JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Willow Smith : Whip My Hair

MissAshley

Access Hollywood Live: Willow Smith Whips Her Hair For Us!

Willow Smith brings her trendsetting style to Access Hollywood Live and shares details from behind the scenes of her new music video for “Whip My Hair.” Plus, which of her famous parents is more strict — Will or Jada?

http://www.accesshollywood.com/access-hollywood-live-willow-smith-whips-her-hair-for-us_video_1254847

Willow Smith Says Jay-Z Deal Shows 'Hard Work Paid Off'

'Whip My Hair' singer also cites Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, Billy Idol as musical influences.

She's a 9-year-old fresh princess with swagger to spare. He's a 40-year-old mogul from Marcy with a portfolio so expansive Forbes named him 2010's Hip-Hop Cash King. An unlikely pairing, maybe, but Willow Smith and Jay-Z seem destined to make beautiful music together. The "Whip My Hair" songstress visited MTV News on Tuesday and opened up about her reaction to Hov wanting to ink her to his Roc Nation label.

"It felt like all the hard work paid off, mostly that," Willow told us. "Like all the hard work that I've done, like recording 'Whip My Hair' — it's paid off." She recalled making introductions: "We went to this building, I don't remember what it was, but we had a meeting and I got to hang out with him and meet him, and it was fun."

Whereas other acts sometimes languish for months after signing to a record company, Jay and his Roc Nation team have moved swiftly around the talented tween. An announcement of the deal came just two days after the bouncy single leaked to the Net, and its colorful clip premiered a little more than a month later, on Monday.

In a radio interview with Ryan Seacrest last month, Jay said he was surprised at how poised Willow was when he flew to Japan to meet her and the Smiths — Will, Jada and brother Jaden — on "The Karate Kid" set.

"She walked in and the first thing she said was, 'I'm really nervous,' and I thought, 'That's maturity to explain exactly how she was feeling when she walked right into the room.' I knew right then she was a star," Jay relayed. "I believe in superstars. I believe in big records and superstars, and I think she has both."

Willow's breakout single, a "do you" track that she explained champions fearlessness and individuality "because the best thing is you," has had music watchers speculating about what a Willow Smith debut LP will sound like.

More clues about that are probably tucked into her eclectic short list of favorite artists.

"Lady Gaga, Billy Idol," she shot back when asked about her influences. Smith, it should be noted, had festooned her denim military blazer with a custom-made Gaga brooch and her curly Mohawk would probably inspire a lip curl of approval from the '80s rocker.

She quickly added Beyoncé and Jay-Z "and my mom and my dad!" (It should also be noted that Willow kicked off our interview effortlessly rapping the first few bars of her dad's hip-hop classic "Summertime"). Will, of course, scored a string of PG rap hits in the late '80s as the rhyming half of DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, while actress mom Jada has toured in the past with her metal band.

Watch Video!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1650474/20101020/willow_smith.jhtml

Edited by Ale

“Whip My Hair” Director: ‘Willow Smith Is A Superstar Already’

raykaywillow.gif

Ray Kay and Willow Smith

When Willow Smith‘s video for her sizzling debut single, “Whip My Hair,” premiered Monday, everyone on the internet was atwitter over it. The nine-year-old daughter of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith pleased fans young and old with the colorful, bold and energetic clip.

Other than Willow, no one else could be more excited by the overwhelmingly positive feedback than the video’s director, Ray Kay.

“I’m so excited to see all the buzz about this video on the web,” the director, who’s worked with Lady Gaga, Beyonce, and Trey Songz, said in a statement provided to Neon Limelight. “Willow really deserves this, she’s a superstar already.”

The “Whip My Hair” video has already crossed 2.7 million views on YouTube and became a trending topic on Twitter.

Sure, the video is hot right now, but Ray Kay sees big things for it in the future as well, thanks to their use of color and fashion. “The video will surely be considered a classic a few years from now,” Ray Kay said. “I think we managed to create a fresh expression using Willow’s amazing energy, a positive and inspiring concept, and mixing the colors of the sets with Willow’s fashion, which consisted of custom-made clothing and exclusive One Z jumpsuits from California Christiania Republic. She’s a trendsetter already and I’m sure others will be copying her style soon!

http://neonlimelight.com/2010/10/20/whip-my-hair-director-willow-smith-is-a-superstar-already/

Video: Willow Smith On Justin Bieber, Paris Fashion Week, and Her Personal Style

Willow Smith came to visit Teen Vogue today and brought the most amazingly delicious cupcakes for the whole staff. Her fashion energy was totally contagious: Everyone was so excited she was here--especially because we had all been watching the fierce "Whip My Hair" video online all morning (no doubt we'll be buying her single when it hits iTunes on October 26th). Check out what she had to say about Justin Bieber, Dolce & Gabbana, and her personal style.

On her lucky number "44" (which was written in sharpie on her palm):
I was sitting at the piano, and I just picked it at random. I thought: Taylor Swift has one, why not me? And it turned out Jay-Z's birthday was December 4th, Beyonce's birthday is September 4th, and their anniversary has something to do with a 4, too.

