Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will to decide between MIB3 and The City That Sailed films

BDuncan

• Members

Posted: Tue., Mar. 23, 2010, 8:48pm PT

Which way will he go?

Smith to choose between 'Men' and 'City'

By Pamela Mcclintock, Tatiana Siegel.

It's down to two choices: Sony's 'Men in Black III' or 20th Century Fox's fantasy-adventure 'The City That Sailed'. Each project has particular

appeal for the actor. Smith's production company Overbrook Films developed City that Sailed and brought it to Fox, which embraced the

family property. Penned by Andrew Niccol, City that Sailed revolves around a New York street magician who's unhappily separated from his

young daughter. The girl, who moves to London, finds magic candles that make her wishes comes true, with unintended consequences:

The island of Manhattan separates from the continent and floats toward England, bringing her dad ever closer. There's no director yet on the project.

The Men in Black franchise, has been a box office goldmine for Smith and Sony. First film, released in 1997, grossed $587.8 million worldwide.

The 2002 sequel earned $441.8 million globally. It's been a while since Smith graced the bigscreen. His last film, Sony's drama Seven Pounds,

was released in December 2008. Instead, he's been busy producing via Overbrook, including Sony's redo The Karate Kid, starring Smith's son,

Jaden. Neither Fox nor Sony would comment. Insiders, however, offered this nugget: One of the two will be Smith's next film.

I'd pick 'Men In Black 3'. He needs to make a comeback in Hollywood and that's the best project to do it, apart from 'Bad Boys 3'. 'City' can wait IMO.

Let's just hope it's better than the second part.

Thanks for sharing BDuncan. Here is the source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118016832.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Edited by Ale

It's hard 2 say without knowing the script and the casting. I'd be more excited to see another MIB movie though. FP desperately needs 2 do something that is in his zone and takes him back to what made people fall in love with him. Also, if they do a proper soundtrack, it could be the stepping stone to him getting a back into music. I'm not into his movies that much (until like the week they are coming out). Without any music at the moment, I'm left kinda uninterested in my favorite emcee of all time. It's a sucky place 2 be.

I'm with AJ here, if there's a proper soundtrack MIB3 could be Will's big return to rap, it could be just like '97 again

Without any music at the moment, I'm left kinda uninterested in my favorite emcee of all time. It's a sucky place 2 be.

Absolutely! I couldn't have said this any better myself. It also partially explains why this forum has been going through a bit of a dry spell. How could he not record anymore? I can't wait for Jeff to drop some new music. We use to always think that if Will had time off, he "could be" or "maybe" is working on new music. He's been quiet for almost a year and a half now so I wonder whats going on. You gotta give the fans something to chew on for awhile, L+F ran its course but I've been ready for new material. I'm so sick of Will as a "director's tool" and not using the mic as a "tool" to be himself.

You know we're just about on the 5 year anniversary since "Lost & Found", when I felt the excitement and energy of that album for the first time I didn't picture that he'd be putting down the mic anytime soon, it's just so sad....

FP was all ready to record a new album untill Jaden stopped him. Jaden told FP that if he made anymore music it would be embarassing

Maybe Jaden was just going through a phase at the time. A phase where he's embarassed to see his dad do something that is considerd hip and cool lol

Oh great, the old discussion :bump2: Will is not rapping because he feels like acting more, he's been rapping for almost twenty years so I guess we cant realy complain. I'd like to see another MIB, but Will is more than MIB these days and he shouldn't limit himself by doing MIB sequels.

Edited by Turntable

At the beginning I was completely against a MIB sequel, because the second one messed up a classic. But now, as BB3 is definately no option...i like the idea, because I want to see classic Will Smith comedy again. Hopefully Tommy Lee Jones is on board, Josh Brolin is also a good choice. "Borat" as an alien could be fun. Maybe he does 1-2 songs for the soundtrack.

Afterwards he can do the City that Sailed...On the first look it seems to be a typical Johnny Depp movie with Tim Burton as a director. Will was considered for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, so it could be interesting to see him in a Fantasy movie.

MIB3 Summer 2011

The City that Sailed or the Last Pharaoh December 2011

Edited by Jin