JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

DJ AM Found Dead in NYC

Angel Amor

DJ AM Found Dead In NYC; Police Sources Suspect Drug OverdoseAccess Hollywood

- 33 minutes ago

celebs:DJ AMTravis Barker

DJ AM arrives to the Sprint Champion's Celebration at Marquee in New York<br />Getty ImagesAccess Hollywood NEW YORK, New York -- Adam Goldstein, also known as DJ AM, has been found dead in New York City at the age of 36, Access Hollywood has confirmed.

Goldstein's body was found on the seventh floor of an apartment building on Lafayette Street on Friday, police sources confirm to Access.

Police sources also told Access Hollywood that Goldstein is believed to have died of a drug overdose.

Additionally, police sources told Access' affiliate WNBC that drug paraphernalia was found at the scene, including a crack pipe. Foul play is not suspected, according to police.

Friends reportedly went to check on the celebrity DJ after not hearing from him for several days, but contacted authorities when they could not get a response after knocking on his door, law enforcement officials told WNBC.

Sources told Access Hollywood, a 911 call was placed on Friday afternoon. Authorities arrived at the residence at 5:23 PM local time. Police went to the residence and broke down the door after arriving on scene, only to discover a white male in his 30s, wearing sweatpants and no shirt, dead on arrival, WNBC reported.

A rep for DJ AM released a statement to Access on Friday evening, asking for privacy for Goldstein's family.

"Adam 'DJ AM' Goldstein was found deceased this afternoon in his New York City apartment. The circumstances surrounding his death are unclear. Out of respect for his family and loved ones, please respect their privacy at this time," the statement read.

On Thursday, the celebrity DJ wrote on his Twitter page, "New york, new york. Big city of dreams, but everything in new york aint always what it seems."

Shanna Moakler, the ex-wife of Travis Barker, DJ AM's musical collaborator whom he survived a plane crash with in Columbia, South Carolina, in September 2008, posted a message of condolence on her Twitter page not long after the news broke.

"My deepest condolences for DJ AM, you were a great artist and will be severely missed. My thoughts and Prayers to his family and friends," she wrote.

Lindsay Lohan, a friend of DJ AM's, also expressed her sorrow on Friday evening.

"can't believe this.. i'm in shock. why? why? r.i.p. adam," she wrote.

Less than a week ago, the celebrity DJ threw out the first pitch at the New York Mets game in the city.

As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, just over a year ago, Goldstein survived a plane crash, alongside Barker. The two were airlifted to a burn center.

"When the plane was on the runway I took my shoes off and fell asleep. The next thing I remember is us crashing into something," he told People, just months after the incident. "I woke up to Travis screaming and the plane engulfed in flames. I remember thinking it was like 'Miami Vice,' where a car is on fire and you run before the gas tank explodes - we gotta get out of here!"

"Travis jerked upon the door and slid on his butt down a wing that was on fire. I tried to cover my face as I jumped through a fireball. As soon as I hit the ground, I remembered 'Stop, drop and roll,' so I started rolling," he continued.

After putting out his own flames, he helped Travis, burning himself further in the process.

"My eyebrows and layers of skin were burned off my face," he said. "My forehead was gouged and my arm had skin hanging off. I was in shock and didn't feel anything."

Goldstein and Barker suffered second and third degree burns, but had no other injuries from the crash, Dr. Fred Mullins, medical director of the Joseph M. still Burn Center, told the Associated Press in September 2008.

While he got back to work just a month after the crash, in March 2009, Goldstein filed suit against the plane manufacturers seeking $20 million in damages related to the crash.

Edited by Angel Amor

This gives alittle more info on what the police found and a little bit of background on DJ AM

DJ AM, who battled drug habit, found dead in NYC

By COLLEEN LONG and NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, Associated Press Writers Colleen Long And Nekesa Mumbi Moody, Associated Press Writers

16 mins ago

NEW YORK – DJ AM, the sought-after disc jockey who became a celebrity in his own right with high-profile romances and a glamorous lifestyle and survived a plane crash just months ago, was found dead in his apartment Friday. He had a history of drug problems.

Police found a crack pipe and prescription pills in the Manhattan apartment, said a law enforcement official, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing. Paramedics had to break down the door before they found him, shirtless and wearing sweatpants, in his bed around 5:20 p.m., the official said.

