JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Industry Insider Reveals "Secret Wars" Between LL Cool J and Jay-Z

bigted

Industry Insider Reveals "Secret War" Between LL Cool J and Jay-Z

May 15th, 2009 | Author: Salima KoromaFormer entertainment lawyer turned author and part-time blogger, Reggie Ossé, shared in his blog today stories of a long ago “secret war” between LL Cool J and Jay-Z [click here]. The blog, called Combat Jack With Today’s Mathematics, recounts Damon Dash and DJ Clark Kent’s efforts to provoke a Rap battle between the then '90s king, LL, and the relatively unknown rookie rapper, Jay-Z.

“[Dame and Clark] figured if Jay was known as the dude that kilt LL in battle, record labels would take note and give him that much sought after deal,” wrote Ossé. “Dame and Clark had the plan laid out, whenever LL was spotted by either of them, they would page each other and Jay and get him to meet at whatever location LL was. This went on a couple of times. Once contacted, Jay would roll up to the club, bar or whatever venue and lay in the cut, waiting for his opportunity to attack LL in battle. Dame would polly with, then taunt LL about how Jay was nicer than him, was ready to take his spot even. LL's ego would result in him agreeing to go head to head against the young and then unknown challenger.”

At the time (circa 1992) LL had found success with his Grammy-winning album Mama Said Knock You Out, and was known as the king of battle Rap. However, as Ossé tells it, LL had lost those secret battles with Jay-Z.

“Dame and Clark would end up in my office the following day, laughing about how Jay lit that ass up. Every time too. They was a bit sour too, cause after each battle, LL would kill the vibe, crush Jay's high by flinging the ‘Yo, my next record is dropping next month, uhm, when's yours coming out again, scrap?’ line at him. Jay, Dame and Clark didn't like that ****. Not one bit. I'm betting those battles are the reason LL is still kinda aggie towards Jay.”

Between 2006 and 2008, Jay-Z's presidency at Def Jam Records resulted in a public disapproval from veteran artist LL Cool J, who felt that his career and projects were mishandled, despite deing an artist since 1985 for the label.

I read this interesting article a couple days ago and I don't know what to believe. I could've sworn I read a while back that LL did meet Jay-Z once in the streets in '95 and beat him. For those who don't know much about Jay, Jay was even more incredible before 1996's Reasonable Doubt album. He had a real quick tongue rapid fire flow so it is believable. It wouldn't surprise me.

Well LL Cool J said on "The Truth" song on Kay Slay's album: "I used to lose battles on purpose so cats could dream more"

I always wondered if there were subliminals aimed at each other on records between these two! I am convinced LL made a subliminal diss to Jay Z in response to Jay's line on Encore:

Jay-Z - "Who you gone find doper than him/with no pen just draw off inspiration"

It's on his track with Freeway called 'What You Want'

LL - "I use a pen but there's still never been better."

What do you think? Its common knowledge that Jay doesn't write any of his lyrics down. I dunno it made me think..maybe I'm reaching!

Well I think you're onto somethin' Da Brakes, when "Exit 13" came out a lot of people were thinkin' that LL's dissing Jay-Z on "Dear Hip Hop": "If he's so hot then why is the culture frozen?"

Edited by bigted

Hmmm...not really sure what 2 think here. I'm not a Jay-Z fan, but i could never imagin him being a real battle rapper. I don't even remember the stuff he did towards Nas. I can't imagin him being a worthy contender 2 LL. I can't wee LL working under Jay-Z willingly if all this was true. After 10, LL's promotion quickly went downhill. I only ever thought their was tension there because LL, being a legend, had 2 work under Jay-Z. I mean, look at Russell Simmons and then look at Jay-Z. That's a big adjustment. Look what the label did and didn't do under Jay-Z. It seemed like the whole label was set up just 2 benifit Jay-Z. In the meantime, i'm just gonna wait for LL 2 change his mind and do a full album again.

well i never heard LL freestyling, just can't believe he's good at it. I would've loved to see FP freestyling in his golden days back in '88

You should check out this dope freestyle LL did last summer called "Marley Marl Freestyle":

http://allhiphop.com/stories/multimedia__m...6/20376220.aspx

well i never heard LL freestyling, just can't believe he's good at it. I would've loved to see FP freestyling in his golden days back in '88

You should check out this dope freestyle LL did last summer called "Marley Marl Freestyle":

http://allhiphop.com/stories/multimedia__m...6/20376220.aspx

thanks ted! but honestly its average for me. i like this one a lot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=...p;v=URoWEeoLF5c

That's an awesome freestyle by Skillz but when it comes to talent comparing LL to Skillz is like comparing Shaq to Wilt Chamberlain you can't lose with either