JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

ID4 2...and 3?

Radewart

http://www.collider.com/2010/03/29/soon-we-may-be-celebrating-independence-day-twice-sequels-to-the-1996-will-smith-film-in-the-works/

"IESB is reporting that 20th Century Fox has set the wheels in motion to not only make Independence Day 2 but also an Independence Day 3, both starring Will Smith at Captain Steven Hiller.

According to their tipster, the studio has locked up the superstar to shoot both films back to back after whichever film he chooses to do next, be it Men in Black 3 or The City That Sailed. The writer and director of the original Independence Day, Roland Emmerich, will return too. Last year, he told Latino Review that the main hold up was Will Smith’s huge salary. Well, now thanks to James Cameron and his little film called Avatar, it seems the studio has decided to pay Will his asking price of over $20 million.

Emmerich and his former producing partner Dean Devlin had an idea for a sequel to the 1996 mega blockbuster a while ago, but the duo went their separate ways after 2000s’ The Patriot. Now, according to the IESB source, Fox wants the film to shoot as early as next year, after Emmerich finishes his Shakespeare movie, Anonymous.

The big question for fans - and even more so for 20th Century Fox - is are audiences clamoring for a sequel to a 14 year old movie where, at the end, the planet was basically shot to hell? I mean - obviously the aliens could come back for revenge, but considering basically every single major city has been destroyed, where exactly could the story go? Would we go to their planet and wreak similar havoc?"

Edited by Radewart

I don't see it happening to be honest. 'Independence Day' is the kind of movie that doesn't need a sequel. Will doesn't need it either, and Emmerich would only prove that he's obsessed with the end of the world one more time. 2 more films? Come on. It's ridiculous.

This has always been one of Hollywood's dumbest ideas. There are certain movies that can't have sequels. ID4 is one of them. FP himself said there was "zero chance" that he would take part in a sequel. They have attempted doing a sequel at least 2 times and FP has never jumped on board and even the idiots who said there writing it ended up saying they couldn't come with with an appropriate script. Case closed.

I agree with what everyone else is saying, a sequel to ID4 would be terrible. Some movie should just be stand alone movies. Will should do MIB 3 with Tommy Lee Jones back in some capacity, then hopefully Denzel is done with his stint on Broadway, and the two can make "Uptown Saturday Night". Also, Will should just produce "City that Sailed" with Willow as the daughter if need be. I also would love to see Will make the long rumored "Empire" with Michael Mann, but I'm afraid that's dead.

I also would love to see Will make the long rumored "Empire" with Michael Mann, but I'm afraid that's dead.

Hope not!

Will Smith not locked into two “Independence Day” sequels

A rep for the actor tells Gossip Cop that talk of Smith being “locked” for “Independence Day 2” and another sequel is “not true at this time.”

Source: http://www.gossipcop.com/will-smith-independence-day-sequel-sequels/

Edited by Ale

i'm sure there are still aliens left in the hundreds of wracked spaceships. human vs. alien on planet earth. there is still a lot of room. i mean, all the aliens didn't die all of a sudden right?

ok, there are better movies and projects for Will, but it would be still pretty nice to see a nice ID4 sequel.

Not sure this is a good idea! As stated above this is the type of movie that does not lend itself to a sequel. I'd much rather see Will tackle a new project. There are other movies of his that would benefit from a sequel more so than ID4

I've said this before, but it bares repeating... I'd love to see a sequel for Independence Day. I'm not sure it needs 2 sequels, but one sequel will do perfectly. It only takes a little imagination to see where a sequel could go.

Most major cities have been destroyed, world governments are in gross disarray and there are remnants of alien resistance who didn't all die with the big ships. I don't think a single movie of this scale has been made, examining the after effects of a catastrophe the scale of ID4. It would be the first of it's kind... a big disaster movie that takes the time to go back and examine what life is actually like after the disaster... what challenges the world would have to deal with and how they would deal with those challenges after an event like ID4. I could practically write the screenplay myself.

Maybe I think a little differently from everyone else, but I always wonder what life is like for the characters after the end of big disaster movies. It would seem that there would be a number of stories that could be told about human despair and hope, anguish and determination in facing events after a catastrophe like ID4.

And it still may be a little too early to bring this up, but a lot of people slammed the idea of the Karate Kid remake, and then were forced to backtrack on it once we found out that the movie will probably be good and do well. Maybe we should hold off on dismissing things outright until we get more information.

ID4 is my favorite Will Smith movie so it'd be nice to see a sequel but I don't want the greatness to be ruined

MaxFly, you brought up some really good ideas. I just don't think they are worth being made into a motion picture. Especially after this long. That idea sounds awesome for another movie (not and ID4 sequel)...or an animated movie or a book. 14 years later things would be pretty much back to normal. And it can't take place in 1996. That would make no sense.

• Members

There was always Ideas for a second movie. In the old Idea is Will "General Steven Hiller" and the spaceprogramm are make jumps after the attack with that technologies from the aliens.

Its start a massive Attack from other motherships from that alien, with many fights in space... thats the old idea.

Lets see what happens. MIB3 are First!