JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Eminem - I'm Not Afraid

When it came out I ripped it on the What are you listening to topic.. I still dont like him on the hook, and the beats are not the best, but its been growing on me ever since..

I did like it from the 1st listen even tho' he's using a slightly higher pitch voice (it's better than what he's used in the past tho'). I do like the production and I especially love the message. I'm not crazy about how some of the lyrics deliver that message but this is one of the best songs he's done since 2003. It's easily better than any other rap on the radio.

Yeah this probably one of his better songs since he released "Lose Yourself", it might be one of the better singles out on the radio right now as well, I'm not listening to the radio really but this song and the Nas/Damien Marley Feat. Lil' Wayne & Joss Stone "My Generation" are really the only good recent singles from popular rappers, and like I said in the "What Are You Listening To?" Thread if he does more songs like this on his album I'll give it a chance

Edited by bigted

I love the fact Em has listened to what the fans have been saying for years in this song! Check the second verse:

And to the fans, I'll never let you down again, I'm back
I promise to never go back on that promise, in fact
Let's be honest, that last Relapse CD was "ehhhh"
Perhaps I ran them accents into the ground
Relax, I ain't going back to that now

Makes this 'Recovery' CD sound even more promising!

Yeah it's nice to see that he recognises how fans been saying he's been putting out weak music, if more of these weak pop rappers listened to what the fans been saying the rap game would be in a better place...

The cool thing is that Eminem is a strong influence on the mainstream side of Rap and Hip-Hop. If he's making better music, those who can't make the attempt will fall off even quicker.

The cool thing is that Eminem is a strong influence on the mainstream side of Rap and Hip-Hop. If he's making better music, those who can't make the attempt will fall off even quicker.

I agree with that. If Eminem can set the tone for rap again by utilizing this single, maybe there is some hope as rappers will want to conform to Eminem just like how Auto-tune has been the latest "trend". I really like the new single and hopefully his album will be good. I'm not crazy about Eminem, he's got skills but I just dont like his high-pitch voice and the content of the songs. This is easily the best song since "Lose Yourself" or maybe even "Toy Soldiers" or "When I'm Gone". There's only so many times you can rap about your addictions, your horrible pastlife, your on and off again wife Kim and your mom. Crap gets old real quick and look, Em is nearing 40 now, like Jay-Z said a few months ago, you cant rap and relate to 15 year olds, the music needs more maturity and I feel "Not Afraid" is a great example of the possible maturity we're about to see.

As much as I hate to admit it, it's a very decent song. Probably his best since 'Lose Yourself'. I like it.

Like Visqo says, I still can't say he's back. 'Relapse' was another disappointing album from Em for me, so we'll see.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/52862/week-ending-may-9-2010-starting-the-recovery-process/

"Not Afraid" sold 379,000 copies in its first week. That's the biggest weekly sales tally so far this year.

Read the article, its really interesting.