JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Baatin of SLum Village Died

Luigie

Ah, Rest In Peace. I really like Slum Village. To be honest, i can't tell which guy is which (other than Jay Dee) from the group but i have most of their albums and i like most of their stuff. They were one of the few groups still making good music.

Any word on the cause yet? RIP to him. My biggest memory of Slum Village is BET's refusal to air their video because they thought it was too intellectual for their audience.

wasn't that little brother??

I just read my post and it sounds like i meant SV sold out. I definitely meant BET. I remember when BET played lots of music from all spectrums of Hip-Hop and R-N-B. Now it's mostly that watered down music sandwiched in between filthy/stupid television programming.

I doubt many people will understand why I feel this way...but Slum Village's Fantastic Vol.2 is one of my favorite albums of all time. There were amazingly smooth beats courtesy of jay Dee and even one from Pete Rock...amazing guest appearances, from the likes of Kurrupt, Q-Tip, DJ Jazzy Jeff himself, Common, Busta Rhymes and D'Angelo...and T3 and Baatin weren't exactly the most complex with their world play or rhyme schemes, but they had a way of rapping with so much style and confidence that even their least profound rhymes would stay stuck in my head for days....and they are ridiculously quotable if you pay enough attention. The content was pretty much about womanizing and materialism, but it was so unique that even during my "conscious rap" phase I listened to it over and over again.

I think like millions of people all over the world, just discovered "Off the Wall", I think some hip hop heads should discover this album and realize it's worth....it's sad that two of the people who made it this magical aren't with us anymore.

The cause of his death is still a mystery but seems he suffered of schizophrenia

"According to the Detroit Free Press, Baatin had been diagnosed as a schizophrenic, which led him to leave the group in 2002. Rapper Elizhi stepped in for him while he sought treatment."

http://www.examiner.com/x-15398-San-Jose-HipHop-Music-Examiner~y2009m8d4-Baatin-of-Slum-Village-dead-at-35