JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The Eminem Relapse Conspiracy

Trey

eminem_relapse_cover_art-300x300.jpg

Yesterday the Internets were ablaze with z-shares and zip files of Eminem’s much anticipated album, Relapse. It seems every release by any rapper of note leaks these days, but a May 7th leak for a May 19th release date can do a lot of damage—even to Eminem.

But, while most of the hip-hop blogosphere has already digested the album and decided whether or not they like it, some of us at GIANT think Eminem may have a game-changing trick up his sleeve.

If you’ve listened to Relapse then you know that the majority of the album is a maniacal and murderous marathon helmed by Em’s alter-ego Slim Shady. If this is actually the real album, then it leaves much to be desired. But would Em really return from a five-year self-imposed exile to drop a revved-up caricature of himself spitting about serial killing and pill-popping? We just don’t see it.

Our hypothesis is that this “Leak” is not the real album at all, just a collection of crazed throwaway tracks. Or perhaps it’s the mixtape that should have led up to the album’s release. Another theory is that the Relapse that hit the net yesterday is only disc one of a double album.

Em says it himself on the second to last track of the album. When Marshall drops off the final copy of Relapse to the always angry Steve Berman, Steve says “What’s this s**t? Two CDs?” Em replies “That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you man, it’s two albums.” Then he exits the room.

There have already been rumors that Mr. Mathers will drop two albums this year, but Relapse is too redundant and incomplete to be either of them in their entirety.

No Em, “We don’t believe you, you need more people!”

Marshall Mathers may be a bit crazy but he is also multi-faceted. We’ve heard very personal, political and insightful records from him before and he has been through way too much in his personal life to not come clean here.

Keep in mind that Em has dealt with prescription drug addiction, a second divorce from Kim, the adoption of a second daughter and the murder of his best friend ALL since his last album, Encore, came out. He has also raised his beloved and often-mentioned daughter Hailie Jade.

We find it highly unlikely that an Em comeback album would not meaningfully address Hailie or Proof. Would not berate Bush, kill Kim or critique society. Em’s pen game is still mean and his lyrics and storytelling are on point, but his genius has more meaningful content to address. Unfortunately outside of “Deja Vu” and “Beautiful” Relapse chooses to focus on a sick-minded marauder raping, pillaging and torturing innocent bystanders. Slim Shady may be a chainsaw-wielding psycho, but Eminem and Marshall Mathers are not.

Let us not overlook the fact that the reclusive perfectionist known as Dr. Dre would probably not make his return to hip-hop with these beats. Relapse’s production isnt bad by any means, but none of the tracks are jaw-dropping sonic revelations.

Remember that Dre has been hibernating too. He has been cuddled up with Detox for the last eight years refusing to release it till its juuussst right. We can’t imagine a scenario in which Dre would return to society with the batch of instrumentals featured on Relapse. He and Eminem are both capable of too much more.

The highly unlikely coup that could knock rap on its ass if it came to be, is if Detox is the second disc of Relapse. The theme would work to symmetrical perfection and Em could redeem himself over Dre’s dopest s**t.

Maybe we’re just conspiracy theorists, but we can’t believe that one of rap’s GOATs would return just to rant and rave. We know that Eminem is doper than this and have a suspicion that his marketing genius is about to be revealed too. For all the aforementioned reasons we are calling Relapse a Tour-de-Farce. If we’re wrong, chalk it up to our own paranoia.

But if we’re on to something, remember you read it here first.

The Eminem Relapse Conspiracy

Ha ha...i think it's funny that they are tearing apart the album and it's the actual album. And that I actually like alot of this album compared 2 the wack D12 albums, the Re-Up album, and Eminem's last 2 albums.

I listened to 'Relapse' when it was leaked on the Internet and I didn't like it. 'The Slim Shady LP' and 'The Marshall Mathers LP' are still his best albums IMO, especially the last one.

But it's sad how Internet leaks are damaging music/movie industry's sales lately. It happened a few weeks ago too with the movie 'Wolverine'.

I don't think it will affect Eminem too much though.

Edited by Ale

The Slim Shady LP will always be my favorite album by him...followed by The Marshall Mathers LP. Since then, i've only truely liked 10 Eminem songs. Relapse is far from his 1st 2 mainstream albums, but i think it's so much better than anything he's done since those days.

The internet is destroying the music industry. Leaked albums and even official downloads have made it so that there are less music fans who acctually care about the artists or their album. People can't make real money in the industry with out doing all the other stuff involved in the industry. Everything is effected. The radio sucks. The artists who are popular are all the same and seriously lack talent. Real artists no longer make music because they don't want 2 adjust 2 all the B.S. of the current industry.

I must admit, I'm starting to like this album more and more. It just grows on you if you listen to it! Sure, it's on the same level has his first two albums, but still, it has some dope songs on it! I just wished he would stop using that stupid voice!

The Slim Shady LP will always be my favorite album by him...followed by The Marshall Mathers LP. Since then, i've only truely liked 10 Eminem songs. Relapse is far from his 1st 2 mainstream albums, but i think it's so much better than anything he's done since those days.

The internet is destroying the music industry. Leaked albums and even official downloads have made it so that there are less music fans who acctually care about the artists or their album. People can't make real money in the industry with out doing all the other stuff involved in the industry. Everything is effected. The radio sucks. The artists who are popular are all the same and seriously lack talent. Real artists no longer make music because they don't want 2 adjust 2 all the B.S. of the current industry.

Ever since the Cd was introduced music is too expensive. Even tho I dont agree with illegal downloading, the music industry has to take some part of the blame. in france cd's are upt to 5, even 10 dollars cheaper, and people actaully sell more records there.

Well Em's album still sold over 600,000 copies over the 1st week so I don't think the downloading affecting him too much

Yeah well Em did pretty good sales considering he hasn't released an album in over 4 years, it just goes to show you that Em could throw up on record and it'll sell, now what's dissapointing to see is that Method Man/Redman & Busta Rhymes didn't sell much 'cause they put out quality music

Edited by bigted

I checked out Busta new cd and its so dope! I dont know why he sold that little...

Kinda answered ya own question there...

I got Relapse a couple days ago, barring the annoying voice, its my favourite material since MMLP. I think the time he took off was spent well in both areas of his life.

Edited by Big Willie

I checked out Busta new cd and its so dope! I dont know why he sold that little...

Kinda answered ya own question there...

I got Relapse a couple days ago, barring the annoying voice, its my favourite material since MMLP. I think the time he took off was spent well in both areas of his life.

I agree! He's finally going back to his roots! Apparently 'Relapse 2' is supposed to be even better! Looking forward to it!