JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Rakim interview

Jin

http://www.allhiphop.com/stories/news/arch...1/20825387.aspx

By Remmie Fresh

Rakim, one of the legends of Hip-Hop, has attributed the lack of balance and possible death on Hip-Hop to his hometown of New York.

Rakim made the proclamation about New York in an interview with Jenny Boom Boom of Hot 93.7 in Connecticut.

“There is a certain realm of Hip-Hop [that is missing] and you might have to blame that on New York,” Rakim said. “New York is responsible for bringing that raw, that real gritty Hip-Hop, because we originated it.”

He said there was hope, if the region got back to the staple sound that hit its zenith in the 80’s and 90’s.

“New York and the East Coast, we gotta represent and do our part. And it’s OK for everybody else to do what they do. Then it will be a balance and everybody’ll be happy.”

Nevertheless, the pioneering rap artist remained optimistic about the future for the genre.

“I’m feeling good [and] optimistic and I’m hoping people understand that power that Hip-Hop got. I hope everybody understands the time we in right now, and I hope everybody wanna make some good music and keep Hip-Hop alive.”

Rakim was hard pressed to pinpoint a savior to return rap to the Golden Era, but he said that it could happen through a unified movement.

A LOT of the southern rappers are crap. There's just no way around it, they suck. You can definitely give them part of the blame. The real problem is the producers trying to make a quick buck. They are the one's that greenlight this crap and sign these people.

Rakim needs to come out with the 7th Seal already though.

Rakim's an awesome mc but I don't agree with him here, there's a lot of great music coming from NY and the east coast right now, no region is killing hip hop

Look, I love Rakim. If he's saying New York is at fault here, he's wrong. It's the one-hit wonders like souljah boy, mims, dj unk,..etc. Talentless cats like Lil Wayne and Yung Joc..Its not hard to figure out the formula for quick cash in hip-hop. Also, if Ra is bitchin about New York, if I remember correctly..Ra is New York! Wheres the album Ra? Stop sitting on your legendary butt and save rap.

Also, its not about regions. Its about hip-hop as a culture!

Look, I love Rakim. If he's saying New York is at fault here, he's wrong. It's the one-hit wonders like souljah boy, mims, dj unk,..etc. Talentless cats like Lil Wayne and Yung Joc..Its not hard to figure out the formula for quick cash in hip-hop. Also, if Ra is bitchin about New York, if I remember correctly..Ra is New York! Wheres the album Ra? Stop sitting on your legendary butt and save rap.

Also, its not about regions. Its about hip-hop as a culture!

:yeahthat: Amen to that!!