JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

When Did You Fall In Love With Hip Hop?

Turntable

Hard to tell...

I think it was approximately 8 or 9 years ago (today I'm 21), when I started to listen to a radio which slogan is "Premier sur le rap" : "First on Rap Music". At the beggining, it was not listenning to the rap music, but for a show, every night (I'm still listenning to it today !).

And I guess I discovered rap music by the six songs that passed on radio during the show.

The first hip hop CDs I got are "Nuttea" (not rap, but kind of ragga/rap), Disiz la Peste (french rapper), and the single "Stan" (Eminem ; love that song !).

Then came Fonky Family and Sniper, two french crew.

Today, I listen almost only rap music. Eminem, Sinik (probably the best french rapper today, he is really really good), JJFP, Will Smith,... and I still have (and sometimes listen) Sniper, Snoop Dogg, Booba (french rapper), Sefyu (french rapper), Tupac, The Game,...

But, to link with my beginning, and the radio, today I don't listen the music that passed on this radio : I think they must change their slogan 'cause I don't think it is "rap". Just some things that absolutely don't look like rap music... Or maybe it is just because I grew up and I prefer an other style of music.

On the other hand, I discovered JJFP and Will Smith's music very lately. It was approximately 8 or 9 months ago. I fall on (I don't know if we use this expression in english !) an episode of The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, and I have not seen any episode of FPOBA since maybe 6 years ! I remembered the song, and I decided to search on the web if Will Smith has done others songs.

And I found all these albums, all these songs !

I decided to listened the songs by order of date, and I fall in love from the firts song : "Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble", that is my favourite JJFP's song !

And you know what, it is amazing : I just check my CDs to see the date of the first rap music' CDs I have. And I have a CD "NRJ Music Award" I bought before I started listen rap music. And you know what song is on that CD, and I just dicovered that it is on this CD ? "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" !!!!!!

Here is my story, I hope I didn't make too much english's fools, especially the past conjugaison...

Edited by Romano338

I was about 11 years old. I didnt really listen to music.. The only CD's I had where The Blues Brothers Soundtrack and a Aretha Franklin GH. I didnt knew anything about music really.. I recognised Rock when I heard a guitar and I knew what soul was, because The Blues Brothers was my favorite movie back then.

Someday I got some money form my dad and somehow I decided to spend it on a Cd. So I went to the Cd store with no idea what to buy cause I didnt know any artists or something like that. So I looked around, untill I saw this CD that somehow grabbed my attention.. I dont know what it was (I guess I was impressed by the cover) but I had the feeling I should take this one.. So I bought it. It was LL's "G.O.A.T." album. I went home and played it.. And I was fascinated. It was a sound I never heard before.. And even tho I did not understand a word, I played it over and over again, because there was something about that sound that did not let me go. Eventually my brother in law noticed that I was playing LL Cool J all the time, so he gave me two of his CD's (Mobb Deep-Hell On Earth, Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers). I alos played them like crazy. As I got older my english got better and I stardet to understand more and more. It was like an adventure..lol.. Here were these Cd's I played for two years and now I suddenly understand what they are talking about.

With 13 I moved to the netherlands.. The dutch people are crazy about Hip Hop so very soon I was in the middle of this wonderfll culture. Ya'll helped me a lot too, because I learned a lot from ya'll (I'm still happy I decided to buy that WS Greatest Hits at the train station on my way home from school). I'm 19 now and even in this rather short period of time I saw artists and trends come and go, and I was able to build a pretty huge colection in the last 9 years. I also stardet writing rhymes myself.. At first in english ( iused to post them) and later in my own languages which I still do today.

And even tho I used to be more exited about everything when I was younger.. I still get this feeling when I hear real ish. Ya'll know what I'm talking about.