JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Smith introduces Tatyana Ali on TOTP - Boy You Knock Me Out

Ale

I was thinking the same thing! I'm sure there was a time when miming was banned on TOTP. I hate the fact that singers mime! Takes away the whole purpose of seeing a live performance! What took the biscuit is when I say Richard Blackwood mime on TOTP! Now that was a new low!!

Thanx for posting this. Kiss The Sky was such a good album. This makes me miss R-N-B when it was simple and charming. I'm sick of the dance beats and garbage rap cameos. Is Top of The Pops like Soul Train where 95% of the artists are forced to lipsync? I don't recall Tatyana performing on TV much during this time so it was nice 2 see this even if it's lipsyncing.

Is Top of The Pops like Soul Train where 95% of the artists are forced to lipsync?

It doesn't come on anymore but they went through different phases! At one point it was compulsory for acts to sing live but then that changed to miming being allowed

Soul Train and American Band Stand were the same way. Almost everything was lipsynced and not hidden. So if the artist didn't dance, there was pretty much nothing very entertaining about the performance. ha ha. The only time I remember seeing an artist truly perform live was in 1995 when they let MC Hammer perform 4 songs on the show, all fully live.