JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MICHAEL JACKSON: THIS IS IT

JumpinJack AJ

It comes out tomorrow!!! Who is hyped?!?! I know I am. Post your reviews here after you've seen it. Just to get things started, here's an article AOL posted...

Michael Jackson Proves He's Still King With 'This Is It'

October 23, 2009

|

By: Thomas DiChiaraComments (187) PRINT EMAIL MORE There's a reason Michael Jackson is, was and forever will be known as the King of Pop.

And, judging by early reactions to a sneak peek at Jackson's eagerly anticipated concert-rehearsal documentary 'This Is It,' that reason will be on full, moon-walking display when the film hits theaters across the globe for a limited two-week run on Oct. 28.

This week, critics were treated to 12 minutes of footage from the top-secret doc that shows MJ rigorously preparing for a comeback concert series entitled 'This Is It,' which was to have kicked off at London's O2 Arena a mere two weeks after the pop star's death. And those 12 minutes were all it took to get critics psyched out of their minds.

According to The New York Daily News, the brief glimpse "shows the King of Pop in regal form, mapping out dance moves while confidently singing his classic songs," and depicts two song-and-dance numbers that "firmly establish Jackson as a performer still in control of his talents in the last days of his life."

The numbers depicted are the 1983 ballad 'Human Nature,' in which Jackson employs, in the words of the Daily News, "his falsetto vocal with the sweet grace of his youth," and an up-tempo rendition of 1987's 'The Way You Make Me Feel,' a flashy number set against a backdrop of the New York City skyline and featuring Jackson utilizing such iconic MJ moves as the finger-snap and his patented twirl.

Ticket presales for 'This Is It' have dominated online retailers such as Fandango and Moviefone for weeks now -- already more than recouping Sony the $60 million it paid for rights to the film. With insiders predicting that the film could gross $250 million worldwide in its first five days, there's not doubt 'This Is It' will be big. The only question is: How big?

Call us crazy, but we're going to go with ... gargantuan.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing about the movie to spoil. It was great. It's 90% footage of performances. MJ was in his prime in this footage and it's unfortunate that no one was aware...especially the millions of fans who loved him again after the news of his passing. His dancing was lightning sharp. His voice was as amazing as ever. To see him instruct and interact with this people was amazing. He handled everything so simply and humbly, yet comes off as a total genious. As he speaks, you can see that his is a master at what he does and that he has a vision for every moment of the show. Because it is compiled of rehearsal footage, there are moments where he isn't singing at 100% or let's lines go, or doesn't quite dance at 100% but that doesn't happen too often...especially after the movie gets going. The people that are apart of the show are truely amazing. He literally was surrounded by the best of the best. His lead guitarist was stunning. The visuals created for the show were brilliant. It's very interesting how so much of the show reinvented classic MJ material that previous performances and music videos set as the standard. He truely did reinvent classic material instead of just doing the same thing he had done in the past...yet kept enough classic material the same to keep it MJ brand. To hear 30 years (plus) of material that I grew up being presented this way made it all feel new again for 2009. During alot fo the rehearsal footage, you forget that it's just a rehearsal. You are only reminded when you don't hear an audience, or notice that they aren't in costume.

If u are and MJ fan, you will love this. If not, you will probably appricate the movie for what it is.

I saw it on wednesday and i loved it. He wasnt even going for it fully and he was brilliant. I actually thought he sang human nature better than i had heard before. Its such a shame we didnt get to see the show in its full form, sometimes u had to sort of imagine what it was like, like thriller and earth song.

It would have been an incredible show and he would have proved all the haters wrong. People are saying he looked thin, but apart from that he looked happy and healthy and he should not have died.

There are a lot of people that were close to him towards the end, that say the he did not like working on This Is It. That he in fact hated it, because he did not want to do "another cirkus show". He, so they say, was done with shows, he only did it (or was more or less forced to) to pay of some of his deptrs. I wonder if that is true.

There are a lot of people that were close to him towards the end, that say the he did not like working on This Is It. That he in fact hated it, because he did not want to do "another cirkus show". He, so they say, was done with shows, he only did it (or was more or less forced to) to pay of some of his deptrs. I wonder if that is true.

He wanted to do the shows for his kids

What's your source? Every interview I've watched and article I've read said how happy MJ was to be working and on stage. Watching all of this footage speaks for itself. If he hated it, it would have shown. You could tell he was having the time of his life. You can't fake that over 3 months of video taping that he only intended for his own personal collection.