JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MARQUES HOUSTON INTERVIEWS

This is for Brakes and anyone else that cares....I'm looking forward to his next album. I hope it's better than his last. I felt that his last was his 1st average album.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Lovers & Friends) Marques Houston: Marriage Is A Scary Topic For Men
VIBE.COM By: Vibe Posted 6-28-2010 2:00 pm

Lovers & Friends is VIBE's weekly celebrity relationship blog. Check back every Monday for a new installment.

I’ve definitely thought about marriage. It’s always been something that I wanted to do. My mother passed away but I grew up in a real stable home with both my parents. I watched them have a happy marriage so I’ve always wanted to be married and do things the right way and have children once I was married. I don’t believe in having a child out of wedlock. I’ve always wanted to do everything right, by the moral standards that I was brought up with.

I feel like [being faithful] is a choice. I’ve never been a cheater. I’ve had girlfriends my whole life, I’ve been dating since I was a young boy. I’ve always felt like it's never been necessary to cheat. I’m definitely what you call a one woman man and I believe in that. I believe if you ever feel like you have to cheat you shouldn’t be in a committed relationship. If you wanna do your thing and you wanna go out and have different women and you wanna do your thing I don’t agree with that either but if you do, don’t commit yourself to one person if you’re not ready to be fully committed and ready to take on the responsibility of a relationship because I feel like there’s a lot of responsibility coming with having a relationship. I don’t believe that relationships should be taken so lightly as I see them being taken nowadays. Even if you're in a relationship, just a committed relationship, you should treat it like a marriage.

[Marriage] is just a scary topic for a man to feel like he’s being tied down. Some men if you meet the right woman, the world is so corrupt nowadays you have all this stuff on the Internet, you have all this on TV, there’s no moral driven anything on TV. Everything is cheating. You got cheating wives. You got these shows that promote all this cheating and being promiscuous and you don’t see any Cosby Show's anymore where you see a couple that are together and they have children and they have a great family and a strong foundation so people don’t believe in that anymore. People feel like it’s okay to just cheat and do their thing, even women now. It’s not even on the men anymore. Now you talk to these women and they’re like I wanna do my thing and I wan to do this and I don’t need to be tied down so now its both sides and I just feel like it’s kinda sad but it all comes with raising as well.

If you raised around all that cheating, you'll naturally do the same thing but I think if you really read the Bible too. In the Bible it shows the family structure and it shows being with one person so I think people just gotta be on their game. I think fellas just get scared of that but women get scared of it too. But I feel like if you have the right person that makes you happy there’s no reason to step out.

There’s a lot of single Black women just as well as there’s a lot of single White women and Hispanic women and Asian women. I’ve been around women my whole life. I meet so many women on a day to day basis and a lot of these women’s stories are so different yet so the same. I’ve been brought up with the morals not to cheat, always respect women so I have a lot of respect for women and what they go through. It's hard to be a woman, especially nowadays with the world being so dominated by men. It’s hard to be a strong woman out there and do your thing. Even women in the industry to not have to feel like they have to sell themselves short to even get somewhere in life. I try to talk to young women all the time and tell them never sell yourself out. Always have respect for yourself because the more respect you have for yourself the more respect anyone will have for you. —As Told To Clover Hope

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marques Houston Talks Near-Death Experience With Brandy, Offers Halle Berry Dating Advice
VIBE.COM By: GangStarr Girl Posted 5-28-2010 10:15 am

VIBE speaks with the former frontman of IMx about anything but his upcoming album, Mattress Music

Interview by: Starrene Rhett

VIBE: Who is your industry best friend?
Marques Houston: Omarion is too obvious because he’s my brother. But the closest person in the industry to me who is like a big brother is Tyrese. He gives me a lot of good advice. We both do the same things. We’re both from the same background. He comes from Watts. I’m from South Central. He also started as a musician turned actor, the same way I did and I like that fact that he’s able to do both and be successful at it. Being around him, I’m able to soak up a lot of knowledge from him as far as movies go.

While we're talking Hollywood, why can’t Halle Berry keep a man?
Halle Berry can’t keep a man because she’s probably very controlling and aggressive, and men don’t like that. I know from a lot of women friends that I have who are Leos. They don’t really have men because they’re really really aggressive and controlling and men don’t like that. I don’t know Halle Berry personally but I’m guessing that she’s one of those women that likes to be in control of the relationship and most men don’t like that.

What’s your perfect ice cream sundae?
Vanilla mixed with strawberry swirl sauce on top and some fresh skrawberrys on top. SKRAWBERRIES! Know what I mean? [laughs]

"He actually came out with a gun and had he not seen it was us, [brandy and I] probably would have gotten shot!"

What’s the sneakiest thing you’ve ever done?
This is actually a really weird story. Brandy Norwood and I always bring this up whenever we see each other—we say we almost died together. It was our old office building and there was a guy who had a back office. He was working real late one night and we scared him. We kept sneaking around to the window and tapping on the back and he actually came out with a gun and had he not seen it was us, we probably would have gotten shot! But that’s one of the sneakiest or most mischievous things I’ve done when I was young.

What personality traits did you have in common with Roger?
None. Absolutely zero. Roger was the complete opposite of me. I used to really tell people that that was my twin brother. I was so different from him because Roger was a nerdy guy who couldn’t get girls and he was goofy. I was the complete opposite. I was the ladies man in school. I always had friends, people looked up to me. When I was seven, my two best friends were 12, they looked up to me, I was the leader so it was completely opposite. Roger was totally a character.

Is the rumor that you took Beyonce’s virginity true?
No, that’s not true.

Who was the craziest girl you’ve ever dated?
I’m not going to say her name, but one time I was coming in from out of town and she just showed up to pick me up, unannounced. She would do things like, one time I had 100 missed calls in a row from her. One time I was at the movies and I came home and I had all these crazy messages on my answering machine like, “Why didn’t you call me back?" and then four messages later she’s apologizing. It was a crazy experience. But you’re young, you date, you live and you learn.

Were you ever forced to take a form of dance that you were embarrassed about? No Spectacular.
No. I didn’t grow up on dance class. I was always natural. I’ve been in the industry since I was eight and I’ve always had a choreographer since then. But I never really took ballet or anything like that.

"I was at the movies and came home and had these crazy messages on my answering machine like, 'Why didn’t you call me back?' Four messages later, she’s apologizing. It was a crazy experience."

What are some talents of yours other than singing and dancing?
I’m a barber, a professional barber. I don’t have a license or anything but I cut hair. I cut my own hair. And I can also draw and paint.

What do you do outside of music for fun?
I like to collect. I’m a tech guy so I like to have all the latest TV and Blu-Ray players and stuff like that. I just collect anything. I started collecting baseball cards and basketball cards when I was younger. I have a CD collection that turned into a DVD collection and I have a Jordan shoe collection. And I don’t drink but I have a wine collection. I just started a sweatshirt collection. Every city that I’m in I buy a sweatshirt. It’s just something that I do. I also love going to the movies and spending time with my friends. I love to bowl. I’m a good bowler too and I love to play basketball.

Does it annoy you when people still call you Batman?
I haven’t been called Batman in so long but the other day, I was in Washington D.C. and this girl called me Batman. She was like, “Come here Batman,” and it threw me for a loop. I was like, “Why did you just call me Batman?” [laughs]. That was strange.