JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

When Did You Fall In Love With Hip Hop?

Turntable

I dug it when I first heard it. I was young, so who knows when that was (sometime in the early 90's). It just had a different sound to it compared to everything else. I began memorizing songs and playing them out. I think this is why I am the world's most accomplished rapper today.

I fell in love from the start. It was the mid-80's bleeding in2 the late 80's. My older cousin used to get all the latest Hip-Hop cassettes and we'd chill in the basement for hours just listening 2 it...talking about songs, learning lyrics, dancing all silly. Run-DMC, LL Cool J, JJ+FP, MC Hammer, Heavy D + The Boyz, Digital Underground were amoungst the favs. Hip-Hop was just so cool 2 us and something that felt like it was made for us as younger kids. My cousins also lived in a more urban area and since that was my home away from home, i grew up living the best of both worlds...hence the saying under my avatar.

I'm almost 21, but for me, I was exposed to hip-hop through the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I thought Will Smith was hillarious and I wanted to learn more about him so I looked online. At this same time, the year was right around '97,'98ish and "Big Willie Style" was just blowing up. I remember sitting on the school bus goin on a class trip to New York City and some girl had the album and I couldn't get enough of it. Of course I was too immature to really understand the lyrics but it was fun. That led me into "Willenium" and I couldn't get enough. I didn't really download music at all back then nor was I working so I never had money for CDs. Plus my parents would never let me get rap cds just because of the parental advisory sticker haha..

During those years, 99-early 02, I loved him and always requested his records played at our school dances. I remember going on AOL back in May or June '02 and hearing Black Suits Comin for the first time. I loved it! Apparently alot of other people did too cause it established a bigtime download record online. 3 days before I moved from Northern NJ to the Jersey Shore, I watched FP on MTV Beach House (which was in Seaside Heights on the Jersey Shore (where Big Ted lives)) ..I couldnt stop watching that hour long program. I must've watched it 5 times(re-runs) in a 24 hr span that weekend in June right before "Born to Reign" dropped. I picked up "Born to Reign" on the day it dropped and enjoyed it but not as much as the other too CDs. Later on that summer of '02, I picked up all the JJFP CDs and I was pretty happy.

During all this time, my only exposure to Rap was on MTV and VH1 - back when both networks actually played music. I remember Nelly blowin up, Eminem blowin up, Dre when he came back with The Chronic 2001, Jay-Z's hard knock life..etc. Thanks to the internet, from 2002 to even now, I branched out and found alot of rap.

2002-03--Alot of Run-DMC,Heavy D,Queen Latifah,LL Cool J, Kid N Play - stuff that wasnt too explicit

but as I grew older, I become infactuated with Snoop, Dre, Biggie and Jay-Z from 05-06, I know what the lyrics are about and understand them.

Right now, I have probably over 70GB of music on my computer. About 90% of it is hip-hop.

I actually love and hate hip-hop. I love it because of the beats, the clever lyricsim and punchlines that make you go "ooh damn I wish I said that..etc"..I love the elements of hip-hop. The dancing, grafiti, scratching and rapping. I just hate how poorly it's commercialized with stupid crap like Soulja Boy and DJ Unk..etc. Pathetic. Thats my story lol

I thought it happened as late as 99 when Willenium came out, and at a similar time i got TLCs fanmail and i guess that was the start of the rnb obsession too. But then when i got out all my old "dance" tapes they were full of hip hop, so as a kid i used to listen to it all the time. Me and my brother would go in the garage so my mum and dad couldnt hear how loud we were playing the music. The old woman next door could hear it tho, she hated us.

