JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will appointed AIDS ambassador

kwill02

• Members
I thought this was interesting cuz I really like to see Will doing stuff for those in need.

Will Smith, the US actor

September 16, 2004, 16:43

Will Smith, the US actor and rapper, is set to become the global ambassador for the Nelson Mandela 46664 Aids fund raising campaign. Smith who was accompanied by his wife and actress Jada Pinkett-Smith and their children met with Madiba in Johannesburg today.

Smith is in the country to promote his latest film I, Robot, a science-fiction thriller. The Hollywood mega star, whose movies are box office hits, is bracing for a new role. One that could be more challenging than any served up by Hollywood script writers.

Mandela announced at the meeting that Smith will be a global ambassador for his Aids fund raising campaign. Preparing for his new starring role, Smith is open to all possibilities, saying he will take his cue from Mandela. Mandela launched his global "46664" campaign last October to raise awareness and funds for people with the deadly disease. Some of the biggest names in international entertainment circles have backed it.

The 86-year-old former president proved once again that he has lost none of his magic. Mandela also met Abdul Kalam, the visiting Indian president, who made a R1 million donation to the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund. - Additional reporting Sapa

• Members
i think that's great for Will. He's been saying he wants to do some good in the world and knows he's not here on earth just to be an actor. Only a few Hollywood stars really reach out to humanitarian issues. Will seems to genuinely care about people so it's not a front. I could only name Angelina Jolie as the other ambassador (she's 4 the U.N.)

Thanx 4 this feel-good newz. U know how Will says music, movies, and entertainment are a stepping stool 4 his greater calling in life? This is what he means. Don't get me wrong, i live 4 his music, but using his talent, skillz, and power as an entertainter 2 step beyond entertainment 2 help make a differerence in peoples lives...that's what it's all about. That what he means when he say "Born To Reign."

wow, Will Smith is wonderful!!!
what a beautiful heart has Will!!!
I love him very much!!

It's always nice when someone gives a smile to people who don't have a smile to give, and who better than Will Smith to make you feel in peace when you are in...
well, u know.

peace. Edited by catcata

• Members
i always knew will was true to type. out of all the celebritites that have visited south africa, mandiba considered it fit for will to be his aids charity project ambassador. not even charlize theron who is a native of that country.

this will now silence those never-ending critics who say will doesn't give back or isn't into charity. aids is a global pandemic, so will isn't just domestic now, he's global. and what about that parley he had with the sec. general of the UN? what was it all aBout somebody?

When FP said that, AIDS waz kinda views as a temporary joke that nobody took seriously or knew much about. A few years later people finally started taking is seriously. Definitly one of the Hip-Hop's most shocking moment on wax.

Thanx 4 the pix!!