JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

'Summertime' written by Rakim...

Some of you may heard the rumours that Rakim wrote 'Summertime'. Well Jeff has cleared it up on Twitter!

Posted by Jeff on Twitter:

djjazzyjeff215Fyi...Rakim did not write Summertime...I love Rakim to death but that was 100% Big Willy Styles...

Lets hope this will squash the rumours! To be honest tho I can see why some people would think Rakim wrote it! Will's flow on that track was very similar to Ra's!

This is what annoys me though. WS/JJFP drop one of the dopest song of all time and someone has to come in and say someone else wrote it, like saying "FP couldnt write this, its too good". Will doesnt get enough credit for his lyrical ability. He can hang with the best.

It's good to see that Jeff squashed the rumors. I think this whole "ghostwriting" thing started, when Will started his solo career. Also the funny thing if Will drops a classic or has hit-singles out, other people want to be credited for it. Where are the ghostwriters for Born to Reign? :bump2:

I've never heard this rumor. When did it 1st come out. I would have never belived it...those lyrics sound like they are 100% Fresh Prince.

Its been around for a very long time!! I think its more to do with the flow as opposed to the lyrics of the song. It does bear resemblance to the way Rakim flows on a track!

I've never heard this rumor. When did it 1st come out. I would have never belived it...those lyrics sound like they are 100% Fresh Prince.

Its been around for a very long time!! I think its more to do with the flow as opposed to the lyrics of the song. It does bear resemblance to the way Rakim flows on a track!

This sounds more reasonable to me. It must be the flow and not the lyrics.

I've always thought that 'Summertime' was a bit different from the rest of their songs, at least from their previous work. Not saying that it was bad, of course. just different. I've always found FP's voice strange in that song. He said that he had a cold when he recorded it, lol.

I like the song much, but I can't say it's one of my faves from them.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I searched Google for the answer to this because so many people have tried to tell me it was Rakim. My boy Magneto who pretty much knows everything about everything swears its MC Juice aka J.U.I.C.E. from Chicago. The dude who was one of the best battle rapper in the mid-late 90'.s Think Wake Up Show, Molemen, Vakill, Chino XL and Supernatural.

Anyways I refuse to believe it because I don't think Juice is a good song writer but I also agree that Jeff is kinda holding back because he has nothing to gain by releasing unnecessary info that might make Will look bad.

Peep and if ANYONE gets a confirmation from Jeff please let me know. Email me or whatever. Jeff's old house number in 90's used to be 471-DOPE. I don't know why I just posted that but I thought it was funny. Don't try calling the number as it hasn't been his in like 15 years. As a kid I used to call and just studder before hanging up.

http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112584

Why do people believe crap like that. Until Code Red, JJ+FP was very exclusive 2 themselves. They almost never had guest emcees, singers, producers. "Summertime" is straight JJ+FP. Jeff has confirmed that no one else wrote "Summertime"...the article may even be somewhere in this post.

• Members

Why do people believe crap like that. Until Code Red, JJ+FP was very exclusive 2 themselves. They almost never had guest emcees, singers, producers. "Summertime" is straight JJ+FP. Jeff has confirmed that no one else wrote "Summertime"...the article may even be somewhere in this post.

Because ghost witting is a VERY VERY common thing within hip-hop. Just ask Jeff's hypeman (Skillz).

BallerStatus.com: Have you done ghost-writing for any artists?

Juice: When I first moved back to Chicago from L.A., I began working with Clubhouse Entertainment. I was part of a writing team that produced "Summertime" by Will Smith, "The Kissing Game" by High Five, "Pass the Toilet Paper" by OutHere Brothers. I would freestyle in the booth and if there were any hot lines to be used, they would use 'em. I didn't really understand publishing at the time and didn't really care because those cats kind of took me in. We got sued by Kool and the Gang for the sample and nobody made money. It let me know that I had what it took to be a writer though. I am still working with the producer of "Summertime" (K Fingers aka AZZA). Everyone in Chicago knows he's still my guy. We just wrote and produced an album for a new artist, and I'm re-writing "Summertime" for him (He's a shorty, so we think it could work again). We'll see.