JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Roland Emmerich talks about 'Independence Day' 2

Ale

Q: Independence Day is one of the highest grossing films, and one of the five most often run films on basic cable. How come you never did a follow-up?

Emmerich: It's one of these movies that's very hard to do a follow-up for. Also, in the meantime, Will Smith has become probably the number one movie star, and he has a very busy schedule. I've talked with Will about it, recently. He's really up for it, but then you also need a good story and the economics have to be right. And then, there's always these other projects that you want to do, which are original. So, it just never happened.

Q: But, you talked about doing a second one?

Emmerich: Yeah. Actually, every two years, we have a weekend somewhere and yack about what it could be.

Source:

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7281:scdd-2012-interview-with-roland-emmerich&catid=52:conventions&Itemid=171

He's lying. FP NEVER did anything but say there was, and i quote, "zero chance" he would do a sequel to ID4. It would be simply ridiculous for the same characters to deal with the world being threatened by aliens...AGAIN.

U can always come up with a loop hole. That loop hole sounds like a 5 year old came up with it. So the aliens lived secretly for 13 years so that they could come back 2 take over the world so that a bunch of movie-making people could make alot of money and not care about the story or legacy of ID4?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

ID4 2 was after the first one in production.

Will was in that Script a General a few years after the first movie. The "friends" of the Aliens came now and wants to destroy the earth. Many fights in space and some others are planned.

But Emmereich and his writer split his work together, @ the Godzilla set.

• 1 month later...

Exclusive: Independence Day Sequel Stalled By Fox

The possibility of a sequel for 1996’s "Independence Day" has been long talked about. Over the years producer/writer Dean Devlin has been very coy about not saying a word regarding a film that grossed over $800 million worldwide.

Back in 2004 Devlin and Roland Emmerich began writing an outline for a script but in the end it didn’t work out.

In 2008, 20th Century Fox CEO Tom Rothman spoke with IESB.net's Robert Sanchez about the status of "ID4 2" and Rothman said;

"We would love to do it, it's really a matter of Roland, it's up to Roland. He knows that we'd love to do it. I don't think there is a script but there have been a lot of ideas, but the truth of the matter is he's been making other films. He made "Day After Tomorrow" for us, big hit movie, he's doing "2012" for Sony. But, any day that Roland wanted to do that, we would be very excited to do it because I think, yes, that story definitely can and should continue."

Really???? So it’s up to Roland Emmerich? Well lucky for me I had a chance to speak exclusively to him, while he's promoting "2012," and asked him the question every fan is dying to ask him such as what’s up with "ID4 2." Here is what he had to say about it.

LatinoReview: I heard there was a script for a sequel. What’s the real reason there is no sequel?

Emmerich: Dean Devlin and I are still set to make a sequel likely because we’ve found some sort of idea and we approached FOX and FOX has not quite figured out how to incorporate Dean’s and my deal, and Will’s (Smith) deal. Will wants to do it in some sort of a package they can live with. So it's just been in negations now since forever, and naturally FOX says “Why don’t you do it without Will Smith?” I said Will is essential for us, for this movie and actually for the audience too. And, so, it's in limbo and lately the studios are fighting. Like gross players, and Will is a gross player and is probably the only gross player right now who’s worth his gross. So we’ll see what happens. I would love to do it.

LatinoReview: But there is a story right?

Emmerich: Oh yeah! There’s a story. There’s a very really good great story, a very cool one.

LatinoReview: Can you elaborate on it?

Emmerich: No, I think Dean would like burst through this door…

So there you have it the truth from Emmerich himself. And the fact that there is a script done already is awesome to hear.

The question I'd like to know is where does FOX think they have the guts to ask, DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU CAN DO A SEQUEL WITHOUT WILL SMITH? Are you guys nuts? That’s just my opinion.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-independence-day-sequel-stalled-by-fox-8233

• 2 weeks later...