A friend had called police to say he was unable to get into the home in the trendy SoHo neighborhood. There was no evidence of foul play, and a medical examiner will determine the DJ's cause of death.

DJ AM, whose real name was Adam Goldstein, had talked openly about past addictions to crack cocaine, Ecstasy and other drugs, addictions so bad he once tried to commit suicide by shooting himself in the head — but the gun jammed. However, he claimed he had been drug-free for years, even swearing off cigarettes.

His spokeswoman, Jenni Weinman, said the circumstances surrounding his death were unclear. She pleaded for privacy for his family.

In October, MTV was to debut his new reality show, "Gone Too Far," in which he and concerned families staged interventions for drug abusers. In a recent interview with the AP, he talked about holding a crack pipe for the first time in years for the show and said he felt as though he had an angel on his shoulder for surviving so much turmoil.

Last year, he was badly hurt in a South Carolina plane crash that killed four people and seriously injured rock musician Travis Barker.

MTV did not have an immediate comment on whether Goldstein's show would air, but said in a statement that it "was honored to support him as he helped young people battle their own addictions."

Goldstein, 36, was a deejay for hire who performed at Hollywood's most exclusive parties and was admired by music aficionados. He also was famous for relationships with the reality TV star Nicole Richie, the daughter of singer Lionel Richie, and with actress-singer Mandy Moore.

Goldstein was critically injured last September when a Learjet crashed on takeoff in Columbia, S.C. The plane was transporting Goldstein and Barker, a drummer for the pop punk band Blink-182, after a performance; the pair had formed the duo TRVSDJ-AM.

Barker and Goldstein were burned, though Barker was injured more severely. Goldstein had to get skin graft surgery, but about a month later he was performing again, joining Jay-Z on stage.

At the time, he told People magazine he was grateful to survive.

"I can't believe I made it," he said. "I've prayed every night for the past 10 years. There's a lot more to thank God for now. ... I was saved for a reason. Maybe I'm going to help someone else. I don't question it. All I know is I'm thankful to be here."

Goldstein rose to fame several years ago as highly sought-after DJ whose beats kept the dance floor packed and clubgoers hypnotized. He was known for his deft mashups, a blend of at least two songs, and performed not only in clubs but on grand stages, performing earlier this year at the Coachella music festival in Indio, Calif.

He was to be one of the playable characters in Activision's "DJ Hero," a rhythm video game from the makers of "Guitar Hero" that uses a turntable-shaped controller. The game is set for release Oct. 27.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of DJ AM, who was a tremendous talent, a trusted partner and friend to 'DJ Hero,'" said Tim Riley, vice president of music affairs for Activision. "We hope that his work on the game will be a fitting tribute to his creative spirit and musical talent."

Representatives for Moore and Barker didn't immediately return telephone messages seeking comment on the DJ's death, but other celebrities and fans instantly shared their reactions on Twitter, where "RIP DJ AM" was the No. 1 topic Friday.

"I'm stunned. Rest in peace Adam," singer-songwriter Josh Groban posted.

"I'm sorry to loved ones," musician and video director Pete Wentz wrote. "So unexpected."

Singer John Mayer wrote: "We're supposed to lose our friends to time, at an age when we're ready to agree to the terms of having lived a long life. Not now."

Goldstein was on Twitter just three days ago. He said he had just wrapped filming of the MTV series in Connecticut and was on his way to Atlantic City, N.J., to DJ. He also posted a lyric from the hip-hop legends Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five: "New York, New York. Big city of dreams, but everything in New York ain't always what it seems."

Media and onlookers flocked to his apartment, creating a frenzied scene; flowers had been placed outside the entrance.

Fellow DJ Scott Schroer, known as Scotty Boy, said he went to the apartment after he heard the news to check for himself. He said he had known Goldstein for 10 years and had worked the turntables with him last week at the Palm in Las Vegas.

"He was the first to really be eclectic in the mashup scene," Schroer said. "He mixed rock and roll with hip-hop. He was a pioneer."

Schroer said Goldstein had been sober since he met him. When asked about the prescription pills, he said: "If you were just in a plane crash a year ago, I'm sure you would have prescription pills, too."

___

Associated Press writers Virginia Byrne in New York and Michael Cidoni in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

Rest In Peace