JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Do people laugh when you say you like Will Smith?

Well from my expierence here in peru, people dont seem to care much about WS or Hip-Hop or any other thing besides reggaeton & cumbia..so yeah they used to laugh at me, for Ws & my preference for black music

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

People also laugh at me here in Nebraska when I say I listen to Will Smith. I just brush it off.

I did my Entertainment Marketing final on DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. The teacher actually enjoyed my presentation. Most of the kids couldn't care less that I listened to Smith though.

In here people like hip hop, but they dont know much about it. At least not about the real one. They know 50 and Eminem, some know Lil Wayne and the realest rapper they might know might be Snoop, but nothing else. Will is known for the men in black, giggy, miami and the fboba song. Some even know switch and summertime, but nothing deeper than that. I wish Will would have shown the world his real talent as a rapper..

I just remember, last week, I was on a soccer forum, and there is a Rap thread. Everybody put his selection with Youtube videos.

So I posted my JJFP/WS selection (GANBT, Parents Just Don't Understand, Summertime, Switch).

And someone said to me "ok, WS is nice (ironically), but THIS is rap" and he posted his selection. Then, he said "WS is not rap, it is R'n'B" (can you believe it ?!).

By talking with them, I understand that, for these guys, rap is cursing, talking about killing people and f***ing b****es, violence, aggressivity,...

So, finally, I said "ok, it's obvious that you claim to know rap but you don't, so this is my last message on this thread".

Edited by Romano338

• Members

I wish Will would have shown the world his real talent as a rapper..

But then he wouldn't be so popular, would he? The man knows he audience, and exploits it. Fair game to him.

Actually no, no-one has ever laughed at me for liking WS's music. Most people actually like his music, yeah, its mostly coz of Summertime, Jiggy, Switch etc, but they consider him a rapper as well as an actor. I dont think many actually own CD's, but they dont shrug his rap career off like it never happened.

Actually no, no-one has ever laughed at me for liking WS's music. Most people actually like his music, yeah, its mostly coz of Summertime, Jiggy, Switch etc, but they consider him a rapper as well as an actor. I dont think many actually own CD's, but they dont shrug his rap career off like it never happened.

Yeah it's basically the same with me too, some people are into a more aggressive rap but they don't laugh at me for saying that I like Will's music

I agree with you AJ. I never had problems telling people I like hip hop or especially Wills music. They respect my taste of music as well as I respect theirs. No matter, if these people listen to pop, rock, hiphop, house or metal. Basicly it depends on who you're talking with. I think that people, who laugh about Will Smith being a rapper, are either younger (I'm talking about little wannabe-50s or wannabe-eminems) or hardcore heavy metal dudes, who think that hiphop is soft.

I'm not sure, it may be where you're from, people laugh when I tell them im into WS and don't know of anything prior to BWS. I'm not sure, but hip-hop isn't as popular where i'm from and i'm generally the oddball. The only hiphop they are exposed to is what's on the radio, which is mostly trash anyway.

Edited by shuga

I'm not sure, it may be where you're from, people laugh when I tell them im into WS and don't know of anything prior to BWS. I'm not sure, but hip-hop isn't as popular where i'm from and i'm generally the oddball. The only hiphop they are exposed to is what's on the radio, which is mostly trash anyway.

Yeah, it depends on where you from.

In USA, I'm not surprised hip-hop is comon and "accepted".

In France, less people listen to rap, and people who don't listen are like "Rap is sh!t, , lyrics are sh!t,..."

• 1 month later...