JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Da Brakes - Clean But Still Street

• Members

Cheers. Will do.

Just out of interest, is this your second official LP? I was checking through your website, and gathered that 'Business as Usual' was your first? Just need to clarify before I do a write up.

Listening now, seems great so far :)

Keep UK reppin'!

Edited by Ataraxia

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My review of Da Brakes' album Clean But Still Street, from my website www.andycarrington.co.uk:

It's refreshing to hear a rapper spit about the everyman's lifestyle, rather than the typical obnoxious ramblings of Gangsta Rap in today's musical market. But that's what London-based rapper 'Da Brakes' (real name Ewan Alman) is developing a well-respected reputation for with his third official album release Clean But Still Street. Characterised in form by spoken word lyricism and party inspiring production, Brakes demonstrates a talent for creating positive, thought-provocative Hip-Hop in a pleasingly unforced quality.

Immediately from the opening track 'Hip-Hop Loving', Brakes boasts that he's gonna take the music back to its essence. Admittedly, I felt a little cynical at first, considering that I've been disappointed a number of times by a majority of emcees using such a line, in a bid to enhance their already tarnished statuses as music artists.

There is, however, a definite old-school feel (circa 1979–1984) to the entirety of Clean But Still Street that really makes you remember why you fell in love with the culture in the first place. The simple rhyme scheme means that the verses are easy to recite after a couple of listens; add to that some smooth Funk and R'n'B-based production, and you've got yourself an album that you wouldn't be ashamed of bumping in front of your mates.

The diversity in subject matter and innovation in the execution feels so fresh that it makes the music great fun to listen to. Even if you don't class yourself as a 'Hip-Hop lover', lines such as "You know me, my skills go deeper than a knife to slice," ('Rhymes & Music') will make the ignorant think twice about the culture's negative, aggressive stereotype.

Brakes, himself, will no doubt admit to a definite Will Smith influence here. Voicing his experience of relationship break-ups, family relations, and the process of creating music, he has managed to create a serious album that will gain respect from the true Hip-Hop heads; though fuelled with a kinetic, pop energy that will also appeal to the mainstream masses.

Definitely recommended.

© Andy Carrington, 2009.

www.andycarrington.co.uk/music

Edited by Ataraxia

I'm gonna give this a listen when I get a moment

Got the request Julie! Will be sent out tomorrow! What was the problem in downloading the album?

Cool thanx, im looking forward to getting it. Oh can i make a small request, can u sign it for me hehe.

ive just had another go and i can get it to play on my itunes now woohoo, i'll give this a listen 2night. It was just me being stupid. The penguin program confuses me.

Edited by Jazzy Julie

CD arrived yesterday.Cant stop playing Feel The Joy. The KonTempt remix is fiyah too!

Glad it got to you safe and glad your enjoying it!

Got the request Julie! Will be sent out tomorrow! What was the problem in downloading the album?
Cool thanx, im looking forward to getting it. Oh can i make a small request, can u sign it for me hehe. ive just had another go and i can get it to play on my itunes now woohoo, i'll give this a listen 2night. It was just me being stupid. The penguin program confuses me.

Done and dusted Julie!! Hopefully you should have it on Tuesday!

Has anyone else had the chance to download and listen?

I've been listening to the album all last week.. the whole album is just dope but right now i'm really feelin ''Daddy's Own Self'' i can really relate to that Awesome track and ''Bringing It Back'' and ''Hip Hop Loving just a great job on the whole album!!

Has anyone else had the chance to download and listen?

I downloaded it last week and it's been playing in the background regularly since. I've got "Bringing It Back" on repeat, such a catchy tune. The whole thing is brilliant and it puzzles me how you are still unsigned. Congrats on releasing a great album! :clap: