JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Best books and DVDS

Hello !

What are the best books and DVDS (no movies !) about Will Smith and JJFP for you ?

I always wanted to have something about WS and/or JJFP music ! Books are DVDS !

About DVDS, I don't think there is something I'de like to have : something about music, with clips, making of,... or maybe lives !

I think the best they could do is 3 or 4 DVDS with clips, lives and television passage ! But it does not exist :(

About books, I'de like to have something rather about music too, about JJFP, and WS solo career !

With most releases u will get a mix of music and movies, most of them leaning towards teh movies side of his career becuz that's what sells.

Will Smith featuring DJ Jazzy Jeff: Live In Concert is a must have. It's JJ+FP doing a show in 2005 for a select audience. They cover a few things off L+F, a handful of solo hits and JJ+FP hits. It's just dope...i would watch it again and again.

The Will Smith Video Collection: This has all of his videos from "Men In Black" thru' "So Fresh" (unless u get the VHS) The DVD has more video footage compared 2 the VHS.

Will Smith: Biography. The A&E network did special on it and i found a few copies on ebay. I'm sure they are still there or at least pop up there from time to time. It's not a back biography on him.

VHS:

DJ Jazzy Jeff + The Fresh Prince: Summertime: And Other Hits. This covers all of their videos from "Girls..." thru' "Summertime." It's loaded with classic JJ+FP footage and interviews.

Jazzy Jeff + Fresh Prince: Greatest Hits. This has most of the JJ+FP videos (it doesn't include "The Things That U Do" for some reason. At the end it has some behind the scenes footage and interviews...most of it from the previous JJ+FP video.

BOOKS:

I don't know that there are really any good books on him. I have a few short ones or magazine styles ones. Most of them have very general information but i pick them up when i see them or when they are really cheap. I can't really help u with this one.

The Will Smith Video Collection: This has all of his videos from "Men In Black" thru' "So Fresh" (unless u get the VHS) The DVD has more video footage compared 2 the VHS.

I ordered the DVD yesterday :thumbsup:

Do you have any links for all that stuff ? Or maybe a name of site where we can buy it ? Cause I don't know a lot of site !

Not forgetting the JJFP dvd that Tim made!!

What is that ?

I searched on the forum, I didn't find anything !!

Thanks for your answers !

If anyone want to say anything about a DVD or a book, he can (this is not just the topic for "me", this is to talk about every DVDS and books !!)

EDIT

I just found "Will Smith Concert Live featuring DJ Jazzy Jeff" on ebay, a "Buy It Now" product for 2.49€ + 3.90€ (delivery) (total : $8) ! So I bought it :D

Edited by Romano338

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I read two books, and here is my opinion.

Just The Facts Biographies - Will Smith by Matt Doeden

091116090049509306.png

This is a really nice book ! Very complete, well explained, a full of details. The pictures are really nice too. The global presentation is very good. Each step of Will's life is explained in detail, each movie, each album.

In short, this is a really good book !

Hip-Hop - Will Smith by Jim Corrigan

091116090055151258.png

I read this one after the other, and maybe it was a mistake. The pictures are really good, really nice (I think it is a little bit better than the other book, which is really good). Problems are in texts. The presentation is superb.

But the contain of texts is not really good. The chronology used is really weird. Sometimes, they talk about something, and it's like they need to finish the hole story, even if the end of the story is in a few years. For example, when they talk about 1998. They say that Will & Jada got a son, and then, they say "and two years later, they got a girl, Willow". And then, they talk about music and movies from 1998.

A lot of things are like that. Chrnology is not really good.

I noticed a big mistake : Their debut album Rock the House, arrived in music stores, in early 1987. It contained the single "Parents Just Don't Understand", a song that would proper DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince to stardom. :boggled:

There is not a lot of detail. Or, I must say, it's not egal. Sometimes there is details, sometimes there is just one line, nothing more (for example, they just say that he made two movies, Men In Black II and Bad Boys II. And this is it for the two movies). SOmetimes, there is some details, but it's like they don't know how to write it and how to come to it. So there is a sentence, and when we read it, it's quite weird.

There is a good point in the Internet Resources : www.jazzyjefffreshprince.com The unofficial Web site of DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince. It contains a wealth of information about the hip-hop duo and their respective solo careers. :D

I will not tell you "don't buy this book", this is not a bad book (maybe the things I wrote can give this impression) but if you can buy just one, I'll tell you "buy the other" !

Edited by Romano338

• 8 months later...

VHS:

DJ Jazzy Jeff + The Fresh Prince: Summertime: And Other Hits. This covers all of their videos from "Girls..." thru' "Summertime." It's loaded with classic JJ+FP footage and interviews.

Yo, Romano, probably I'm a bit late, but if you're still interested, you can get this here:

Summertime & Other Hits [VHS]

http://www.amazon.com/Summertime-Other-Jazzy-Fresh-Prince/dp/6302144027/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1280316088&sr=8-2

Edited by Ale

AJ broke it down pretty damn well...

What I have..

JJ+FP Greatest Hits Video - GREAT VIDEO! MUST HAVE JJ+FP! All the videos except "The Things U Do", very nice to have the "I'm Looking for the One(to be with me)" on there

Will Smith Live in Concert (ft. DJ Jazzy Jeff) - another must have! You'll see exclusives such as "Brand New Funk 2K5" (from YouTube which I uploaded) and "Tell Me Why" (ft. Mary J Blige) live. Real dope!

JJ+FP Greatest Hits Video - GREAT VIDEO! MUST HAVE JJ+FP! All the videos except "The Things U Do", very nice to have the "I'm Looking for the One(to be with me)" on there

Yup, this one is on Amazon too, Romano. If you still want it..

Greatest Hits [VHS]

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Hits-Jazzy-Fresh-Prince/dp/6304946139/ref=sr_1_4?s=video&ie=UTF8&qid=1280398655&sr=1-4

Edited by Ale