JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Least Favourite Will Smith Album?

• Members

I know it's cliche to say 'Born to Reign', but I'm gonna go with that anyway, 'cause I'd be lying if I said anything different. I think Will had some nice concepts for the album, but the execution wasn't always up to scratch. And then, of course, there's that god-awful Men in Black II single. Urgh.

What does everyone else think?

it is definately born2reign, but the MIIB Single was nevertheless one of his hottest songs. the sound of that track is awesome. there were a lot of outstanding tracks on that album, but the overall feeling wasn't just right. the cover and inlay was just wack and no Jazzy Jeff at all. a lot of tracks are pretty worse and it is maybe the album with the most of his bad songs on it.

Tra-Knox was still nice tho. but i can live with it as long as referring to it as an experiment he did. something new and different he wanted to try.

• Members

Thanks, Julie.

The topic was referring to Will's albums as a solo artist- not the stuff he did as JJFP (perhaps I didn't make that clear enough?) But anyways...

Thanks for your replies, people!

For me it's def Born to Reign. There's some good tracks like Born to Reign, Act Like You Know, How Da Beat Goes, MIB2, Block Party and Give Me Tonight..then theres a lot of wack ish like Maybe, Willow is a Player, Momma Knows. I dont get how he had 40 tracks made for this album and yet his worst crap is on it lol. So like half the album is good, half is crap. I think the best track off the album could've been "Born To Reign" had it been over 2 minutes! I remember when I first heard it and I thought it was gonna set the tone for the album and then the whole album fell off. The tracks I do like still dont rank in a top 10 list for me at all.

To quote Will from "Pump Up the Bass" off "Hes the DJ, I'm the Rapper" ..theres a simple formula Will needs for hit records..

JEFF + PRINCE = HIT RECORDS ...SOUNDS SO EASY, WORD I KNOW IT DOES!

• Members

I think the best track off the album could've been "Born To Reign" had it been over 2 minutes! I remember when I first heard it and I thought it was gonna set the tone for the album and then the whole album fell off. The tracks I do like still dont rank in a top 10 list for me at all.

To quote Will from "Pump Up the Bass" off "Hes the DJ, I'm the Rapper" ..theres a simple formula Will needs for hit records..

JEFF + PRINCE = HIT RECORDS ...SOUNDS SO EASY, WORD I KNOW IT DOES!

Agreed. 'Born To Reign' really grabbed me when I first heard it. I couldn't understand why it was so short.