JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Spike Lee Isn't Interested In Making Barack Obama Film With Will Smith

Ale

'Everybody and their mama is doing a documentary on Obama,' director tells MTV News at Sundance.

The combination of Barack Obama, Will Smith and Spike Lee sounds like a winning ticket on any ballot, be it at the box office or beyond.

But according to the noted Brooklyn filmmaker — despite Obama's comments about his and Smith's similar ears and the Fresh Prince's own lobbying to play the president-elect — a movie involving all three would never happen.

"Not doing it," Lee told MTV News on Friday (January 16) during the Sundance Film Festival. "Everybody and their mama is doing a documentary on Obama."

The "Do the Right Thing" director also added that he's not interested in doing a project on Vice President-elect Joseph Biden either. "It's not an interest for me," he said. "I'd love to see them, but it's not something that I want to do."

Besides, Lee noted, Smith doesn't actually want to portray Barack Obama in a movie — he actually wants to be the president of the United States.

"Will wasn't joking," Lee said, laughing.

In past interviews, Smith has often explained that if he sets his mind on something, he truly believes he can achieve it.

"Obama beat him to the punch," Lee said. "They'll still let him run, though, if he wants. You gotta speak to Will, I guess. I can't speak for him."

Lee is set to host a symposium on Monday at Howard University centered on the inauguration of America's first black president.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1602977/story.jhtml