JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Sitcom Saga: TV Mom Claims Will Smith Was No Prince

Ale

viv1.jpg

Actress Janet Hubert is probably best known as Aunt Vivian on the Will Smith sitcom, 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air.'

The 53-year-old actress was fired from the show in 1993 and replaced by actress Daphne Maxwell Reid.

Now the twice-married, mother of one has penned a memoir, 'Perfection Is Not A Sitcom Mom' that is slated to be released early in 2010.

In the book, Hubert lashes out at Smith and accuses the then-hip hop superstar of sabotaging her and other talented actors who worked on the 30-minute NBC comedy.

In one excerpt from the tome, given to BV Buzz exclusively, Hubert writes: "Smith had people around him who made sure no one outshone him. I was happy to see Don Cheadle become the quality actor that he is, and often wondered how he made it past one episode, as Hilary's boyfriend, being such a fierce actor. No one could be on 'The Tonight Show,' that first season, except Will. And I mean no one."

In an effort to drive the point home, Hubert also recalled an incident where another actor was cut from a guest spot on the show after being too impressive at an early rehearsal for that episode.

"I recall the lovely and incredibly talented Countess Vaughn coming to guest star. Oh my God! The day of table read, she was pee-in-your-pants funny. The writers were howling, we were howling, so I knew she was history – banished into the cornfield. Many years later, after she had her own show, I had to tell her when she asked me why. 'Miss Janet why did I get cut from the episode,' she asked? Simply, my darling, you were too good," she recollected.

Hubert also vividly details her termination from 'Fresh Prince of Be-Air,' something she claims to have never anticipated.

She writes: "My agent called; it was time. He had a very funny sound to his voice, not the usual wonderfully funny Michael that I knew. 'Jaaaannnet,' he said, 'I got the offer and you're not gonna like it. They offered you 10 episodes.' Now, to the layperson who doesn't know what this means, each show is an episode, and the usual amount is 22, with perhaps two extra. But the show was a hit so they would order 26, with each show taking a week to shoot. I remember swallowing very, very hard. [My son] Eli was only three and half months old. That meant a cut in salary of more than $100,000."

"We had a new house, a new baby, I had just opened a new exercise studio, signed a 3-year lease, and my ex wasn't working at the time. And they knew this," the excerpt continued. "'That's not all,' Michael said. 'They don't want you to work on any other shows. You can only do two guest starring roles.' What? Who? I stammered. I couldn't breathe. What do we do, Michael? What do we do? 'We pass,' Michael said. 'This is a dirty deal, and they know it.' OK, I trust you, I said. Michael had been my agent for more than 20 years. 'OK sweetie, I will call you back,' he said."

In the last of the passage, Hubert describes just how the news that she was being replaced was delivered, an ordeal she likens to a murder.

"My mind was going in a million places. OK, I thought, they will come back; this is how they do it. They always come back. I started into the kitchen where Rayna – my friend, housekeeper and nanny was. She was doing dishes as baby E was enjoying a swing. I knelt down, kissed his head, and waited for the next round of negotiations. They never came. The next time Michael called he said, 'They are going to recast your role.' There was a beautiful stained glass window that I designed in the bedroom, and the windows were open, so my neighbors probably heard me scream. And that beautiful window probably has many cracks in it. Time of Death: approximately 3 pm. The real Vivian Banks was murdered," the excerpt closed.

Since being replaced on 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air,' Hubert has had guest turns on 'Gilmore Girls,' 'One Life To Live,' 'Friends,' 'NYPD Blue' and 'The Jamie Foxx Show.'

"For over 20 years I have been dealing with untruths as to my departure. I have decided to defend myself now. If I am going to be a part of the witch hunt this time, the witch is going to fight back," Hubert told BV Buzz.

For more details on the actress and when the book hits stores, visit her online at www.janethubert.com.

viv2.jpg

Source:

http://www.bvbuzz.com/2009/06/17/sitcom-saga-tv-mom-claims-will-smith-was-no-prince/?icid=main|aimzones|dl4|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bvbuzz.com%2F2009%2F06%2F17%2Fsitcom-saga-tv-mom-claims-will-smith-was-no-prince%2F

Edited by Ale

well, i think that Janet is not that wrong, cause Will really has a big ego and there are a lot similarities to ready rocks story. I'm pretty sure Will isn't that good at handling such situations where he's outshined by someone else. for example he didnt even wanna hear the truth, when he and his crew where on tour back in the day with rundmc, where he asked Ready C if he also thinks that Slick Ricks a better rapper then him. and i think its legitimate to say that Wills trying to catch every opportunity to put himself into the center.

I'm so over this, but I really hope that's not her going around all these gossip sites commenting to the posters, b/c if it is it's sad and she's saying a lot of stuff that's untrue

By: janetakavivbanks on 6/18/2009 11:29AM

Neutral vote downvote up

Dear Natalie

please check out my website, we are doing wonderful things for the children. I have two amazing young brothers who work with me creating positive images for children, instead of the current thug images that they are bombarded with.

Dwayne Fergeson, and Vincent Spencer are a part of my wonderful team.

Downloads are there for the children

BTY

I don't see Smith anywhere giving back anything to those upon whose shoulders he has stood.

you must remember to respect those who came before you.

Be blessed

from the bv blog. I hope that's not her b/c that person certainly isn't doing her any favors.

Edited by MissAshley

• Members

I think that there may be truth to this. Now let me preface this by saying I'm a huge Will Smith fan. Always have been, always will be. I've also been a Will Smith apologist over the years, defending against those who don't care for his music.

That said, we don't know that what is being said in the book ISN'T true. I mean, this also (it should be noted) is referring to the Will of back in the day. The young perhaps naive and new to all of this fame stuff Will Smith.

What was he? 18? 19? I can imagine that someone like that would be hesitant to let someone upstage him thinking that all that attention he's getting at the time is going to focus on someone else. Do I think everything that is being said about him is true? I don't know. And neither does anyone in here.

I think it's common sense and just natural to defend those you like. When I first read this on the AHH rumors page I said to myself "I hope this isn't true". But I could see where it might be. Not saying Will is like that NOW but as a young kid coming up, and I'm sure he had a lot of say in how things went on that show, considering his name was in the title of the show and how popular the show was.

And is it really hard to imagine a young cocky kid with a lot of power perhaps abusing some of that power?

Lastly, I remember working at a record store and the boss mentioned that there were many people who noticed that they replaced the first Aunt Viv with a lighter skinned black lady. That there were those who were critical of that move. Whether it was done for that reason, or another, I dunno.

But to just discount her as a jealous person or saying what she has to say has no merit I think it is a bit much.

You can still like Will Smith, without taking apart anyone that stands against him.

Just my thoughts.

• Members

Yes, we don't know how it was, but maybe she could forget that, more than 15 years later.

I dunno man...without trying to lend credence to her (because as I've read a bit more, and saw that video Alfonso did, and then heard someone else telling me about some stuff she allegedly said on set to Tatyana I think she's crazy) I can imagine someone being angry even this long after the fact.

If Will (allegedly) blackballed her and basically ruined her career chances by slandering her and whatnot, sheeeeeeeeeeeeit, I'd be pissed off too! lol I'd STILL be mad, if my career choice had been ruined because someone else was lying about me. No matter how many years have gone by. No statute of limatations on THAT. ha ha.

That said, I have begun to to wonder about her. I hate to think people would lie and make stuff up like this. Perhaps there's a bit of truth in that SHE BELIEVES IT.

*shrugs*