On sitting front row at Dolce & Gabbana at Paris fashion week:
I was writing a song on my phone, and my mom walked in and said: Willow. And I was like: Mom give me a minute, because I was focused on writing. And I looked up and there was Dolce, and I was like: Oh my God.

On her style:
I used to like dresses and tights but when I turned nine, my style changed. My mom helps me pick out my clothes, but my brother always says: Willow, sag your pants!

On Justin Bieber (she had our October issue in front of her with Biebs on the cover):
Jayden is always hanging out with him. Sometimes it's like: Come home for dinner already!

WATCH VIDEO HERE!!

http://www.teenvogue.com/industry/blogs/entertainment/2010/10/willow-smith-visits-teen-vogue.html

Edited by Ale

Willow Smith: Justin Bieber Concert Appearance!

Kid superstar Willow Smith joined teen sensation Justin Bieber on stage during his sold-out concert on Monday night (October 25) at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Girl’s got so much swagger. Watch below!!!

Justin tweeted after the concert, “LA TONIGHT WAS CRAZY!!!! USHER, JADEN [sMITH], SEAN [KINGSTON], and even my lil sis WILLOW SMITH!!!! WE SHUT LA DOWN!!!!!!!! LOVE YA’LL.”

Willow’s “Whip My Hair” video has only been out for a week and it’s already racked up at 8 million views. Amazing!!!

The 9-year-old daughter of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith will participate in a LIVE chat tonight at 7:30pm ET on UStream. Tune in!

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/10/26/willow-smith-justin-bieber/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-x-5Iih-BM

Willow's Official Site has been updated again! Now it looks like a decent site: http://www.willowsmith.com

There are some pretty cool pictures on there too! Check them out: http://www.willowsmith.com/us/photos/

-----

Willow Smith Wants Fame ‘Like Mommy & Daddy’

And says she’s surprised by Whip My Hair’s success…

Willow Smith has admitted she’s been inspired to become famous and ‘help people’ by her A-list parents.

The nine year old is the daughter of actor/rapper Will Smith and singer/ actress Jada Pinkett Smith.

Willow told AP: “I wanted to make a difference now, (and) because I wanted to be big and famous like my mommy and daddy and help people. I would go on tour with them and watch them and I'd be like, 'Oh my gosh, that's what I wanna do’.”

She continued: “They said never be afraid to be yourself, even when you're in the spotlight.”

The young sensation also said she was “very surprised” at how big Whip My Hair has got, saying: “I just think that it's like, individuality that they're excited about."

And she praised her idol Lady GaGa, saying: "She's really awesome because she cares about everybody and she writes songs about herself and everybody."

http://www.mtv.co.uk/artists/willow-smith/news/243767-willow-smith-wants-fame-like-mommy-daddy

Edited by Ale

Willow Smith Banned From Negative Reviews!

WILLOW Smith has been banned from reading negative reviews!

The Whip My Hair singer — the daughter of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett — says her famous father shields her from the harsh comments made by some detractors online.

“Whenever I’m on YouTube trying to look at my song to show my friends, he’s like covering the comments,” Willow said, “and I’m like, ‘Dad, what’s wrong?’ And he’s like, ‘Nothing, it’s just there’s people out there who really don’t like it.’”

Willow, 9, recently revealed that Whip My Hair is supposed to be an inspiration to people.

“Whip My Hair means don’t be afraid to be yourself, and don’t let anybody tell you that that’s wrong,” she said. “Because the best thing is you.”

http://www.showbizspy.com/article/216352/willow-smith-banned-from-negative-reviews.html

-----

Willow Smith Reveals Her Unusual Halloween Costume

'I'm gonna be myself,' she says of her plans for Halloween, which happens to be her 10th birthday.

Although one of her musical idols has spawned one of 2010's most popular Halloween costumes, Willow Smith doesn't plan to go trick-or-treating as Lady Gaga this year. Nope, the 9-year-old upstart intends to dress up as ... herself.

"I'm gonna be myself, and I'm gonna go around the neighborhood saying, 'Do you like Willow Smith?' And then I'm gonna be like, 'Ta-da! It's me,' " the Roc Nation artist explained.

While it seems a rather unusual idea for a costume, the tween singer's 10th birthday happens to fall on Halloween, and that may account, in part, for Smith's unwillingness to don a disguise. But more likely, the "Whip My Hair" singer, whose mantra is "the best thing is you," just happens to realize that it's pretty cool to be Willow.

For Halloween-ers who want to follow suit, keep in mind that being Willow, à la her "Whip My Hair" video, requires a trip to your local beauty-supply outpost. From heart-shaped braids to fuchsia-frosted locks, Willow's hairdos — and those of her Warriorettes crew — would take honors at an Atlanta hair show and are key to miming her style. (A hot-glue gun and an abundance of rhinestones, studs and grommets will get you halfway there.)

One rather edible-looking 'do in particular ranks as Smith's favorite from the colorful clip: "The cotton-candy one, the one with the big-old balls of cotton candy, 'cause it was very crazy." But boys and girls attempting the look should be crafty; the pink poof is synthetic and took some serious scissor-work. "We had to cut it and snip it and do all that stuff," Smith warned.

Video here:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1650788/20101025/willow_smith.jhtml