JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Smith Wants to Become US President

Ale

This is probably just me but over these last few years Will seems really different to what he used to be. I can't quite put my finger on it but i think there's something different

For some odd reason i think of there being two Will Smith's. The Will Smith before Pursuit Of Happyness and the Will Smith after Pursuit Of Happyness

I kinda agree with this. To me it seems like he's doing (and to a degree saying) certain things just because he can, and not because they're necessarily good ideas. I'm def. still a fan but a lot of times it sounds like he's starting to believe his hype.

• Members

I guess it's pure PR, during this Will-less times. And I rather like to read about Wills imaginative political intentions, than about single details of his love life and public speculations about that. This political interest sounds just more smart. But who'll doubt, that Will is smart enough to know, that he could achieve more by making movies and, of course, music, than quarrel with dumb people.

I really don't have much to say about Will's aspirations about being President. I think that this is simply a phase. He's become so enamored of the current President that he's in this haze that I'm sure he will snap out of as soon as he starts production of his next movie.

he clearly doesn't realize that you don't change anything in Politics..you don't leave a great imprint on society..all you do is become good at being a politician.

Don't know about this.... Who the President is and what his ideology is is paramount in the direction the US heads. Had we had a President who was more sensible in 2002 and 2003, the US almost certainly wouldn't have wasted billions of dollars on regime change in Iraq. That's money that wouldn't have been added to this huge deficit we currently have, and some of which could have gone to reinvesting in education, infrastructure and health care in this country. I challenge anyone to tell someone who's lost a loved in Iraq that politics and politicians don't leave a great impact on society.

Government has it's benefits... Millions of Americans have health care today who wouldn't have it otherwise had politicians not required big employers to offer their workers insurance at discount rates. The big employers would not have done it otherwise. Millions of Americans have homes because politicians passed laws to offer banks incentives to give people cheaper loans so that they can afford mortgages. The banks would not have done it otherwise. Millions of Americans have safer working conditions today because politicians passed laws that required standard safety measures and precautions to be in place. Businesses have fought regulation at every turn for centuries.

A politician issued the Emancipation Proclamation and freed a generation of slaves, risking the fracturing of the US and the dissolution of the Union. A politician of a different ideology would have almost certainly delayed such progress. That politician ended up paying the ultimate price for his ideology as did thousands of Americans. A generation of Africans Americans have the opportunity to go to good schools, and good colleges and find good jobs without much fear of discrimination due primarily to the Civil Rights Movement of the 60s, but also due to politicians who, as a result of the Movement, put laws in place to outlaw discrimination and end Jim Crow.

I understand why people have become increasingly disillusioned with politicians. It often seems that change takes place far too slowly and that many of them sell out to special interests. But I'd made the point that even when they do their jobs poorly, they affect millions of Americans and people all around the world who desperately need them to do their jobs well. Tell those affected by the decisions of Woodrow Wilson, FDR, Harry Truman and George W. Bush that those men didn't leave a sizeable impact on society. Even politicians of lesser stature like Ted Kennedy and Joseph McCarthy have had great impacts. It all depends on how seriously you take the duty you've been entrusted with and what you do with it.

I really think Will could do a bigger impact on society in continuing doing music and movies rather than going into the political world, it's his calling in life to impact others through his incredible entertainment, I'm 100% with Tim, Jim, and Radewart, but I do think though that if Will put in the energy and heart that he's done throughout his career that he'd do a more legit job in politics than a lot of them who don't stand for anything

Edited by bigted

I just dont think he is educated enough. I might be wrong tho.

I don't think his education is the problem, Will got accepted for MIT. George W. Bush made it to the president of the USA and he was a C-Level student and one of the worst presidents of all-time.

I respect his opinion to make a break and spend time with his family, but somehow he seems to have a mid-life crisis (which is someting complete normal in the 40s) and just staying home and not working is not a good idea. In my opinion he is one of the greatest and most successful entertainers of the last 25 years. From his point of view, what else is too prove? The next step just can be politics.

But in my opinion, it doesn't make sense to set the goal to become the next Reagan (First Actor turned President) or Obama (First Black President) or a combination of both. If he wants to do something different, it should be groundbreaking and have a worldwide effect and aim for the number one spot, not no.2! And if not, its still ok...because i truely think when it is all said and done in hollywood, he will be in the same league as Clint Eastwood.

I cant wait to will make a comeback in 2011, hopefully with a summer blockbuster (BB3) and a serious movie right before christmas.

Edited by Jin

Well as we see now like Tim mentioned there's only so much a president could do because if he/she wants to propose a bill to improve the country he/she has to get enough people in congress/senate to vote it in and really that's where the problem lies, there's too much propoganda and bs that keeps things from getting done. I mean look right now it doesn't matter how many great ideas Barack Obama has, realistically they're not gonna get done since there's too many other shady politicians out there that'll stop him, that's why America's still in a deep hole.

• 4 months later...

Maybe Will Smith,will do.What Obama didn't do!

Well as we see now like Tim mentioned there's only so much a president could do because if he/she wants to propose a bill to improve the country he/she has to get enough people in congress/senate to vote it in and really that's where the problem lies, there's too much propoganda and bs that keeps things from getting done. I mean look right now it doesn't matter how many great ideas Barack Obama has, realistically they're not gonna get done since there's too many other shady politicians out there that'll stop him, that's why America's still in a deep hole.

The senat, or something like the senat, is very important tho, even tho it might make a lot of things difficult from time to time.