Growing up, I never really listened to music much. But as a kid, I remember riding around with my sisters listening to the hip hop they played in their cars. I enjoyed some of the songs, but never really got into it. I was a big Fresh Prince fan as a early teen, and I knew my cousin had a few Will Smith cds. He didn't really want them anymore cause he parents hated hip hop, so he gave me Willenium and Big Willie Style. I remember popping Willenium in and listening to Pump Me Up, and thinking how amazing Jeffs scratching was. I immediately became hooked (I was 15yrs old), and slowly bought all the JJFP albums. I started looking for music that related, checking out mix cds with JJFP tracks in them. Groups like Naughty by Nature and ATCQ caught my attention, and then I just started researching more and more. Listening to music was a daily routine after that. A year later, I was curious about how they made this music that I loved. Some how I heard about a computer program called FL Studio aka Fruity Loops, decided to try it out and I loved being able to create my own stuff. Never looked back since, music became my life, decided this is what I want to do with my life, and have been making beats for over 3yrs as well as learning to DJ and write rhymes.

Edited by bart5

I gotta go back to 1987. I liked hip-hop before then but I really didn't understand it. '87 was the year that a true classic album came out - Eric B. & Rakim's Paid In Full. There was one song on that album that caught me & still ranks as one of my favorite hip-hop songs of all-time. The song? I Ain't No Joke. It was when I heard that song that I knew I would be in love with hip-hop for the rest of my life.

Besides Paid In Full, 1987 also gave us the following classic albums: Kool Moe Dee's "How Ya Like Me Now", BDP's "Criminal Minded", LL's "Bigger & Deffer", Public Enemy's "Yo Bumrush The Show" and.... oh yeah, JJFP's "Rock The House".

Great times indeed.

In the early to mid nineties i listened to a lot of chart music and rap got in there. But wasn't 'til i started to buy music properly around 97 time that i started picking up on stuff like Will Smith, Beastie Boys, LL etc. So around that time really. Will Smith helped a lot. He's an accessible cat.

I enjoyed hip hop ever since I was a young boy but I'd say I fell in love with hip hop somewhere in the mid-90s('95/96/97 ish) when I was around 10/11 years old, around the time that LL Cool J released "Hey Lover" with Boyz II Men, I was more into r&b at that time and Boyz II Men were at the peak of things and my favorites, that song just blew my mind, I got LL Cool J's "All World" CD which was the first hip hop album. The love affair with hip hop just grew more from there. I started watching a lot of the hip hop and r&b videos on MTV Jams Countdown everyday after school(Nas' "If I Ruled The World", Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise", Blackstreet feat. Dr. Dre's "No Diggity", KRS One's "Step Into A World". and of course Will's "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" were among my favorites at that time) and tape the videos on VHS tapes, listen to Hot 97(which is the top hip hop/r&b station in NYC/NJ area) and make audio cassettes from them, and watch the "Fresh Prince Of Bel Air" more around that time, I had a lot of those episodes on VHS tapes as well, still have a lot of that stuff, converted them over to DVD format when I got the VHS/DVD recorder back in '06, the mid 90s was a great time indeed. Around the time I was in high school back in '99 I started thinking about rapping myself, studying all the flows of the great mcs, I wrote my first song back 9 years ago now April 9, 2000 called "Playa 4 Life" inspired from Biggie's "Big Poppa" 'cause I wanted to impress a girl I liked at the time, lol, that was a lot of fun, I started out with the mc name Phat Teddy then later on I became known as Big Ted. I'd start freestyling and writing rhymes at a bigger pace a lil' while after my grandmother passed away on December 17, 2001, she liked to write poetry herself, it felt like her spirit went in me when she left, I just kept going to express myself and I know that's not gonna ever stop no matter what. I really haven't been feeling too much of that pop stuff that was out in this decade of the 2000s on the most part that the radio and TV has been playing, I would always search on the internet for the real hip hop. By the time I graduated high school in 2003, I noticed that my passion for hip hop was above most of my peers that graduated with me from there, some of them doubted me but I didn't pay much attention to them and kept it moving. The greatest thing that happened was when I got this computer back in February 2004 and started posting on here in March 2004 at JJFP.com, my passion has grown knowing that there's peeps from all across the world that feel the same as I do about this great culture known as hip hop, the real hip hop will never die as long as we're here.

Yeah this is one of the best threads of the forum in awhile, so when and how did you fall in love with hip hop Turntable?