JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives

MadBoy

• Members

I've been waiting for this album for a long time and I think it was worth it. The album is GREAT. The best I heard since many months. Each song is at least good, and some of them are AMAZING!!! You gotta check it.

The best songs for me:

Friends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMpeNdlk84c

Strong Will Sontinue

As We Enter

Patience

Nah Mean

Especially I love "Strong Will Continue" and "Friends".

Nas' stuff is always on another level, he's one of the last true artists left from the golden era of hip hop, and Damien Marley is one of the reggae greats, so I'm getting the album over this weekend

I listened 2 this the day it came out and thought it was okay. I plan on getting it but I don't have a huge urgency to get it soon. When I went back to it, I liked some of that songs alot more than their 1st listen. When I find it at a cheap price, I"ll be getting it at some point.

I found this review on Amazon.com, btw it shocked me that Lil' Wayne finally wrote one verse without a curse:

Editorial Reviews
About the Artist
What we're about to do right now is go back. Back to a time when rap's greatest hits were created in basement soundrooms, not corporate boardrooms. When dancehall and hip-hop music was all about moving the crowd not "moving units." Before Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley and Nasty Nasir Jones first began treading the long and winding "Road to Zion." The artists' first collaboration went so well that they decided to do a full album together, and that album is Distant Relatives.
Unlike all previous collaborations between Jamaican and American artists, Distant Relatives is neither a remix nor a featured guest spot on a single track. The recording is a fully collaborative effort filling an entire album, opening new avenues of musical expression. Distant Relatives traces the direct line from dancehall reggae's breakthrough moment forty years ago to the rise of hip-hop several years later--from Run D.M.C. and Yellowman's groundbreaking collaboration "Roots Rap Reggae" through Supercat introducing Biggie Smalls to the world on the "Dolly My Baby" remix and Shabba Ranks and KRS-One joining forces on "The Jam." That line continues right up through Damian Marley and Nas' double-Grammy-winning "Road To Zion."

Distant Relatives is an album created by two serious artists to explore and celebrate the correlations and deep-rooted connections between reggae and hip-hop, tracing both sounds back to the African motherland that is both the cradle of humanity and the wellspring of mankind's music.

And who better to fulfill this mission? The youngest son of the legendary Bob Marley, Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley garnered his own place in music history when he became the first ever reggae artist to win a Grammy Award outside of the Reggae category, taking home an award for Best Urban/Alternative performance for his smash 2005 single "Welcome To Jamrock." The acclaimed breakthrough album of the same name also won a Grammy Award for Best Reggae Album.

A hip-hop icon since his immortal guest verse on Main Source's 1991 "Live At The Barbeque," Nas burst out of the Queensbridge housing projects, a hotbed of rap artistry since the early '80s. The son of jazz trumpeter Olu Dara, Nas has since gone on to sell over 20 million albums worldwide over the span of his legendary career, and has acted as an ambassador for hip-hop culture throughout the globe.

"When we first started working, I was thinking about what direction we should go in," Nas explained during a recent discussion at the Grammy Museum. "Cause it's all kinda like the same--reggae, rap. But it went to its own thing... We had a few concepts. All basically around empowerment in a way, cause if we're talking about Distant Relatives we're talking about the human family."

The sound of Distant Relatives features live musicians as well as studio production by Damian Marley and his elder brother Stephen Marley, a distinguished award-winning artist and producer in his own right. Featured artists on the album connect other diasporic dots-- New Orleans' own Lil Wayne as well as the critically acclaimed Somali-born, Canadian-raised MC K'NAAN.

"I didn't want it to sound like something that would be typical of me, neither typical of Nas," said Damian Marley, who produced much of the album. "But something where you can still see how there's a middle ground in the music... where you can still hear something that is reminiscent of either of us... It's been really fun. Cause we've been going in the booth together. Especially as a lyricist, it's really like iron sharpen iron. You can't slack off right now. It's a great learning experience for me too." And that experience extends to young listeners who will surely be enlightened and educated about the shared cultural legacy of Africa, America, and the Caribbean.

"The whole process is gonna be fun," Nas adds. "I think we can have fun helping people. When I think about things we wanna do with this album, it's just limitless."

Product Description
International Hip Hop superstar Nas and Grammy-winning artist Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley join creative forces to release this highly anticipated and exciting 2010 collaboration. This is an album created by the two serious artists to explore and celebrate the correlations and deep-rooted connections between reggae and Hip Hop, tracing both sounds back to the African motherland that is both the cradle of humanity and the wellspring of mankind's music. The project features the signature instrumentation and musicianship of Marley with the hard-hitting beats and lyrics of Nas. Distant Relatives traces the direct line from Dancehall Reggae's breakthrough moment 40 years ago to the rise of Hip Hop several years later.

Edited by bigted

Nas and Damian Marley's Distant Relatives docked at No. 5 with 56,000 units in its first week.

I was one of those 56,000 that got it in the first week, with all the top reviews hopefully the word spreads so it could go platinum 'cause it's truely a work of art

It wont reach platinum since most kids are saving their money to buy Drake and Eminems Albums coming out this month.. I was having a discussion with my friend and people dont really care about music anymore, people want to buy and listen whats hot right now, regardless of what it is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82nvOJIN438

I wanted kill him when I saw what his fave song right now was..

Edited by VIsqo

Turn, cmon man.. I sincerely prefer to listen to Jaden rapping there, even K. Smith rapping than Lil Wayne in this song.. I bet u do too..