea, and I express it to him, he doesn't say, 'Oh, that's bad. I don't like it. That's bad.' He tries to make it better.

Why were you nervous to meet him?

He's Jay-Z! He sold like I don't know many albums he sold. I was really nervous.

Tell me about some of your other songs?

I can't tell you. But they're going to have messages in them like "Whip My Hair."

Is recording music harder than you expected?

It's hard because when you're in the studio, and your friends are calling you like, 'Oh you want to go see this movie 'Twilight' it's coming out in a couple days.' And I'm like, 'Oh, I can't I'm recording. Have fun.' And I'm like, 'Mom, can I not do recording?' And she's like, 'Well, you have to because you want to do songs.' So it's hard.

How much input do you have in picking which songs you are going to record?

I actually have a lot. They chose what songs they want to do. ... And they bring them to me, and I can pick which ones I do want to do. So when I pick them, I sing them, and they turn into 'Whip My Hair.'

Is there anything about Willow Smith you want people to know?

I like to eat cheese out of a bowl everyday.

Willow will be performing on New Year's Rockin' Eve airing on ABC on December 31 at 10/9c.

Edited by Ale

Willow Smith Talks About Her Best New Year's Eve - NYRE 2011

Willow Smith talks about how she is excited to be part of Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve. She also talks about how she normally spends New Year's Eve with her parents watching the ball drop.

• 2 weeks later...

TMZ has obtained documents filed by Roc Nation, Willow's record label owned by Jay-Z. According to the docs, Roc Nation entered into a recording agreement with Spooky Girl, Inc. "for exclusive recording and entertainment services of Willow Smith."

Spooky Girl is Willow's company -- sort of. You see, the Prez of Spooky Girl is Will, and Willow is listed as an "employee."

And it gets more interesting, because Jada Pinkett Smith is listed as Willow's guardian. Will can't list himself as a parent or guardian because it conflicts with his duties as president of Spooky Girl. So legally speaking, Jada protects Willow from Will!

Contracts involving minors must be filed with the court. But Will and Jada argued in legal docs that the Roc Nation contract contains "highly sensitive and confidential proprietary business and financial information." So the Roc Nation contract was filed under seal, so no one could see how much money Willow is raking in.

http://www.tmz.com/page/3/

Guest Bloggerking

http://themakingofamoaner.blogspot.com/2010/10/meet-will-smith-clan.html

I have wrote here what I think about Willow and her family

They are all super talented and deserve success

Skillz talks "Rap Up," reveals writing for Willow Smith

BET.com: What else are you working on?

Skillz: I put an album out. “The World Needs More Skillz” came out October 27. We’re about to shoot the second video for that. I got a Travis Barker remix, the cut that I’m about to release, I got a couple of new videos. I did this movie last year. Me and Jazzy Jeff are collaborating on an album this year. I’m still hosting parties, working on songs. We’re working on some stuff for Willow Smith’s album.

BET.com: How did that come about?

Skillz: I mean, you know, I worked with her dad [Will Smith] on a few projects before so you know I have a relationship with him. It was just a natural progression like they’re doing music so, you know, that door’s always open. I’d be crazy not to try to walk through it, so we’re working on some stuff. Her Roc Nation debut will be out probably next year.

BET.com: What's it like writing from the perspective of a 10-year-old girl?

Skillz: I mean, I can write for anybody. It’s just stepping outside of yourself, looking at the market and realize on what’s missing and try to fill that void. We all throw darts, sometimes they stick, sometimes they don’t. But, you know, you keep going.

Source: http://www.bet.com/Music/news/Skillztalksrapup_musicnews.01.03.11.htm