JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Eminem & Dj Jazzy Jeff

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like him on the mic. I just don't like it when a grown man who is rich, married, in shape, and living in a nice neigborhood pretends 2 be in the midst of a gritty gangsta scene in the middle of the hood, broke, drinking up and smoking up, and sleeping around. I think this flow, delivery and voice are actually pretty good. He has shown over the years that he can make music that is good, relevant, and progressing. It's becuz he's faking it in half of his music lyrically that make me don't resect him. In 1996 when he was saying "Gangsta Rap is dead...gangsta rap is wack" and was talking about making positive Hip-Hop music and real music without cussing, dropped the Aftermath album...but then changed right back 2 get more fame, i lost most of my respect for him. We already know how he feels and where he's at mentally...so why make simple, uninspiring music? I love the interlude on The Show soundtrack where he calls gangsta rap strictly "entertainment."

• Members

^ That's the thing with Gangsta Rap. It's a bit of a no win situation. You can start out living in the ghetto, spitting the ghetto lifestyle, and getting respected. But when you start making money, you move out of the hood, into a nice mansion with the family and kids. So then do you keep spittin' the ghetto lifestyle to make people think you're still 'real', or do you start making positive, uplifting Hip-Hop music, reflecting the current lifestyle?

I guess, you could stay in the ghetto, but as Ice-T put it "No one wants to live there."

It's pretty damn difficult to keep it real within the eye of the media.

It's not hard 2 be real. U can still nod your head 2 where u come from...but nobody is supposed 2 stay in the same place in life. There's no shame in moving on. Music should 2. Tell an old story if it's really necessary, but with all that growth in life, it's basically sinfull 2 make stupid, pointless, fake music. Share your growth with your listener. On top of that, with gangsta rap, u are exploiting a negative lifestyle...it's not like they are lyrically staying in one place 2 push positivity. FP and LL were never gangsta, but listen 2 their recent albums, part of them is very much like when they came out...but all of their growth they've gone thru' is in there 2. With gangsta rap, u are basically stuck on the following topics....weed, drinking, drugs, guns, and sex. 2 stay there in your music is immature, stupid, repetitive, and uninspiring. There is no second story in the house of gangsta rap.

I once heard the phrase "Gangsta Rap is wack"....and i agree.

• Members

With gangsta rap, u are basically stuck on the following topics....weed, drinking, drugs, guns, and sex. 2 stay there in your music is immature, stupid, repetitive, and uninspiring. There is no second story in the house of gangsta rap.

I once heard the phrase "Gangsta Rap is wack"....and i agree.

Which is why I said it's a no win situation.

But I wouldn't agree that "Gangsta Rap is wack." I admit that it gets a little repetitive with all this young [fake] rappers coming out, aspiring to be bad boy emcees. I like JJFP, obviously, but I also admire the greats of Gangsta Rap, such as Kool G Rap, Ice-T, Ice Cube, etc. for what they've done for Hip-Hop.

Edited by Ataraxia

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...