JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jay-Z Talking Slick About LL Cool J?

bigted

IS JAY-Z TALKING SLICK ABOUT LL COOL J?

Jay-Z had this to say about his longevity in the game in his cover story in Rolling Stone Mag.

He said, "One of the reasons I wanted to make Blueprint 3 was because of the challenge. We've seen people like LL Cool J have longevity, and we respect the heritage of what he's done, but it's not like, right now, he's competing on the same level as Lil Wayne. So for me to still be able to compete at that level at my age, that's rarefied air. It's never been done."

He added, "I think the problem with people, as they start to mature, they say, 'Rap is a young man's game,' and they keep trying to make young songs. But you don't know the slang - it changes every day. You can visit the topic, but these young kids live it every day, and you're just visiting. So you're trying to be something you're not, and the audience doesn't buy into that. And people wonder why. 'I made a great Southern bounce song!' You're from New York, and you're 70! Why are you bouncing?"

IS THIS A DISS? If it is, I think Jay may need a reminder...

Perhaps he was talking about LL's last album sales compared to the likes of Lil Wayne when he was talking about level, because I dont think that Jay is on the same level of LL when compared about who is a better Mc..

"Exit 13" might not have sold one million copies in it's first week like Lil' Wayne's album did but it's more quality music than Lil' Wayne's career put together, LL don't have to worry about competing with Lil' Wayne or even Jay-Z for that matter

I don't take it as a diss. Since I have to read what he said and not HEAR what he said, it's hard to take it in the right context. Jay-Z has no room to attempt to diss LL so I hope that wasn't his intention. I picked up a used copy of Blueprint 3 the other week and I think it's awful. I probably only like 3 songs off the album. And I wanted this album to be good. WHY CALL IT BLUEPRINT 3 WHEN IT'S NOTHING LIKE THE ORIGINAL (that goes the same for Blueprint 2). When it comes to longevity, LL Cool J is the poster boy. Why he has evolved over his career, he's just as dope today as he ever was. If Jay-Z was dissing LL, all I can say is "Eat 'em up, L."

I haven't liked most of Jay-Z' stuff since the late '90s, if you compare him to most of today's radio rappers he looks great but when you start comparing him to the great ones like LL Cool J and Fresh Prince he comes off inconsistant

Nah that's not true imo, he's a great Rapper and his stuff might be diffrent these days but I wouldn't call it bad, it's very avantgarde but it's good stuff at the end of the day even tho I also prefere Blueprint 1 sound.

Edited by Turntable

Jay-Z himself did it. I mean, he called them sequels when the production, sound, and overall vibe was no where near the level of the original. I hate when artists do "sequel" albums...unless they are released shortly after and continue what the 1st one started. Otherwise, it's just stupid. And I'm with Ted. When it comes to what's popular, Jay-Z is usually the best (which isn't the biggest compliment...but not a diss either). But when it comes to true school emcees like LL Cool J and Common Sense, Jay-Z is much further down the food chain.