JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

My summer when it comes to concerts

sonic1988

I figured I'd talk about some shows I went to over the summer since they are popular groups.

I started with a band "Westbound Train" playing at the Knitting Factory. They were amazing, I've seen them a bunch of times. They are a local soul/ska band, definitely something to check out. It was a CD release party. A very fun show.

Next was "Green Day" at Madison Square Garden. I saw both shows, they played two days in a row. In short, they were AMAZING!! It was amazing energy from beginning to end, they played 3 hours with no break, and were amazing the entire time and didn't slow down at all. Both days were amazing, They played their old stuff (even from their first EPs and album: 1,039 and Kerplunk) as well as stuff from the new album. They had people on stage and play the guitar, bass and drums. People sang. It was a party the entire time. Definitely something any group should study to understand how to keep a crowd.

I missed seeing No Doubt's reunion tour, which sucked :(

I ended the summer with seeing Blink-182's tour. This was the low point of the summer. The show was horrible. Weezer opened for them and stole the show, which was really easy anyway. Blink wasn't tight, they forgot lyrics repeatedly and played every song too slow. The backing vocals were horrible and out of tune. To make things works Tom and Mark were fighting the entire show. example:

Tom: Man, I'm only giving you guys 70% were gonna kick it up to 100%

Mark: I've been at 100%

and another example

Tom: Were really scared because we got wasted last night and are scared that you can see through us and see that we are hung over

Mark: I'm not hung over

That's basically it. Did anyone else see some cool shows over this summer?

Been abit of a quiet summer for me. Went to see Brand New back in June but that was the last of it. Got a few lined up for the fall though.

Yeh i heard Blink 182 were never that great live, seems their comeback tour is a bit of a let down and maybe the guys still haven't got past their problems with each other. Shame 'cos the last album they released in '03 was starting to show a more mature music sound that i really dug when it dropped.

I saw 2 concerts this summer and hopefully a couple more this month.

I saw LFO which was dope. To see the genre blending group that got drug along with the boyband craze 10 years ago, it was good 2 see them do their thing out of the lime light with their own style. Their playlist was dope and they put on a great show. I've been a fan since before they got popular and they even surprised me. Summer Girls, Girl On TV, West Side Story, Every Other Time, Life Is Good were all there amoungst a handful of other album favorites. They also worked in 4 of their solo songs and made it a group effort plus a new song. The tour apparently got a pretty good responce and they plan on doing 2 more...for the mid-west and then the west coast. I'm hoping the guys deside to do more music. U could see that they were genuinely good friends and not getting 2gether make some money. The meet and greet afterward was great. 2 go on their bus and chill for a bit and talk with them was really cool. Rich, the member i've alway identified with actually remember me from Myspace since we occasionally write back and forth. I could say so much more about the show but i'm not trying to bore anyone...especially since i don't know if anyone else here actually likes them that much...ha ha. Their open acts were good Keirnan McMullan (i might be misspelling his name) was a dope acoustic artist. I loved his set so much that i bought a CD-R straight from him (he sold out of the actual CD at previous shows). Another acoustic artist who performed 1st was really good 2 tho' i forget his name (he wasn't even orginally in the line up). They had 2 reletivly well known punk/pop opening acts that i thought i would hate (out of my own prejudice) and they were actually good tho' they weren't really my taste. Dope show.

Next up was Jason Mraz. I got hooked on Jason Mraz back in 2003 thru' a friend. "Curbside Prophet" was the song that got me hooked. Jason Mraz (even tho' his studio albums are polished up) is the reason i started getting in2 acoustic music. Eric Hutchenson was the 1st opening act. I had heard of him but never his music. I instantly became a fan. His style was like Stevie Wonder meets light rock. A couple weeks later i saw that Best Buy had his album on sale for only $4.99!! The best $4.99 i ever spent on a CD probably. Next up was G. Love + The Special Sauce. I've heard of them years ago but never got in2 them. I liked the acoustic/rock/rap style. Then Jason Mraz took the stage with a full band. The energy was just amazing. There was this overwhelming vibe of simplicity and love in the air. Behind the pavillion was a hillside full of people who could hear the show but only see it on the screens. Jason left the stage, walked up thru' the audience and performed 2 songs at the top of the pavillion so that the drenched crowd could see some of the songs live. My only complaint was that 90% of the show was his new album. He has a handful of hits that he totally overlooked as well as classics he created in his acoustic live days before blowing up that just weren't included in the show.

This month i am hopefully seeing Tone Loc in Baltimore. 2 weeks after that I'll be returning to B-more to see one of my favorite groups of all time....ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT. Inner Circle will also be with them. Expect 2 hear how those concerts go.

I don't know if they are touring or if this is just a random show they are doing. They are touring alot fo the time but i don't remember hearing of them being on a big tour right now. I have 3 of their live albums and i'm hoping they do more new stuff then they typically do in shows.

Arrested Development is doing a tour??

well they got 4 shows next .. hope to catch them while they are still with Baba and doing his thing :))

i was only on B-Real and Psycho Realm , Limp Bizkit and Rahzel, Faith sfx and Eklips.. oh and Meth and Red hehe

all dope in their own way !kinda nice hip hop summer , dont u think :)